• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[Gun] Want to read something scary? UN and China on gun control

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
What about the Glock 18? Full auto. Pump 12 round into someone in about a second.

Sure, if that person were 12 feet tall and 5 feet wide.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
reminds me of the Desert Eagle..you dont need it for what you're doing but it looks nice and is a "movie" gun.
I shot one of the Desert Eagle .50 mags at a range I used to go to. My puny arms could barely hold the thing upright - that thing is totally ungainly.

Brett

Lawman

None
wtf... the 93R is the sh-ttier (goes w/o saying), Beretta-equivalent of the Glock 18.

The Model 92 is the 'common' Beretta.
My Bad, I thought he was refering to the Full Auto pistol of the early 90's. We can all thank Jon Woo for the fan service that Beretta has gotten. He loves the things and always duel wield as well.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
The Deagle is completely for show and is pointless. Yes, the .50 AE round is huge and can take anything doun or out in one hit, but it is big, bulky, and heavy. The only people that seem to use it well in movies are the big Russian mob guys. Has anyone here had experience with a suppressed/silenced pistol? I understand that they are supposedly like a spit, but doesn't the motion of the action make a considersble amount of noise?

What about a hit from a .50AE in the arm? Are you down and out?

I've shot an integrally (sp?) suppressed MP5, which will be a little different from say, a can screwed onto the end of a pistol. With that, the sound of the action was louder than the shot. But that's the nice thing about integral suppressors.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Probably not, but there is a good chance your arm is gone.

The .50AE carries energy, yes, but it's still a handgun load. You're not gonna lose your arm unless MAYBE it smashes through a joint.

In movies and such, all you here is the spit, but you would really here the action moving more, expecially with those Barreta M9's. Those have a quite noisy action. They do look really cool though.

Movies don't have it right. They don't have anything right, usually. See guys shoot in a bathroom and they can still talk normal and hear normal? yeah right, you'd be deaf as a post. Firearms are loud. I've had an AR-15 go off next to me and my hearing protection wasn't quite in right. OUCH.

Let's not even talk about recoil, or the effects of bullets hitting bodies. They couldn't get that right if they hoped. Watch a real shooting sometime. While I've never seen on in person, thank god, I've seen it on video plenty of times. It's not pleasant. It's also not what you'd expect.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not even talk about recoil, or the effects of bullets hitting bodies. They couldn't get that right if they hoped. Watch a real shooting sometime. While I've never seen on in person, thank god, I've seen it on video plenty of times. It's not pleasant. It's also not what you'd expect.

Shameless plug . . . the MythBusters have looked into several of these ideas on multiple episodes. Specifically diving underwater to escape gunfire and the idea that getting shot will blow you back 10 feet or so. They couldn't even replicate the latter with a Barrett .50cal. Very interesting TV.

(Feel free to give me multiple geek points for mentioning that show . . . :D)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shameless plug . . . the MythBusters have looked into several of these ideas on multiple episodes. Specifically diving underwater to escape gunfire and the idea that getting shot will blow you back 10 feet or so. They couldn't even replicate the latter with a Barrett .50cal. Very interesting TV.

(Feel free to give me multiple geek points for mentioning that show . . . :D)

I didn't see the episode, but I heard it described many times. If I recall, they really fvcked up the way they did it. They shot the water from point blank ranges. With many rifle bullets, this will completely fragment the bullet on impact. For example, the 7.62x51mm bullet does not reach optimum penetration until about 200-300m downrange. Why? Think of it this way... take a stick and jam it into soft sand. It breaks. Now, put the stick on the sand and push on it... it goes in. Same concept. Myth Busters is cool... sometimes. But they don't always either understand the concepts they're trying to prove/disprove, or they get it horribly wrong.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see the episode, but I heard it described many times. If I recall, they really fvcked up the way they did it. They shot the water from point blank ranges. With many rifle bullets, this will completely fragment the bullet on impact. For example, the 7.62x51mm bullet does not reach optimum penetration until about 200-300m downrange. Why? Think of it this way... take a stick and jam it into soft sand. It breaks. Now, put the stick on the sand and push on it... it goes in. Same concept. Myth Busters is cool... sometimes. But they don't always either understand the concepts they're trying to prove/disprove, or they get it horribly wrong.

Hmm. Didn't know that point about ballistics . . . and that's EXACTLY what happened. The bullets fragmented. But hey, it makes good TV and it's not as mindless as some stuff out there. I brought up the subject more specifically to speak to the idea of getting "blown away" as a typical Hollywood misconception. Think the execution was better there. Will you get dropped? You bet. Flung 10 feet back? Heck no.

Lawman

None
Hmm. Didn't know that point about ballistics . . . and that's EXACTLY what happened. The bullets fragmented. But hey, it makes good TV and it's not as mindless as some stuff out there. I brought up the subject more specifically to speak to the idea of getting "blown away" as a typical Hollywood misconception. Think the execution was better there. Will you get dropped? You bet. Flung 10 feet back? Heck no.

That fragmentation is actually one of the big reasons for what have been called "Patrol Rifles." In the last decade 5.56mm has made a big impact in Law Enforcement in both standard patrol and SWAT because they have demonstrated a much higher effectiveness in those shooting situations with a Patrol Rifle then either a Shotgun or a Sub like the MP5. One of the first things people immediately bring up is overpenetration of a target, but at close range (Less then 25 yards) that most police shootouts take place at the 5.56 actually splinters in the target and has a less likely chance of overpenetration then some handgun calibers.

Id have to say though my favorite MythBusters skits were the plate glass window myth (You'd bleed out before the EMT's arrived) and the shooting at the gas tank/using a car as cover scene. Both were in the proving movies wrong episode.

And Fly, yeah your right about talking during a shootout, I had my ears off at the range when it was just me and a buddy shooting with nobody else, and he without warning lit off his AR 15 feet from me. Deaf as a post for a good minute.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That fragmentation is actually one of the big reasons for what have been called "Patrol Rifles." In the last decade 5.56mm has made a big impact in Law Enforcement in both standard patrol and SWAT because they have demonstrated a much higher effectiveness in those shooting situations with a Patrol Rifle then either a Shotgun or a Sub like the MP5. One of the first things people immediately bring up is overpenetration of a target, but at close range (Less then 25 yards) that most police shootouts take place at the 5.56 actually splinters in the target and has a less likely chance of overpenetration then some handgun calibers.

Different kind of fragmentation there. That has to do with the bullet design for the 5.56mm and not the effects of a bullet hitting a hard target (which water is at close range).

And Fly, yeah your right about talking during a shootout, I had my ears off at the range when it was just me and a buddy shooting with nobody else, and he without warning lit off his AR 15 feet from me. Deaf as a post for a good minute.

And I assume that was an outdoor range. Imagine that indoors.... OUCH.

oztin79

Two of my favorite anti-gun control t-shirts (not that I'd ever wear anything with a message on it, but still entertaining):

1) "Hitler & Stalin: Leaders for Gun Control"

2) "Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works"

The invention of the gun and all other lethal weapons were a Pandoras Box...their presence is irreversible and to try to do so will only inhibit citizens willing to obey the laws. Besides all that, the second amendment exist for one primary reason and one primary reason only: That the American government should never be more powerful than its subjects. It's a simple principle but one that proves very hard for non-Americans to relate to. Guns guarantee our liberty on a most basic level and its infused into our national character (ever seen a French-Western cowboy?)

On a side note: I'm a member of the NRA, and while it gets a little carried away sometimes, I think it's a damn good thing someone's watching all these people who legislatively fantasize about a one-world government under sunshine and lollipops.

Happy to rant every once in a while...