• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GW CO & XO relieved

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
So when they say sacked, do they mean relieved from command of the ship or are they discharged from the Navy?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It appears to be a preventable accident due to negligence and gross safety violations, that cost the Navy $70 million. It is probably appropriate that the two guys in charge were relieved.

The Forrestal fire was due to a mechanical defect that caused a Zuni rocket firing, not due to negligence or safety violations. Big difference.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So when they say sacked, do they mean relieved from command of the ship or are they discharged from the Navy?

Relieved from their current job. They will probably go to staff jobs and retire shortly, their Navy careers are over unfortunately.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
It appears to be a preventable accident due to negligence and gross safety violations, that cost the Navy $70 million. It is probably appropriate that the two guys in charge were relieved.

The Forrestal fire was due to a mechanical defect that caused a Zuni rocket firing, not due to negligence or safety violations. Big difference.

Preventable? Maybe....where is the accountability for that...he'll probably get promoted even higher. The peter priniciple will be utilized, I'm sure.

Flugelman

Contributor

I'd like to know what happens to the CMC and DivO's responsible for those spaces.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I guess this just goes to show (among other things) that even a CO should be walking his/her spaces every now and then.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to know what happens to the CMC and DivO's responsible for those spaces.

Rear Admiral Wren, the CSG Commander in Japan has been directed to determine if any additional administrative or disciplinary measures are required against any other personnel.

So says the AP article...

Fred

Relieved from their current job. They will probably go to staff jobs and retire shortly, their Navy careers are over unfortunately.

I wonder if the XO will be able to retire? By accepting the nuke pipeline, they obligate themselves for several additional years after the completion of prototype.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious how hard the hammer fell within the ship's crew?

If the CO/XO are relieved who writes the FITREP for the CHENG (for example)...VADM Kilcline?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if the XO will be able to retire? By accepting the nuke pipeline, they obligate themselves for several additional years after the completion of prototype.

He might have to serve out some time in staff jobs, or they might waive the obligation just to let him leave. Who knows, I think that is between him and his COC.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

"Safety regulations should have prevented the Zuni rocket from firing. A triple ejector rack (TER) electrical safety pin prevented any electrical signal from reaching the rockets but it was known that high winds could sometimes catch the attached tags and blow them free. The backup was the “pigtail” connection of the electrical wiring to the rockets pod. Regulations required they be connected only when the aircraft was attached to the catapult ready to launch. The Navy investigation found that four weeks before the fire the Forrestal’s Weapons Coordination Board had a meeting to discuss the possible problem of a faulty pigtail delaying a mission while the aircraft was removed from the launcher. The board ruled that in the future the crew could ignore protocol and connect the pigtails while the aircraft were still queued. Though never made official, the crew immediately acted on the ruling. The inquiry found that the TER pin was likely blown free while the pigtail was connected and that the missile fired due to a power surge when the pilot transferred his systems from external to internal power. "

as per the almighty wikipedia...

To return from my threadjack,

I wonder what the SN/AN/JO who lit said fire is doing right now. He/she is personally responsible for $70 million of Navy equipment, the careers of 2 fine Americans, injuries to 37 of their shipmates, and the loss of security to our country caused by the incapacitation of one of our carriers. Hope that was one hell of a Lucky, douchebag!

Bevo16

pilot

That's a good question. I would guess that they would get the hammer as well, it's just not going to hit the press. Crap like that does roll down hill.

While on workups, I was walking aft down the 0-3 level passageway and I get hit with a STRONG smell of JP-5. I look down, and the deck is wet with the stuff, then I look up and the yellowshirt in front of me is carrying a plastic trash bag full of rags that were soaked in jet fuel. They are so soaked, that a solid stream of fuel is flowing out of a hole in the bag like a garden hoze.

"YOU!!!! STOP!!!! Put the bag down NOW!!"

I had him set it in a corner next to a knee knocker to limit the flow to only 2 directions and I quickly got a metal trash can from the officer head to put in in. By this time, the yelling and fact that there was about 5 gallons of jet fuel on the deck had gotten the attention of some chiefs that were walking by, and the COPS watch team, and Strike, and every other space that he had walked past. About 3 minutes later, there were about 30 guys with swabs cleaning up the mess, and the yellow shirt, his cheif, his div-o, department head, and squadron XO had an audience with CAG and the Boat Skipper.

I don't know if there was any paper filed on officers from the incident, but some serious ass was chewed and his chief lost one of his deck safety quals.