• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kip26

FRS Slave
Alright,

Can somebody please resolve what sidearm we are carrying these days in the fleet. I obviously have no clue because I don’t even get my own SV-2 at this point. I am told SIG SAUER which is great but nobody seems to know the model number (full size vs compact). I am only asking because I keep getting asked by friends and family and I am tired of talking out my ass. I told my sister we get a crossbow just to piss her off and my grandmother still thinks we carry swords so….anyway.

Do not write back how you gonna carry your granddaddy’s 1911 .45 because your wrong.

Don’t write back about the sweet new AK-47 you picked up at the pawn shop.

If you have deployed I’m looking for your input and I am sure the other students would appreciate knowing what they will carry.

-Thanks

ps. Funny sea storied about crew putting rounds through the floor of jets will be accepted… Jesus we can hardly keep our flashlights together.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SIG Sauer that the military has for issue is the P228. It's a 9mm pistol, slightly smaller than the P226 and Beretta M9, carrying 13 rounds in a magazine as opposed to 15. Its Army designation is M11. The Navy does have P226 for Navy SEALs....who knows, maybe they issue them to pilots too. That said, I'd much rather carry a SIG than a Beretta.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some squadrons have acquired and are issuing Sigs...very few...

90% of the Fleet guys I've seen carrying had the standard Beretta. I'd count on being issued that.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Government bought Sigs? That is great I hadnt even heard that. We are flying in theater with Barettas oh yeah AND M-4s to convey to the peace loving people of whatever sh!thole we are currently shooting up that even though I may have landed/crashed in your yard that does not give you the right to drag me naked through the streets

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
If I'm not mistaken, the "standard issue" is a Beretta 92 model, 9MM, designated M9. That said, I own a SIG P226 9MM, and would much prefer to carry that over a Beretta any day, in agreement with Fly Navy.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I qualed with the M-11 (the sig) and despite being a glock guy, i found it quite nice. Much better weapon that the M-9. I really wish we carried it - if we're to be required to carry a pistol to beigin with. Honestly, I'd really just rather have sword ('cause chicks dig 'em).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
PropStop said:
..... Honestly, I'd really just rather have sword ('cause chicks dig 'em).

If that's the criteria, then I'd rather have a tennis racquet --- plus, you can drain pasta with it. :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Some squadrons have acquired and are issuing Sigs...very few...

90% of the Fleet guys I've seen carrying had the standard Beretta. I'd count on being issued that.
I have only ever seen the Sig M11 in the TACAIR and helo squadrons that I have been in since around 96 or so. I`m gonna go out on a limb and say that they`re pretty much fleet standard. That`s all I ever saw when I was an Ordie too.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really "your gun"..shows up in the R/R in a lock box, gets kept in the safe, checked out to fly over bad guy land and checked in on return. We had Beretta 92FS most recenlt. Gets to be a another PITA after a while. We used to bring our own back when .38 and .45 were standard carry. That is until the armorers (read squadron ordies) found out we all had hollow point black talon ammo in our weapons. Suddenly they were all locked up in the armory on us...damn Geneva Convention.

Course still good to have if you need it to keep your stick monkey in line from the back seat..."Dammit Maverick, one more freakin unannounced aileron roll outta you at night and you're gonna get it..." Course I can also do that by judicious use of the front cockpit night lighting CBs.

Cheers,
G

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I have only ever seen the Sig M11 in the TACAIR and helo squadrons that I have been in since around 96 or so. I`m gonna go out on a limb and say that they`re pretty much fleet standard. That`s all I ever saw when I was an Ordie too.

Brett

Yeah, who knows, the guys I knew with the Berettas were VP, HSL, and a random VF I knew.

A better question is, "who gives a sh1t?". Whatever you end up carrying, you'll learn how to use it and stow it safely.

As far as the original question from Kip, your family is asking what sidearm the Fleet uses? That's awesome, my family thinks I'm in the Army or something.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur, learn how to use it is sage advice. I used to joke the perfect aviator marksman could fire over his shoulder with accuracy as he evaded as fast he could from bad guys with bigger rifles...

...just never chamber a round at the duty desk while it's pointed at the XO. Had a squadronmate RIO do that who, with the exception of our one weapons firing qual, had never held a gun before. XO went pale as a ghost. Funny now...scary then...

Nimitz on cruise prior to ours had a gun discharged in a ready room accidentaly. Woops. No one hurt...Scrapein the R/R tile. He ended up with the duty for a couple of days.

Cheers,
G

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's criminal that there are sailors and officers who have never even touched a real firearm, let alone shoot one? Is this the Air Force or what?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's criminal that there are sailors and officers who have never even touched a real firearm, let alone shoot one? Is this the Air Force or what?

Actually the Air Force does an amazing job in this respect as har as small arms training is concerned - even finance people and wrench turners receive a fair amount.

The Navy I thought could always do better in reminding sailors that this is th e Military - and not just a job. Think about it - if you are a sailor and your first fleet duty is working in the laundry of a CV - think how much more motivating if the Navy put a premium on military/warrior skills - and trusted this sailor to handle and use a weapon on top of their laundry duties...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Actually the Air Force does an amazing job in this respect as har as small arms training is concerned - even finance people and wrench turners receive a fair amount.

Is this a new thing or just something I've never seen? My step-bro was Air Force (now Hawaii Air Guard) and he never saw a firearm in his military career, except when he was in Saudi. I think then he actually had to carry a sidearm. Anyway, glad to know that the AF is doing something good there.

The Navy I thought could always do better in reminding sailors that this is th e Military - and not just a job. Think about it - if you are a sailor and your first fleet duty is working in the laundry of a CV - think how much more motivating if the Navy put a premium on military/warrior skills - and trusted this sailor to handle and use a weapon on top of their laundry duties...

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.