• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Growler "Golden Path"

skybert

Skybert
Now that the Marines haven't had prowlers for some time, and there are Air Force growler crews, do Marines crew them as well?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, there are no Marine Growler crews. There is one Marine officer who instructs at VAQ-129, but he’s an outlier, as the Marines have transitioned all of their former VMAQ NFOs to other career specialities or platforms.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, there are no Marine Growler crews. There is one Marine officer who instructs at VAQ-129, but he’s an outlier, as the Marines have transitioned all of their former VMAQ NFOs to other career specialities or platforms.
I met one of my former VT-86 Marine NFO Students in San Diego, and he was on loan to the the Air Force augmenting the EC-130 in Tucson post VMAQ shutdown. So Marine EA-6B EMCOs are doing all sorts of interesting things including cross service support and flying UAS platforms. But like CFAM said, not flying Growlers.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I should probably know the answer to this question due to knowing said (newly former) person, but what is the long term USMC plan for EW/VQ? I presume it gets wrapped up in the F-35, so does that leave this billet open still? I've never heard a mention of them buying G's, but is that a thought?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should probably know the answer to this question due to knowing said (newly former) person, but what is the long term USMC plan for EW/VQ? I presume it gets wrapped up in the F-35, so does that leave this billet open still? I've never heard a mention of them buying G's, but is that a thought?
It's been 5 years since my last staff EWO gig. But even then, my impression of the Marine Corps' post-VMAQ EW plan was basically "look at these great PPTs we have on MAGTF EW! They're the best PPTs anyone has ever made! Look at the quality of these slides!"

Gs? Yeah, right. They already dissolved the community.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been 5 years since my last staff EWO gig. But even then, my impression of the Marine Corps' post-VMAQ EW plan was basically "look at these great PPTs we have on MAGTF EW! They're the best PPTs anyone has ever made! Look at the quality of these slides!"

Gs? Yeah, right. They already dissolved the community.
Yeah, that’s essentially my understanding. Their solution was supposedly a combination of F-35 effects and EW pods strapped to other Marine air platforms along with ground based EW effects and cyber. I’m struggling to find anything more recent than 2016 open source on MAGTF EW though.

As far as I’m aware, there was never a serious conversation about Marines buying the G. I do know a bunch of former Prowler pilots that got picked up for the F-35 transition, so I got the sense they were trying to keep a chunk of their VMAQ pilot cadre around.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long term Marine EW plan? There isn’t one…???… no on F-35 and no on Gs.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Zombie E/V-8 Harriers?
10386864_5.jpg

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Not to mention that the 35B doesn’t have the on-station legs required to fill the EW requirement for more than a small time slice of a mission.