• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grunt to Pilot

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Being aeronautically adaptable (or not) is partly about not getting airsick but it's also about your ability to do everything you're supposed to do in the cockpit.

For a small number of otherwise seemingly qualified folks, there's something about that environment that brings out something strange in them and they make too many mistakes. It's hard to put your finger on why it happens but it's a lot like an athlete choking during the game, a scholar who gets test anxiety, or a musician or actor getting stage fright.

If you've made it through other military training programs then you're unlikely to have these kinds of issues in flight school, but nobody knows until they get there. Sometimes the people who attrite have a different vibe about them, high quality individuals but something different about them compared to the students who pass. Other times the flight school attrites' personalities really surprise you (surprise the instructor cadre, who have worked with plenty of flight students of all shapes and sizes).

Don't think too much into it, just focus on doing your best. Ask for help when you need it and offer help when someone else needs it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

Just a bit more clarification, the flight surgeon will declare you "aeronautically adaptable" if you meet NAMI's criteria of a list things like not having certain, specific mental health issues in your past, certain medications, things like that. The flight doc isn't a head shrink and there isn't some thorough screening where everybody gets quizzed on mommy/daddy issues or what you dream about.

Further to the choking in sports/stage fright analogy, it's also a bit like a book smart person who is simply terrible at sports or a jock who can barely learn how to play a scale on a piano. It takes all kinds and it's a pretty neat blend of skills that goes into making a great aviator. Maybe the selection process is onto something with the "whole person concept."

Highlander51

I'll fly away O glory
^^^

Just a bit more clarification, the flight surgeon will declare you "aeronautically adaptable" if you meet NAMI's criteria of a list things like not having certain, specific mental health issues in your past, certain medications, things like that. The flight doc isn't a head shrink and there isn't some thorough screening where everybody gets quizzed on mommy/daddy issues or what you dream about.

Further to the choking in sports/stage fright analogy, it's also a bit like a book smart person who is simply terrible at sports or a jock who can barely learn how to play a scale on a piano. It takes all kinds and it's a pretty neat blend of skills that goes into making a great aviator. Maybe the selection process is onto something with the "whole person concept."
Yeah I get what you’re saying, you basically need to be a well-rounded individual, mentally and physically. That’s some awesome info, thank you!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Being aeronautically adaptable (or not) is partly about not getting airsick but it's also about your ability to do everything you're supposed to do in the cockpit.

For a small number of otherwise seemingly qualified folks, there's something about that environment that brings out something strange in them and they make too many mistakes. It's hard to put your finger on why it happens but it's a lot like an athlete choking during the game, a scholar who gets test anxiety, or a musician or actor getting stage fright.

If you've made it through other military training programs then you're unlikely to have these kinds of issues in flight school, but nobody knows until they get there. Sometimes the people who attrite have a different vibe about them, high quality individuals but something different about them compared to the students who pass. Other times the flight school attrites' personalities really surprise you (surprise the instructor cadre, who have worked with plenty of flight students of all shapes and sizes).

Don't think too much into it, just focus on doing your best. Ask for help when you need it and offer help when someone else needs it.
"Yips"

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah I get what you’re saying, you basically need to be a well-rounded individual, mentally and physically. That’s some awesome info, thank you!
My ancient observations from my flight school peers:
-jocks could nail the monkey skills but struggle with academics
-nerds could nail the academics but struggle with the monkey skills
-a good friends of mine was an MIT engineer+varsity athlete+talented musician. He struggled with airsickness in VTs but got through it. The rest (academics and monkey skills) came easily.
-if you've made it through college, TBS, and the Fleet you can handle the academics. Since you're an infantry Marine I'm going to hazard a guess that you're somewhat athletic. Hence, you'll likely be fine.