• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
All,
Anyone know how difficult it is to get a C-12 or C-26 position? and normally when do such positions become available, after one sea tour??? On top of this, who goes to such assignments? Maritime/E2-C2 and Helos? Thanks

Yes, after your first sea tour. It's hard to get though. There's a guy in our squadron who is going to do that when he gets back from deployment.

JeffQ

Grades are about half the issue. Timing is the other half. I selected jets out of primary when it was easy to do so. Four of us out of Corpus selected jets that week. We sort of caught it near the end of the jet push.

When is the timing for the jet push? I heard that if you select towards the end of the fiscal year you tend to get the billets that were not selected or had a high demand. Is this true???

ghost_ttu

Gator, I know you said it is difficult to do, but if you pulled jet grades, or prop grades in primary and there just weren't slots and you get helo, is there a good chance of being able to move to props or jets? or being able to move to t34 IP? and if you are an IP for a term what are the odds of moving to jet, or prop pipeline from there? I know ALL of this is hypothetical and ANYTHING could happen, but if you were to give me your best guess?

quote:

Yes, after your first sea tour. It's hard to get though. There's a guy in our squadron who is going to do that when he gets back from deployment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
Gator, I know you said it is difficult to do, but if you pulled jet grades, or prop grades in primary and there just weren't slots and you get helo, is there a good chance of being able to move to props or jets? or being able to move to t34 IP? and if you are an IP for a term what are the odds of moving to jet, or prop pipeline from there? I know ALL of this is hypothetical and ANYTHING could happen, but if you were to give me your best guess?

Well, what I meant to say was that it's hard to get something like C-26's. They're a bit rarer than say, a tour at the RAG or back at flight school. That said, let's hope all that other stuff isn't TOO difficult! That's the beauty of being a helo pilot...you have some many options (in theory anyway), since you are an "unrestricted" naval aviator. There's a guy here who wants to go jets after his first tour. I heard him say that you only needed something like a 45 NSS to get it out of the fleet. I know Jack had something about how there was a helo pilot flying jets as an IP in advanced (which would be pretty cool), and I've heard stories (John W. would know better than I) that there are helo guys as IP's in the Prop advanced dealy. Again, as Jack had mentioned in another thread, there's a big drought of jet slots because everyone stayed in, which doesn't really screw up the numbers of current pilots, but screws w/ the forcasted numbers (if that makes sense).

Disclaimer: I'm still another 2 + years from having to worry about this, so my research is limited to gouge and heresay. I know guys who have checked the staynavy.com website, and found slots, only to be told by the detailer that they don't exist (can you say politiking), but I haven't fully looked at what's really out there this minute.

I sure hope there's plenty of T-34 slots down the road. I'd love to go do that. Time will tell.

ghost_ttu

thanks gator, so basically you are saying if you have a strong NSS, that if the "needs" screw you, that in time you can come back and kick it in the butt with time served?

ProwlerPilot

pilot
I know this isn't what everyone wants to hear, but from my experience EVERYTHING is right place right time. Grades will only put you in a good spot to be eligible, but from there nothing is a garuntee. I had good grades out of primary and was lucky enough to get jets, but the three selections before me there were no jet slots. Even for guys with higher NSS's. In advnaced F-18 is the top choice of course, but if you do well at the carrier, no matter what you standing is, you are in a prime spot to go fly prowlers, regardless of what you really wanted. (they are harder to land on the carrier than the hornet). So, do your best, graduate as high as you can in your class, kick ass, and then ask for what you want. You cannot game the game. Put what you want, roll the dice and hopefully you will get what you want. If you don't have the minimum cutoff though for the community you want, then the decision for the board is easy of course.

ghost_ttu

I think that being too tall for anything is not going to be an issue for me!!!! I measured in at a resounding 5'7" Wahoooo!!!!

JTP

The worst thing about being short is the damn tall women. I was at the bar last night throwing all the game I had at this beautiful brunnette w/ bright blue eyes. I was getting ready to close the deal, then she stood up. She must have been a giant! No, actually she was probably only 5'9, but with me standing tall at 5'6/135 she looked like a mammoth. Damn.....if only I could somehow figure out a way to stretch myself out to 5'11 on weekends.

GO DAWGS!!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave or