• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I have only ever seen the Sig M11 in the TACAIR and helo squadrons that I have been in since around 96 or so. I`m gonna go out on a limb and say that they`re pretty much fleet standard. That`s all I ever saw when I was an Ordie too.

Brett

We carried the Sig in my squadron for OIF, seemed to be the standard for Prowlers.

As for if it is actually any use, we used to joke about that a bit. One of our pilots never loaded his and said he would use it for barter instead of shooting, argued it was more effective. He was probably right. When you got 100 screaming villagers after you or a platoon of bad guys pointing AK-47's at you, most guys don't feel like John Wayne anymore. What the hell is a handgun going to do then? The only two anecedotes I have heard where they were actually used effectively was from the great book On Yankee Station, the author described two times it worked.

dustydog

pilot
Our squadron, an HS one, had a box full of SIG 226's in 9mm. We also had M-4's in the back of the helo. I don't think that we owned any Berettas. That being said, your side arm is not yours, they are tightly controled and only issued when you went overland. Most of the time I threw the mags in my helmet bag and hoped that I would never need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.