• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

[GUN] - Springfield 1911 Range Report

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally got to shoot my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911. What a beauty this thing is. It's a BRICK, so it handles the .45ACP ammo very nicely. It is easier to shoot than my Glock 23 .40S&W. It is very accurate, and when shooting steel, the sound of 230gr of lead slapping the steel plate is SO satisfying. I would highly recommend this pistol as a purchase item for someone looking for something new. It handled my ball ammo just fine, and it handled Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP just fine too. Good stuff all around.

1911.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So what exactly makes this "Mil-Spec?" I ask because other than the chromed barrel and bushing, it looks just like my Colt M1991 (which is a 1911). Or is the "Mil Spec" a bit of marketing from Springfield?

By the way, I put a Hogue rubber grip on mine, and it's so much nicer to handle w/ my big hands (albeit heavier).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what exactly makes this "Mil-Spec?" I ask because other than the chromed barrel and bushing, it looks just like my Colt M1991 (which is a 1911). Or is the "Mil Spec" a bit of marketing from Springfield?

By the way, I put a Hogue rubber grip on mine, and it's so much nicer to handle w/ my big hands (albeit heavier).

I think they're using it as a descriptor comparing it to all the tweeked 1911s around. Look around at 1911s today... it's hard to find one that isn't Gucci. It just has a bare-bones setup, nothing too fancy. Fairly standard sights, no beavertailing or extended safeties or this and that. It's not as bare-bones as the GI WWII model they have, but it's more true to the original than any Kimber is.

That and it costs $500 as opposed to $800.

I'll take note of the grips, thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not really a "gun guy," so I'm not hip to the lingo, but I understand what you're saying. I just thought that when manufacturers say it's a "1911-type model of a .45" then it was what you're calling Mil Speced anyway. Regardless, my Colt is the same way, and I like it simple (although some chrome would be nice to stop corrosion). My only complaint is how "complicated" the parts are, compared to the simplicity of say, a P226. But what are you going to do, it was designed in 1911.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not really a "gun guy," so I'm not hip to the lingo, but I understand what you're saying. I just thought that when manufacturers say it's a "1911-type model of a .45" then it was what you're calling Mil Speced anyway. Regardless, my Colt is the same way, and I like it simple (although some chrome would be nice to stop corrosion). My only complaint is how "complicated" the parts are, compared to the simplicity of say, a P226. But what are you going to do, it was designed in 1911.

Yeah, it's an extremely archaic design compared to more modern pistols, however, it was built nearly 100 years ago and it does work and continues to work. I too hate the breakdown, but hey, it's fun to shoot.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Hey Fly, I've been thinking about a 1911 myself. I know you said it handles the ball ammo okay, but how does it handle hollowpoint ammo? Many jams at all? Thanks

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Fly, I've been thinking about a 1911 myself. I know you said it handles the ball ammo okay, but how does it handle hollowpoint ammo? Many jams at all? Thanks

I shot 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP through it. I had one jam with that ammo. Looking at the jam, I do not think it was the ammo, I think it was the ball ammo I used before, which was very dirty. I did not have a repeat hiccup after I cleared it. I'm going to put 50 more rounds of Ranger-T through it and see if it repeats. Other than that, totally reliable so far.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
my Springfield does well wiht JHPs but it does jam every once in a while enough that it is not my bedside table weapon.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
my Springfield does well wiht JHPs but it does jam every once in a while enough that it is not my bedside table weapon.

I'm going to shoot more Ranger in it (at least 100 rounds). If I don't get another hiccup, it may take place of my SIG. The only jam my SIG ever had was due to my friend limp wristing it.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Second the Hogue grips for that, Fly. Have them on my Springfield Loaded, and I have Pachmayr wraparound/checkered grips on my Kimber. Either are great, I love the Pachmayr's though...I hate the feel of metal/filed checkering on the frontstrap, but love the extra grip and control it gives...so I tried the Pachmayrs, and with the rubber checkering, they do the same job that metal checkering does but about a thousand times more comfortable. YMMV.

theduke

i shoot a Stainless Loaded model, myself. I love a 1911.

had a SIG P226 one time, too. AWESOME, AWESOME, piece as well. prob get a compact SIG sometime.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
i shoot a Stainless Loaded model, myself. I love a 1911.

had a SIG P226 one time, too. AWESOME, AWESOME, piece as well. prob get a compact SIG sometime.

My next 1911 will be the Operator model. That thing is sexual chocolate.

I have a P226 9mm. My first pistol. Love it. I will NEVER get rid of it.

theduke

i only sold mine because it was a cosmetic nightmare (still shot great), and i got offered $50 more than i paid for it after putting some unholy number of rounds through it.

i'll get another SIG, but the next one will be brand new and pretty now than i can afford it.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I had a P226 as well, loved it, traded it for my Springfield Loaded...I want another SIG, though...probably get a 220, because I'm addicted to .45 ACP since I got my 1911s. :D

holloway

I've had the same pistol for about 6 years now. I bought it when I was a sophomore in college. It's a great no-nonsense pistol, but it's got some problems. Mine had some extracting problems with virtually all ball ammo I fed it, using both factory and 3rd party mags. I ended up having to pull the extractor out and tweak it a bit. Also, the slide-to-frame fit is super loose (I think this is one of S/A's "Mil-Spec" features), so the accuracy will suffer a little.

-JW