• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone heard, been denied, or accepted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart27

jrklr, I really don't know if the pilot community is truly closed. However, the day I was sworn in my recruiter informed me that the board was no longer selecting pilots. I also thought that I wouldn't be going to OCS until Dec/Jan, but I ended up w/ an Oct date. I guess my point is this: to all those applying or thinking about applying, you never know what might happen. Put your best foot forward b/c the worst thing you could do is nothing.

digger, I applied for SNA, SNFO, and Intell. I would say my scores helped, but if I had to pick one thing, I would say my LORs. They all came from people who knew me inside and out. If I was going to be selected, I wanted it to be for who I am and not what some State Rep or Military Officer made me out to be.

txpike

bart27, just got accepted for SNA for OCS start date Oct 18/19, must have had some people drop out already for that OCS start date. See ya in p-cola. Good luck to everybody else.

Mike26

Bart,
Welcome to the class, I am also in the 18 Oct class with a pilot slot, I look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

bigmikenjax

This is some info strait from Millington: OCS class dates in any designation, however only the best candidates are getting picked up. OCS has reserve spots for cilvilans to immediatley come in( the money is there I guess), for active duty, you must wait on the avg of 8 months before you get a date, WHY? I don't know... They are trying to weed out the candidates that really do not get it.. They recieve so many applicants who just won't cut the mustard.
For active duty, the wardrooms are very political, if you are have great commanders they will call the community mgrs and OCS on your behalf, then when it comes to selection time your name is in the hat....Mike

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hear alot of stuff here about whether programs really fill up or not. The implication is that recruiters are simply not willing to work to put people in the navyor don't know their jobs. These guys are paid to recruit people and the vast majority are not only good at it they care about who they put in the navy and to what program. PROGRAMS DO CLOSE! I can not say that more clearly. Some one here touched on the reason why there seems to be gaps in the closures. Sometimes a selectee will change their mind and refuse to ship, break a leg or be rolled back for some other reson. When that happens they will grab someone with an app sitting on the desk that states their availablitiy for OCS is doable. That is rare, and usually goes to a guy that got his app into the system before the program closed but hadn't been denied yet. On occassion a program will also open up for a very few slots after it has previously closed. That happened to NFO several weeks ago. That is usually because ROTC or USNA didn't fill the slots that were held open for them. Sometimes they just guess the manning numbers wrong or the attritions from OCS and Flight school hit a spike. Some of the guys here that claim they were slected when a program was closed simply got selected for the next year, or out year, as it called. Recruiting does not work on a calender year or the regular gov fiscal year. Folks just get confused. Programs do close. Your recruiter has to write a recommendation on you. Go ahead and pester the guy for weeks nd insist he submit an application for a closed program and see what kind a recommendation he writes on you. It won't matter if the program is closed or not when your app arrives in Millington. Recruiters can't guarentee slection but they can almost guarentee rejection by the recommendation they write for you. If you are best qualified your recruiter wants to put you in the navy.

pnbandit

Can anyone point me to the right direction. I'm currently in the Navy's IFS program and my friend is one of the instructor pilots. He has thought about joining the Navy, but wants to get a heads up prior to seeing a recruiter. He's looking for some tips and requirements for getting into OCS, specifically for a pilot or NFO slot. Also, when submitting the package, if he doesn't get selected for pilot or NFO, does he still have an obligation to join?
thanks,

gnorman911

To all you gators out there, A seminole here, I got accepted to the Navy aviation program about mid april, and right now I am waiting to hear when I will start ocs. I didn't apply to any other service so I don't know about them. But when I applied to the aviation program they said the numbers being accepted were really low.

knn7

Well, I was not selected for Intel, found out last month. Now I am just waiting to leave for Boot in December. It turns out that my grades, and OAR (listed on last page) were too low. I was bummed, but life goes on. I will have to wait until my first duty station to resubmit. I am thinking of retaking the ASTB in August to bring up my score, hopefully. That way I can do it without worry of other time constraints. Good luck to everyone else. We will all see each other in the fleet someday, in some form.

Integer

Banned
pnbandit -- I'll do my part to keep this forum going and reply since I gathered some "hearsay" from around this board and other resources. But remember, I am just a civilian. :)

The best thing to do is to direct your friend to read all of the posts in all of the sections here, even if the category doesn't apply, and post specific questions afterwards. Basically, you should have good grades and participate in activities promoting teamwork and leadership. But all you really need to apply to OCS is have is a bachelor's degree in anything to apply to OCS. If he's in college already, he should try to enter through the BDCP, where they might pay him while he finishes college. He would then go to a guaranteed spot in OCS after graduating. Finally, if you put down three designations and they accept you for one of them, you can still back out. I believe this is 100% correct.

dskeeters30

knn7, I'm in roughly the same boat that you are in. I'm going to Great Lakes 15 December 2003. My officer recruiter thinks I should use the time wisely and resubmit since I still have 5+ months before shipping. He's told me that the recruiting process is cyclical and that timing is everything so the worst they can say is no. In that case, I'll go through basic and reapply once I get to "A" school. Just curious, what rating did you sign up for?

knn7

I signed up for CTI. My OPO "told" me that the next fiscal year was already closed for Intel. They told me to go ahead with the enlistment, get my foot in the door, and resubmit my app later.

bigmikenjax

I just found out I was accepted to OCS!!! I am active duty, it takes a little longer to get into OCS, they said I will not go until Feb. I will be an AMDO (1520). That was my 1st choice and really the only thing I really wanted. Of course it is not official until you recieve the letter, however CNRC told me verbally. Everyone says that OCS is closed, well it's not, superior qualified people are getting in, improve your packages, make your chain of command call the important people!! Very political in the fleet, ask yourself, "How bad do you want it?" Then your actions will speak louder than words. Make it happen!!
I can tell you right now, my gpa was not the greatest(2.9) my ASTB was not high at all 4,5,4 OAR of 43, however making E6 in six years, warfare qualified, a deg from Embry-Riddle (6 more classes for my Masters from Riddle), nomination for a Outstanding Leadership Award from Association of Naval Aviation(ANA) and proven fleet performance, top 5% in every eval and number 1 in my first 1st class eval definitly put me over the top. Sustained superior performance is key to any type of promotion in the service, enlisted or officer.
If I could help anyone out who does not get in OCS and is enlisting, it would be hit the deck running when you get to your fleet command, always improve yourself WHILE helping others succceed as well.Be a leader, first and foremost.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to write me, I will be more than happy to give back to this website. I had alot of people help me along the way, not all senior personnel either, can't forget the people underneath me that made me look so good.

John(I think)lol, This web site has done an enormous job guiding/helping me to achieve this lifetime goal, I cannot thank you enough. I will most definitly pass this site along to my shipmates and friends... Mike

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Congratulations!!

Just wondering which campus you went to at ERAU? I am '93 Aerospace Engineer from Daytona. Trying to take about the same route you are except I am enlisting in the reserves. Any insight into my strategy? I would appreciate being able to speek with you more. Congratulations again and hope to see you in the fleet someday!

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
I was notified today by MSP CNRC that I'm selected.....OCS after July '04 sometime....NFO here i come.

bigmikenjax

Congrats!!! I know OCS runs their fiscal year from July to June, you must have been slotted for FY05. Congrats!!!!! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.