• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Great Bars, Happy Hours, and Free Food Around the World

brownshoe

Contributor
If you are on I-95, say between Norfolk and Jax, and looking for something that is quick but not fast food, definitely recommend D&H BBQ in Manning, SC (near exit 119 on I-95). Food ranges from borderline unhealthy to aren’t you glad the hospital is next door. Pulled pork BBQ is slow, Slow, SLOW cooked with vinegar / black pepper sauce on the tables, rice, hash (if you don’t know what hash is, don’t ask…), sweet potatoes, spot-on fried chicken, hush puppies, mac & cheese for the little ones. Lima beans and/or collard greens. Pecan pie for dessert.

View attachment 31582

And for an example of how the BBQ is cooked, Rodney Scott’s restaurant down the road in Hemingway is the same and representative of the style and taste.

Also:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I would say east. West of I-95 is mustard (terrible), East is black pepper & vinegar.

Your taste buds must be broken. Low country mustard sauce is superior to the black pepper & vinegar.

I'm a vinegar and slaw man myself when it comes to pulled pork. Now youre making me wish I had bought that butt at BJs the other day.

North Carolinian? That's how I was raised eating pulled pork. The family BBQ joint has a vinegar based slaw that is phenomenal with pulled pork. You don't even need to vinegar sauce unless you want it a little extra picante.

Also:

That reminds me, I need to stop here on my next drive up to Norfolk.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It’s all in the “Not Texas, wrong animal” zone so it’s inferior

I’ve had brisket as a nice change of pace, in particular at Hard-8 BBQ in Dallas - anyplace in particular you recommend?

Your taste buds must be broken. Low country mustard sauce is superior to the black pepper & vinegar.

I remember the first time I had mustard BBQ, a place called Maurices in Columbia. My first response was WTF is this? This is terrible… I do have the D&H vinegar & black pepper sauce Fedex’d to me by the gallon every several months.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I’ve had brisket as a nice change of pace, in particular at Hard-8 BBQ in Dallas - anyplace in particular you recommend?

I remember the first time I had mustard BBQ, a place called Maurices in Columbia. My first response was WTF is this? This is terrible… I do have the D&H vinegar & black pepper sauce Fedex’d to me by the gallon every several months.
In Dallas I’d go with Pecan Lodge although hard eight is good.

Pags

N/A
pilot

North Carolinian? That's how I was raised eating pulled pork. The family BBQ joint has a vinegar based slaw that is phenomenal with pulled pork. You don't even need to vinegar sauce unless you want it a little extra picante.

That reminds me, I need to stop here on my next drive up to Norfolk.
Not an NC native and I'm not exactly sure how vinegar ended up as my favorite. Might have been reinforced by time spent in the tidewater/mid Atlantic region as it tends to predominate both here in SoMD and Norfolk.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
As a Northern boy who's been all over the South, all the gatekeeping and purity tests around BBQ just amuse me. I'm BBQ-agnostic. Or is it being pan-BBQ? Its all gloriously good smoked meat; I'll fire up the Traeger and make any style that I want.
Lots of good BBQ but brisket is best. Purists would shit on you for the traeger as well. It makes a fine smoked meat though. Just as long as someone isn’t claiming to BBQ when they mean grilling hot dogs and burgers.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of good BBQ but brisket is best. Purists would shit on you for the traeger as well. It makes a fine smoked meat though. Just as long as someone isn’t claiming to BBQ when they mean grilling hot dogs and burgers.
Anyone who would scoff at my Traeger would be met with a hearty DILLIGAF and asked to reconsider their opinion after sampling the brisket that came off it. Oh wait, I just finished eating it all, because it was that damn good. Smoked at 225 overnight, wrapped in butcher paper at the stall, took it up to 203, rested for like 2-3 hours in towels and a cooler, and it was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth.

Best part of having a vacuum sealer, a freezer, and an Instant Pot. Smoke up a USDA Prime full packer brisket from Costco. Slice that bad boy up. Seal up a bunch of meal-sized portions one by one, and have brisket on demand for months, where all you have to do is sous vide it back to life.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone who would scoff at my Traeger would be met with a hearty DILLIGAF and asked to reconsider their opinion after sampling the brisket that came off it. Oh wait, I just finished eating it all, because it was that damn good. Smoked at 225 overnight, wrapped in butcher paper at the stall, took it up to 203, rested for like 2-3 hours in towels and a cooler, and it was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth.

Best part of having a vacuum sealer, a freezer, and an Instant Pot. Smoke up a USDA Prime full packer brisket from Costco. Slice that bad boy up. Seal up a bunch of meal-sized portions one by one, and have brisket on demand for months, where all you have to do is sous vide it back to life.

Do you sample your wood pellets too? (Not gonna lie, I'm jealous. I'm still on my first ever smoker, which is an electric one. It's not too shabby, but I definitely want an offset or something n the future now that I have a much better understanding of how to BBQ. I do like how I can place it away from the house on a cement walkway and basically treat it like a slow cooker and walk away all day without worrying much about any fire hazard.)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
NC native here. I grew up straddling the dark meat with brown sugar and ketchup and the whole hog with apple cider vinegar line so it's "Lexington Style" for me. In NC if you have to say "pulled pork" you are doing it wrong.........oh and

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guess I am a bi-Traeger guy. For several preparations I also us a smoke tube or chip tray to augment the Traeger smoke at the start. Once it burns out I let the Traeger carry on. For some animals I go full Traeger.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Actually I ran across that Meme while researching pellet smokers. I think I'm about to bi a Traeger too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I love the artistry of smoking the old fashioned way. I use my Weber kettle with a slow n'sear for smoking. Have had very good results with pork and turkey and I love that it's a forcing function to make me sit on the deck and drink beer all day. Sometimes I do like to cheat and crutch in the oven to make dinner time* and avoid mutinies from the little people.

But that said I do occasionally ogle pellet grills for the ease of use. If I win the lottery I'd treat myself to a Memphis or a Mak pellet grill. Or maybe I'll just break down and get one one of these days.

*I did see a recipe for pulled pork that's started with a sous vide and you get it to food safe temp early and then you can keep it in the fridge for a a few days and then on the day of your event you smoke it on the grill. Helps you stick to schedule if you've got folks who expect to be fed at a certain time.