• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gwot Sm

VAmookie

Can someone explain the details of the Global War on Terrorism service medal. I was talking to a guy who's OSO told him he would be getting a GWOT since he had worked PTAD for over 30 days.

I know you cant qualify for it while in flight school, but is it true that he could get it while on PTAD? What about regular TAD? He also said that he could qualify for the recruiting ribbion because they made mission while he was there (90 days i think). Im really just wondering if there is any truth to the smoke he's blowin? I've seen a lot of guys come back from PTAD with no GWOT, but I dont know anyone on regular TAD.

snake020

Contributor
Can someone explain the details of the Global War on Terrorism service medal. I was talking to a guy who's OSO told him he would be getting a GWOT since he had worked PTAD for over 30 days.

I know you cant qualify for it while in flight school, but is it true that he could get it while on PTAD? What about regular TAD? He also said that he could qualify for the recruiting ribbion because they made mission while he was there (90 days i think). Im really just wondering if there is any truth to the smoke he's blowin? I've seen a lot of guys come back from PTAD with no GWOT, but I dont know anyone on regular TAD.

Dunno if the Navy has different rules, but for the AF, 30 days on active duty and you are "awarded" the GWOT service medal.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the Navy you are not awarded the medal if in "initial accession training" per the NAVADMIN. Which includes flight school. I believe this was hashed out about a year ago or so if one cares to search. However, when I was in the TRACOM, we did have an NPQ guy do a yearlong IA and come back with an Afghanistan Campaign medal which is techincally a replacement for the GWOTEM. Dunno if that has anything to do with the price of beer . . .

VAmookie

checked out the search. So has anyone heard of a person getting this thing whether TAD or PTAD or anything else? Or is this guy just a tool

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
checked out the search. So has anyone heard of a person getting this thing whether TAD or PTAD or anything else? Or is this guy just a tool

I got mine under what the I think is the Navy's equivalent of PTAD during my stash job... I know i have seen others out theasr wearing it, as well. If its a possibity for it to happen with us, it might be possible with this guy...

phrogpilot73

In the Navy you are not awarded the medal if in "initial accession training" per the NAVADMIN. Which includes flight school. I believe this was hashed out about a year ago or so if one cares to search. However, when I was in the TRACOM, we did have an NPQ guy do a yearlong IA and come back with an Afghanistan Campaign medal which is techincally a replacement for the GWOTEM. Dunno if that has anything to do with the price of beer . . .

The Afghanistan Campaign is not a replacement for the GWOTEM, you can still be awarded the GWOTEM if you don't go to Afghanistan or Iraq...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I meant a replacement if you DO go to Afghanistan, as the Iraq one replaces it if you DO go to Iraq. They were made when people got steamed about getting sent to one place or the other and getting just the "generic" GWOTEM.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I know a guy who go the GWOT by doing recruiter bs PTAD with his OSO in between OCS and TBS. And yes, he thought he was going to get the recruiting ribbon, or whatever it's called as well, it just all depended on whether or not his OSO turned in the paperwork.

Don't worry, you'll soon come to repect all the Academy...AF and USNA...who have it after their long hard battle against terror on the Severn River.

phrogpilot73

I know a guy who go the GWOT by doing recruiter bs PTAD with his OSO in between OCS and TBS. And yes, he thought he was going to get the recruiting ribbon, or whatever it's called as well, it just all depended on whether or not his OSO turned in the paperwork.

Don't worry, you'll soon come to repect all the Academy...AF and USNA...who have it after their long hard battle against terror on the Severn River.

I would call the service academies "initial accession" training, which would make them ineligible for the GWOT Service. I just checked with our brand new Lt (2006 USNA grad), and no - he does not have the GWOT Service.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor

Some have it from TAD'ing after graduation, but none have it from school alone. NDSM is the only award USNA guys have, excepting Navy pistol/rifle quals. Back to the Academy dirt mine, McButterpants.

riley

From NAVADMIN 273/04:

B. NAVY PERSONNEL IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING, TO INCLUDE FOLLOW-ON CAREERSPECIFIC
TRAINING, DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORIZATION.
ELIGIBILITY BEGINS ONCE ASSIGNED TO THE FIRST PERMANENT DUTY STATION AFTER
COMPLETION OF INITIAL AND FOLLOW-ON TRAINING.

From MARADMIN 499/04:

B. MARINES IN INITIAL ACCESSION TRAINING OR FOLLOW-ON MOS
TRAINING DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE GWOTSM UNDER THIS AUTHORITY (E.G.,
RECRUITS, OFFICER CANDIDATES, STUDENTS AT THE SCHOOL OF INFANTRY OR
THE BASIC SCHOOL, STUDENT NAVAL AVIATORS, ETC). ELIGIBILITY BEGINS
ONCE A MARINE IS ASSIGNED TO HIS/HER FIRST UNIT SUBSEQUENT TO ALL
INITIAL TRAINING.

Other criteria:
MARINES MUST BE ASSIGNED, ATTACHED, OR MOBILIZED, IN CONUS
OR OVERSEAS, TO A UNIT PARTICIPATING IN OR IN SUPPORT OF (INCLUDING
INDIRECT SUPPORT) APPROVED OPERATIONS FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE, OR 60
NONCONSECUTIVE DAYS,

In my opinion I'd be ashamed to wear the GWOT until I actually earned it. Doing a BS job for your OSO or a stash job while waiting API is crap. You haven't done anything yet in your career - why try to act salty? All of the tools that are actually wearing this in flight school need to realize a) they are not authorized and b) they are tools.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ Nice work. Looks like some folks need to be set straight.

Brett

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Rule of thumb ... just don't wear it until someone comes up to you and says "hey there killer, where is your GWOT medal? You know you rate it?"