• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hardest Post

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A good rule of thumb I learned long ago is this..."My least favorite "post" (station) is the one I'm leaving, my favorite is the one I am heading too."

I am equally blessed with being able to find both the silver lining and the dark cloud at the same time.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I always thought NOB sucked when I was in the Navy. But you haven't LIVED until being stationed at an Army post (Hunter in Savannah doesn't count). If you haven't been to Ft. Hood, especially North Ft. Hood, or spent a year at Buehring in Kuwait, you are really missing out. There are many options to choose from if you are Army, all setting you up to one-up any Navy or Air Force member for suckiest post.
What? No love for Gatesville?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
What? No love for Gatesville?
Gatesville? Whaaaat? We were never allowed to go into Gatesville. Sure, they can trust us to fly multi-million dollar choppers on dusted out tank trails under NVGs, but driving a GSA off post to Gatesville to put ice in your cooler was not something a pilot could be trusted to do. It is 20 miles from North Ft. Hood to Ft. Hood proper. It's only 3 miles from North Ft. Hood to Gatesville. Only 1-2 miles to the gas station outside the gate that sold ice.

Attachments

• NFtHood.jpg
    NFtHood.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 18

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
A good rule of thumb I learned long ago is this..."My least favorite "post" (station) is the one I'm leaving, my favorite is the one I am heading too."

I am equally blessed with being able to find both the silver lining and the dark cloud at the same time.

I remember speaking to a married Marine who was executing PCS orders to 29 Palms. He made a tactical decision to time the many mile desolate drive onto base after EENT, so as to limit an emotional response from his partner. Strategically, not sure how it worked out. ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I remember speaking to a married Marine who was executing PCS orders to 29 Palms. He made a tactical decision to time the many mile desolate drive onto base after EENT, so as to limit an emotional response from his partner. Strategically, not sure how it worked out. ?
Yep, back 10 or so years ago rumor control in the Army had it that Fort Irwin moved their main gate a few miles closer to Barstow to deny soldiers “hardship” pay. A wonderful rumor, but false. Still, you can listen to Hotel California three times during the long drive from gate to main side.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yep, back 10 or so years ago rumor control in the Army had it that Fort Irwin moved their main gate a few miles closer to Barstow to deny soldiers “hardship” pay. A wonderful rumor, but false. Still, you can listen to Hotel California three times during the long drive from gate to main side.
Edwards AFB is like that. You turn off the hwy at Rosamond and see the big sign but then it's 20min to the gate and then 20 min from the gate to anywhere you want to be on base.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I hear that if you drive just a few hundred yards past the Pax River gate you fall off the edge of the world.

Nah, the edge of the world is in the middle east, just off the coast of Duqm, Oman. Not sure where the other edge is, I didn't get to deploy anywhere but CENTCOM.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Are those white and brown lumps in the foreground bags of garbage or are they anthropomorphic Disney animals that talk about mundane things like life in the desert while making it sound humorous and fun? Please say the latter, please say the latter...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Are those white and brown lumps in the foreground bags of garbage or are they anthropomorphic Disney animals that talk about mundane things like life in the desert while making it sound humorous and fun? Please say the latter, please say the latter...
No, but that partially buried bottle of O’Doul’s “beer” in the immediate fore ground was probably tossed out full.