• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Great Bars, Happy Hours, and Free Food Around the World

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love the artistry of smoking the old fashioned way. I use my Weber kettle with a slow n'sear for smoking. Have had very good results with pork and turkey and I love that it's a forcing function to make me sit on the deck and drink beer all day. Sometimes I do like to cheat and crutch in the oven to make dinner time* and avoid mutinies from the little people.

But that said I do occasionally ogle pellet grills for the ease of use. If I win the lottery I'd treat myself to a Memphis or a Mak pellet grill. Or maybe I'll just break down and get one one of these days.

*I did see a recipe for pulled pork that's started with a sous vide and you get it to food safe temp early and then you can keep it in the fridge for a a few days and then on the day of your event you smoke it on the grill. Helps you stick to schedule if you've got folks who expect to be fed at a certain time.
I was a 25 year old school BBQ guy. Not even chips. Whole hardwood chunks I used in a couple types of smokers. Yeah, it was cool enough. Loved selecting the wood and physically throwing on the chunks of real wood. It was like the satisfaction you once got out of shooting a raw data ILS to mins. But who among us really wants to work that hard once you have a flight director, auto pilot or FMS and RNAV approach? When you break out at mims the sight picture is the same.

Traeger was recommend by my niece's husband. He said "It will change your life." I scoffed. Mrs Wink having heard the convo insisted we get one. I made her happy and it changed my life (yes, double meaning). I eat more BBQ, tend it hardly at all and like the view out the windscreen after a coupled RNAV to mins, results are satisfying. I sometimes covet an old school top shelf side rig, then I remember the goal IS the Q. Not the rig.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was a 25 year old school BBQ guy. Not even chips. Whole hardwood chunks I used in a couple types of smokers. Yeah, it was cool enough. Loved selecting the wood and physically throwing on the chunks of real wood. It was like the satisfaction you once got out of shooting a raw data ILS to mins. But who among us really wants to work that hard once you have a flight director, auto pilot or FMS and RNAV approach? When you break out at mims the sight picture is the same.

Traeger was recommend by my niece's husband. He said "It will change your life." I scoffed. Mrs Wink having heard the convo insisted we get one. I made her happy and it changed my life (yes, double meaning). I eat more BBQ, tend it hardly at all and like the view out the windscreen after a couple RNAV mins, results are satisfying. I sometimes covet an old school top shelf side rig, then I remember the goal IS the Q. Not the rig.
Yeah, I've never met anyone with a pellet grill who's been unhappy with it and I get the ease of use. So I'm sure I'll get one one of these days because like you said, the goal is the Q. If it's repeatable, easy, and good...who cares how it was cooked?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It was like the satisfaction you once got out of shooting a raw data ILS to mins. But who among us really wants to work that hard once you have a flight director, auto pilot or FMS and RNAV approach?
But... but... :D what about when it's a wonky ILS?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But who among us really wants to work that hard once you have a flight director, auto pilot or FMS and RNAV approach? When you break out at mins the sight picture is the same.

. . . I eat more BBQ, tend it hardly at all and like the view out the windscreen after a couple RNAV mins, results are satisfying. I sometimes covet an old school top shelf side rig, then I remember the goal IS the Q. Not the rig.
? ? This right here.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, back to the outdoor kitchen. The grill I inherited when we bought this house 7 years ago is marginal. My biggest beef is the rotisserie is inop and I love a pork roast on a spit. I also have a burner in the island, which I have never used. Always afraid I will slop something on the flagstone surface and it will stain. I don't see the benefit in using it when whatever is on it can be cooked just as well on the range. The plan is to replace the grill and remove the burner. I might then have room for a flat top griddle. Anyone have any experience with the Blackstone type griddles for outdoor cooking? Few months ago I was at a cook out and a guy used one. Said he loved it, but the food left a lot to be desired. I was watching in the classic pose, beer in hand standing next to the cook watching meat sizzle. Frankly, I don't think he knew what he was doing. I can see times when I might prefer a flat top over a grill. But I am still a little put off by my only experience with the results.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So, back to the outdoor kitchen. The grill I inherited when we bought this house 7 years ago is marginal. My biggest beef is the rotisserie is inop and I love a pork roast on a spit. I also have a burner in the island, which I have never used. Always afraid I will slop something on the flagstone surface and it will stain. I don't see the benefit in using it when whatever is on it can be cooked just as well on the range. The plan is to replace the grill and remove the burner. I might then have room for a flat top griddle. Anyone have any experience with the Blackstone type griddles for outdoor cooking? Few months ago I was at a cook out and a guy used one. Said he loved it, but the food left a lot to be desired. I was watching in the classic pose, beer in hand standing next to the cook watching meat sizzle. Frankly, I don't think he knew what he was doing. I can see times when I might prefer a flat top over a grill. But I am still a little put off by my only experience with the results.
Flattop is great....if you're running a diner. I get the attraction but it just seems like you've transitioned from cooking over a fire to a stove that happens to be outside.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flattop is great....if you're running a diner. I get the attraction but it just seems like you've transitioned from cooking over a fire to a stove that happens to be outside.
Well yeah. I am not giving up my Traeger or grill. Just looking for a complimentary appliance. I like cooking outdoors and where I live I can do it often. I am thinking that besides a different take on meats I might otherwise grill, I can put pots and pans on it, I can do eggs, hashbrowns and bacon (LOVE an outdoor breakfast), onions and other veggies fall through a grill grate. Sautéed onions and peppers for that brat on the grill, yum. Mushrooms and onions for the rib eye. Toast up a bun for the pulled pork sandwich off the Traeger. I can see that value. But do they really perform?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well yeah. I am not giving up my Traeger or grill. Just looking for a complimentary appliance. I like cooking outdoors and where I live I can do it often. I am thinking that besides a different take on meats I might otherwise grill, I can put pots and pans on it, I can do eggs, hashbrowns and bacon (LOVE an outdoor breakfast), onions and other veggies fall through a grill grate. Sautéed onions and peppers for that brat on the grill, yum. Mushrooms and onions for the rib eye. Toast up a bun for the pulled pork sandwich off the Traeger. I can see that value. But do they really perform?
Yeah, where you are an outdoor kitchen makes sense. And if you want to make eggs and bacon outside then would be useful.

Meathead and his crew seem to like them and I trust what they have to say:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, where you are an outdoor kitchen makes sense. And if you want to make eggs and bacon outside then would be useful.

Meathead and his crew seem to like them and I trust what they have to say:
Thanks for the vector

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flattops are great for some stuff. Burgers especially are superior on a flat top instead of a grill.
If he’s got a pellet grill, the answer is smoke that bad boy until 10 degrees from done, then reverse sear the crap out of it on a flattop or cast iron skillet for about a minute a side, scorching hot.

Notanaviator

Contributor

concur with @Treetop Flyer etc, all of the things you cite are perfect for flat top, but I have lately started to exclusively cook burgers in the thin patty/supreme crust manner on cast iron, same with steaks. Uniform delicious crust is unparalleled. Cast iron/carbon steel (which is what I think black stone is) is pretty underrated if it can get hot enough.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah, I like my steaks medium rare. Burgers are best with thin patties with a great seared crust in my opinion.
Best part about the reverse sear - start it at any internal temperature you want and it’ll still give you that nice crust without greying out the middle.
Cast iron/carbon steel (which is what I think black stone is) is pretty underrated if it can get hot enough.
I will say the one thing you have to watch for with cast iron is using a high smoke point oil and watching the pan like a hawk. Otherwise you’ll torch the seasoning right off . . .