• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gun Laws in your state

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and I mentioned just that. You originally asked if a list existed, I provided you proof that the list the OP referred to did in fact exist.

HR1022 has been dropped in several forms several times since the '94 ban sunset. HR1022 itself has no major cosponsors, aside from maybe Abercrombie (who I wouldn't even consider a major player)

Again, sounds like fear-mongering:

The Democrats current gun-ban-list proposal (final list will be worse)

Take a few facts, twist a few words and presto.......RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!! Ironic that some of the same guys love to lecture about sheep and sheepdogs. Baa....baa......

Herd_of_Sheep_311px.gif

If fear-mongering ever turns into law you can always buy one of my nasty black rifles at what ever the going rate happens to be at the time. ;-)

Why would I need one? My current arsenal would do the job just fine. ;)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I guess I'm still a little confused as to how this is 'fear mongering' and how words are being twisted.

The author cited in the OP might be a little over concerned about the possibility of a ban but it doesn't change the fact that HR 1022 was dropped in the last congress and is likely to be dropped again.

Maybe the author of the OP should have used 'gun grabbers' in lieu of Democrats but gun control is by and large a Democrat initiative, with some Republican assistance. Additionally in the House the majority party makes runs the show, so with a Democratic majority any initiative would have to be a Democratic initiative or at least have Democratic leadership support.

After looking at the history of HR 1022 I'm certainly less worried about a gun ban passing in the 111th but that doesn't negate it from existing. If it makes it out of sub-committee and committee and makes it to the Floor it very well could pass. Can't say for sure that it would, but stranger things have happened. I doubt it would pass through the Senate and if it were to die it could come to a filibuster. Some bills you don't have to worry about the filibuster because they dont have a chance at passing, but this MIGHT. If the Republicans are good at anything its organizing and working towards the 'good of the party'. Even Republicans that have a bad wrap from the NRA might oppose the bill out of concern for an upcoming re-election or party unity.

As I said earlier I think the Heller verdict is acting as a bit of a deterrent for a Democratic Congress that has a dismal approval rating, but with enough energy coming out of the Obama administration its conceivable that big names would support this bill or one similar. If it got to the Oval Office I would expect it to be signed. I don't expect it to make it to the White House however.

MIDN09 is right, gun manufacturers I'm sure are certainly enjoying the recent spike in sales but soon enough if nothing happens the anxiety of the consumer will likely subside.

Lost my way somewhere back there...while unlikely a bill similar to HR 1022 could pass under the right conditions... still confused as to how it's fear mongering.

RyanF

unimportant
You can count on an anti-2nd amendment cabinet that is for certain. You can probably count on some serious rhetoric from Feinstein, Pelosi, Kerry, and company. I have no doubt HR 1022 will be dropped again, under a different number, but language nearly identical or even more restricting.

That said Heller, while not going as far as some would have liked, was in no way a victory for anti-2nd amendmenters. The NRA and gun lobby gained a lot of political capitol with the Heller decision and they are starting the process of taking on other cities, Chicago being one. Additional decisions in favor of 2nd Amendment rights which cite Heller as precedent will only strengthen the constitutional grounds for personal gun ownership. That said, should something like HR 1022 pass you could sue the government over each gun, but you could also sue over the entire act, take it the SCOTUS and potentially win. If done before Obama has an opportunity to nominate a justice the case would likely fall in favor or the 2nd.

Current political theory suggests that because SCOTUS historically has the highest approval rating (well above 50% with 48% being a 'historic low') the public usually trusts the court to make the right decision and supports that decision once its made. Essentially that the SCOTUS influences public opinion and in turn public opinion influences the court. I personally dont think that public opinion supports an over arching gun ban as described by HR 1022. Remember that gun control was not a huge part of the debate during the election, likely because of the Heller verdict and because people want 'change' in areas other than gun control.

Additionally a lot of House Democrats and Senate Democrats won by slim margins in battle ground areas. Especially in the House freshman Democrats coming from moderate constituencies might not have the political capitol to vote for such an extensive ban. That could work in favor of 2nd amendment rights.

