• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GW CO & XO relieved

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw at navy.mil, CNN.com & navytimes.com that Capt Dykoff & Capt Dober (CO & XO) of the USS GW were relieved today as a result of the fire onboard on 22May. i'll post links when I get to a computer vice iPhone.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
whenever you want to hammer home how far the buck goes in the navy to a JO or a mid, just look for the most recently relieved from command list.

Sucks, but nothing says bring your a-game when you're in charge like seeing a public hanging.

My question for the wiser (read older) guys is any idea why the XO got shitcanned too? Just because of the beds and heads issue with the flammable liquids all over?

Fred

Wow, that stinks. I was afraid they would be hung out to dry. With the GW being the first nuclear powered carrier to be homeported in Japan, I’m sure politics played a huge role in the decision to fire both of them.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So I have a dumb question, did the skipper of the Forrrestal get shitcanned after the fire during VietNam?

edit: I am not saying he should have, I just can't find any reference to that end of it...sorry about the threadjack.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yah, personal accountability is key. And when you're wearing the sheriff's badge, you better have all your shit in its appropriate sock.

But, really, all the sackings lately?? Seems a little overkill, what with the Nav not actually being a zero defect organization.

You know. . .Nimitz grounded his first command. More than a few COs have been relieved for the same in the last 6 months.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You know. . .Nimitz grounded his first command. More than a few COs have been relieved for the same in the last 6 months.

But nimitz didn't have to deal with the media shoving a microscope up his butt and looking for Sh!t, then being pissed when they find it, when he was the guy in charge.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Can'd

You know. . .Nimitz grounded his first command. .

I would imagine that he'd be cleared eventually, unless he managed something like this:

honda03.jpg

After all, these cans don't add up to a single Arleigh Burke.

As far as the GW being a nuke homeported in Japan, do the firings boil down to the host's touchiness on all things nuclear, especially safety?