• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harriers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
No, that wasn't me but that's pretty damn funny. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Jafar

Hello, Everyone.

First post here, Jarhead turned me on to this place, and I can't believe I've missed it 'till now. A wealth of good information. I'm an Aviation Candidate in PLC and am also currently an NCO in the Marine Reserve.
Anyway I noticed this thread and had a few questions of my own. When I was out on Whidbey NAS the other day a few Prowler pilots from MATSG-53 mentioned something about the number of Harriers in the fleet being reduced recently? Not total squadrons but rather aircraft per squadron. Anyway, if this information is accurate, as well as my calculations that we have always had more Hornets than Harriers, isn't one's most likely airframe to get out of intermediate jets the Hornet? Obviously Prowler is the least likely, since we have all of 20 of them, then Harriers, then Hornets, right? So Jarhead said the NSS for Harriers is 45 but you can wash out at 40. So what is the NSS for Hornets or Prowlers? Someone also told me that high scores at the boat mean a higher likely hood of going Prowlers, due to the difficult nature of landing the EA-6B on the boat. Any validity to that one? And if that is the case is it true for other areas of the syllabus as well? In other words a guy is hell of a dogfighter so he's looked at closer for Hornets? Or a guy is a hell of a bomb dropper so maybe Harriers? Purely speculation on my part but I'm just curious. The bottom line that I've gathered is If you do well out of primary, top 25% or so, you will most likely get jets if you want them. But from there it's a bit of a crap shoot. True?
Thanks for the info. Great forum.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
This "herbivore" flies at 50' AGL within range of everything on the evolutionary scale of weaponry from large rocks to RPGs to Stinger RMP while the "meat eaters" stay above a 15000' hard deck, immune to everything but radar-guided missiles, which were destroyed by F-117s and Tomahawks the week before. That Harrier pilot better hope he doesn't talk that kind of trash within earshot of me.

All aviators have their challenges to face, and would be better off if they talked up their own communities rather than trash another. I'm not going to say that I can do a night trap, but I'm willing to say that landing in low-light level in brown-out next isn't any easier. Besides, if I d*** it up, I don't just waste myself, but also a copilot, two crew, and 15 pax.

C-130s, for example, take a lot of crap, but Camp Rhino wouldn't have survived, and Afghanistan might not have fallen without those planes. Being a fan of NVGs myself, landing unaided on a dirt strip in the middle of nowhere like those guys did is not my cup of tea.

All Marine aviators have wings of gold, and no, they don't have little etchings of props, or rotors, or jet engines on them.

Phrogs phorever

marti

This "herbivore" flies at 50' AGL within range of everything on the evolutionary scale of weaponry from large rocks to RPGs to Stinger RMP while the "meat eaters" stay above a 15000' hard deck, immune to everything but radar-guided missiles, which were destroyed by F-117s and Tomahawks the week before. That Harrier pilot better hope he doesn't talk that kind of trash within earshot of me.

Phrogdriver I have officially decided that being a 46 pilot would in no way be a let down. Especially if I get to fly with people that have your attitude.

Your perspective and knowlege has been extremely informative. Thanks, Marti

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sure is hard to "Reach out and touch the face of god" from 50 ft....Sorry Phroggy, I couldn't resist. Of course I'm not siding with a Scarrier guy because they really don't have to much to crow about either.
Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, it's even harder to touch the face of God when your airplane's in the hanger broken down in 3 pieces with 20 mechs working on it.

The helo version of "low flight" I read ends with, "reached out my hand...and touched a shrub."

Phrogs phorever

ProwlerPilot

pilot
As for the Prowlers, yes it is true that the better you do at the boat, the better chance you have for Prowlers. They don't really look too much into Air Combat grades or bomb grades to say that you will be a good fighter jock, but putting the T-45 on the boat seems to be high priority for selection.

And as for Phrog saying those missiles are taken out by tomahawks, some are but the rest are jammed! JAM JAM!! The mighty Prowler, protector of the night!! JAM.... JAM JAM!!!

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
From what I've seen, nowadays they're afraid to turn their radars on at all, for fear of being schwacked.

Phrogs phorever

Jack

Phrog, you would be suprised. There are still a lot of HARM being shot. Of course that is the most unfulfilling weapon in the history of warfare. You shoot it and time for how long it was supposed to fly. If they stopped radiating at he time you thought it should get there, well I guess we hit it .?. Very unsatisfying.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As long as you are out there running interference for me I will sleep all right in my rack until it is my turn to fly the plane. [:p]

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
maybe it's just the impression i get, but it seems that everything the p-3 guys brag about, like the cot in the back and the non-ship duty, seem to be contradictory to my ideals of naval aviation.

Status
Not open for further replies.