• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GW CO & XO relieved

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The guy replacing the CO is good to go. Experienced at being a CVN skipper. IMO the right guy for the job.

GroundPounder

In an incident such as this, did the CO and XO know right after the event was over that they were toast? Would the outcome for them been likely different had the fire caused $70,000 worth of damage?

In my time in the Army, and since I've been a supervisor in law enforcement, I've found that it is often hard to get the guy who may or may not care about his future t understand that he's betting my 20 years as well as his 2 years when he decides to do something stupid.

phrogpilot73

In an incident such as this, did the CO and XO know right after the event was over that they were toast? Would the outcome for them been likely different had the fire caused $70,000 worth of damage?
I doubt that the CO and XO knew they were going to be toast. Fires at sea happen, but a PREVENTABLE fire at sea is what got them. The preventable portion of it is what got them relieved - so I think if there had been $70K in damage, and there was still smoking in unauthorized spaces, and improper storage of HAZMAT - then they probably still would have been relieved.

Bevo16

pilot
phrog,

I think that it was also that the PREVENTABLE fire was caused by an unsafe condition that had existed for a while, and the CO/XO should have seen the unsafe condition with their own eyes if they were walking through spaces or had their subordinates looking for obvious safety hazards.

phrogpilot73

I think that it was also that the PREVENTABLE fire was caused by an unsafe condition that had existed for a while, and the CO/XO should have seen the unsafe condition with their own eyes if they were walking through spaces or had their subordinates looking for obvious safety hazards.
That was what I meant. If it was a preventable fire that happened because of one moment of stupidity by a sailor, than I doubt they would have been relieved.

Zissou

Banned
"smoking in unauthorized areas" was quoted in two articles I read.

Are there uniformed standards for smoking policy on a carrier?
Were they not enforcing that policy?

Or can the CO make smoking policy?
And did they found the policy poor judgment in the review?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I was just curious.

Flugelman

Contributor
Same thing as with the skipper of the USS Greenville. His subordinates let him down but the responsibility still rested with him.

phrogpilot73

Are there uniformed standards for smoking policy on a carrier?
I don't know that there are. On the Iwo, the only authorized smoking area was RAS station #5 and the fantail. On the Keersarge, RAS station #5 and the catwalks were authorized.

Were they not enforcing that policy?
Probably not. Command climate may lead to lack of enforcement.

Or can the CO make smoking policy?
If there is a standard throughout the fleet - I'd suspect that the CO could make it more stringent, not less.

Bevo16

pilot
Zissou,

Every carrier that I have been on had authorized smoking areas, but they were often different and some had limited hours depending on flight operations, refueling, etc.

I have never seen a smoking area that was authorized inside the skin of the ship. That is where these guys were smoking.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
why the XO got shitcanned too? Just because of the beds and heads issue with the flammable liquids all over?

I'm not sure about carriers or surface ships in general, but on subs the XO is the man in charge durring all casualities at the scene. The nature of this fire (preventable or not) and the legth of time that it lasted could be enough to warrant firing the XO.

Now I know carriers have DC's for combatting fires, etc, but is the DCA the #1 guy in the casualty; where is the XO in the chain during casualties?

edited-----darn spell check-------

navy09

None
I'm not sure about carriers or surface ships in general, but on subs the XO is the man in charge durring all casualities at the scene. The nature of this fire (preventable or not) and the legth of time that it lasted could be enough to warrant firing the XO.

Now I know carriers have DC's for combatting fires, etc, but is the DCA the #1 guy in the casualty; where is the XO in the chain during casualties?

edited-----darn spell check-------

I'm pretty sure the DCA usually runs the show from Central. Never seen DC drills on a carrier though. I assume that in a situation like this- they were at GQ for 12 hours :eek: - the CO and XO were probably keeping a very very very close eye on everything.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, they used to smoke inside the skin of the ship....long ago. When I was on the Kitty Hawk, circa 1991, they allowed smoking in the berthing areas...and all my clothing smelled like smoke. :yuck_125:

I can't tell you when they changed the rules, but it has been a while. On my 2000 Lincoln cruise, you had to use the designated smoking areas which were sponsons only. I'm guessing the rules changed in the mid to late 90's. I'm sure A-4's or Spike can speak to smoking in the Ready rooms long ago.....

-ea6bflyr ;)

Zissou,

Every carrier that I have been on had authorized smoking areas, but they were often different and some had limited hours depending on flight operations, refueling, etc.

I have never seen a smoking area that was authorized inside the skin of the ship. That is where these guys were smoking.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Safety regulations should have prevented the Zuni rocket from firing........"

Hmmm, hadn't heard that before. Still, quite a bit different though. More a change in procedure on a particular weapon system, wrong though it may be, and not a gross violation of a common sense Navy-wide safety standard.