• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Harrier question

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I keep reading on the Navy.mil website that Harriers are attached to HMM (helo) squadrons. Is that the case, or is the photo caption jacked up.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
If I'm not mistaken, when other units det on a MEU, they are officially part of the -46 squadron, which is the only squadron that goes on the MEU as a whole unit, thus the HMM (reinforced) designation.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I keep reading on the Navy.mil website that Harriers are attached to HMM (helo) squadrons. Is that the case, or is the photo caption jacked up.

Sadly, it's true. We all (including 53s and U/A H-1's) integrate into HMMs when we deploy on the MEU. We paint their stuff on our aircraft and wear their patches. In other words, we are in their squadron for the entire deployment.

The senior guy from each community (det OIC) is usually a department head or even XO, but the skipper is always a phrog guy. Everybody else usually integrates into wherever they normally work.

It's not much fun, but at least it doesn't work very well.

Lawman

None
Sadly, it's true. We all (including 53s and U/A H-1's) integrate into HMMs when we deploy on the MEU. We paint their stuff on our aircraft and wear their patches. In other words, we are in their squadron for the entire deployment.

The senior guy from each community (det OIC) is usually a department head or even XO, but the skipper is always a phrog guy. Everybody else usually integrates into wherever they normally work.

So do they maintain autonomy within aircraft types for normal squadron shops or do you have guys from the more officer laden groups helping out and working shops for other aircraft?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Everyone gets asigned a shop/division, etc. Some COs keep their old Phrog department heads, other share the love or go by seniority. Det personnel are subject matter experts, but don't have a separate structure. There is some det-centrism in that the AV-8B captain in ops is propbably going to write the Harrier portion of the training schedule, but it's not as if there are 4 opsos.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
It's not much fun, but at least it doesn't work very well......

that kind of reminds me of the "Yeti"....this guy's zapper is all over the far east...
"I'm not pretty...but at least I smell bad."

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
[threadjack]

Yeti's a great dude... I get to brief him tomorrow evening... should be fun.

[/threadjack]

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot

:eek:
Whats the reasoning behind this?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
:eek:
Whats the reasoning behind this?

The reasoning is that a Marine battalion, a service support unit, and a squadron go on deployment as a Marine Expeditionary Unit with just about everything they need to fight within the scope of its mission.

That squadron combines medium and heavy lift, CAS, and strike capability in one package for the MEU CO. Since medium lift is the biggest part of the pie, it is a natural for the base element to which detatchments are added.

The battalion and the service support unit both have other assets and units attached to them for the deployment and preparation for the deployment as well.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
^ If what gtx said is the case, then it would seem to me that it would make admin/operations easier to manage. Its easier to manage cooperation between different platforms in a single squadron than cooperation between a bunch of different squadrons. At least thats how it seems to me.

If I'm not mistaken, when other units det on a MEU, they are officially part of the -46 squadron, which is the only squadron that goes on the MEU as a whole unit, thus the HMM (reinforced) designation.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
The reasoning is that a Marine battalion, a service support unit, and a squadron go on deployment as a Marine Expeditionary Unit with just about everything they need to fight within the scope of its mission.

That squadron combines medium and heavy lift, CAS, and strike capability in one package for the MEU CO. Since medium lift is the biggest part of the pie, it is a natural for the base element to which detatchments are added.

The battalion and the service support unit both have other assets and units attached to them for the deployment and preparation for the deployment as well.

Thanks!

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Since medium lift is the biggest part of the pie, it is a natural for the base element to which detatchments are added.

In other words, they're in charge because they have the most aircraft. They have the most aircraft because they're in charge.

Don't think. Just suffer through it.

Yes, the HMM CO writes our fitreps. Hence the term "phrog-burn".