I agree, but I bought my first gun(chinese sks) on tuesday anyways. Figured the .22 my dad is letting me borrow might need some company. :D

busdriver

None
I've seen this list (basically a repeat of what was in the 94 ban) before. As far as I can tell, some anti gun representative re-writes the old ban and floats it around to see if it'll get support. So far, no dice. I don't think Obama is a stupid man, and a smart man interested in gun control isn't going to put together a cosmetic ban. Unless of course he just wants to placate the other anti gun types.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why people continue to try to ban weapons.

I am of the opinion - which others will surely disagree - that if someone does own a weapon, that it should be registered and that the person should be licensed to carry said weapon.

I understand the Constitution with respect to "bearing arms," however, when it was written, people could not go out and purchase the type of weaponry that is available in today's market; people tend to look past this nuance when interpreting the meaning of "bearing arms" and do not place it in the proper context, or the context with which it was written.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why people continue to try to ban weapons.

I think a lot of it comes from the fact that there is little personal responsibility these days.

Oh, he killed someone? That gun must have made him do it. Get rid of guns, and nobody will ever kill anyone else.:eek:

I understand the Constitution with respect to "bearing arms," however, when it was written, people could not go out and purchase the type of weaponry that is available in today's market; people tend to look past this nuance when interpreting the meaning of "bearing arms" and do not place it in the proper context, or the context with which it was written.

No, I'd say you're nuancing it. If the Redcoats had used AK's in 1776, the Americans would have used AR's and still written the 2nd Amendment as is. The thrust of it is to keep citizens from becoming subjects, which (the framers believed) required a level of weapons parity between the populace and the gov't.

If the gov't./military can have automatic rifles (which might be used to oppress the citizenry), it's foolish to think the founding fathers would have wanted common citizens to have only muskets.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
No, I'd say you're nuancing it. If the Redcoats had used AK's in 1776, the Americans would have used AR's and still written the 2nd Amendment as is. The thrust of it is to keep citizens from becoming subjects, which (the framers believed) required a level of weapons parity between the populace and the gov't.

If the gov't./military can have automatic rifles (which might be used to oppress the citizenry), it's foolish to think the founding fathers would have wanted common citizens to have only muskets.

good points...

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I am of the opinion - which others will surely disagree - that if someone does own a weapon, that it should be registered and that the person should be licensed to carry said weapon.

Registration is the first step in confiscation. Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I own several really sharp knives. Big fuck off shiny ones. Where can i get my knife handling license?
I've also got some pretty heavy hammers and axes laying around. Does the sharpshooter in Corpus do a concealed hammer and axe course?

No. Of course they don't. A gun is a tool. Licensing is one more barrier to owning what boils down to a piece of property. My property, with the exception of the car that I drive on public roads, is none of the governments business.

RyanF

unimportant
nittany03 said it best:
Guns are herd animals; if you only have one, it gets lonely.

haha, I've certainly noticed this! Seems like after I get the SKS, I will then need a shotgun, a long range bolt action rifle, a few C&Rs, etc...........and then there are still handguns!!!! And I thought racing karts and flying gliders were expensive hobbies! :icon_tong

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Chief Law Enforcement officer

I own several really sharp knives. Big fuck off shiny ones. Where can i get my knife handling license?
I've also got some pretty heavy hammers and axes laying around. Does the sharpshooter in Corpus do a concealed hammer and axe course?

No. Of course they don't. A gun is a tool. Licensing is one more barrier to owning what boils down to a piece of property. My property, with the exception of the car that I drive on public roads, is none of the governments business.

I'm not disputing your opinion that "licensing is one more barrier to owning what boils down to a piece of property."

All I am saying is that I would prefer that the government require licensing rather than them trying to ban weapons altogether.

There will never be a "truce," per se, so the two sides have to try to find some type of common ground.

In my state, if I want to carry a concealed weapon, I must obtain a license. Some would disagree that this is not "right," but I will take getting the license versus an all out ban on carrying a concealed weapon, as is the case in other states.

The same holds true for Class 3 weapons (a/k/a/ NFA weapons): you can own them, but must fill out a Form 4 and pay $200.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Any real proof of the existence of such a list? Sounds like nothing but fear-mongering to me......

It's not fear mongering if it has actually happened!

Is it all puppies and rainbows over there on the Left?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Nor did the writers of our Constitution envision electronic communication in any form.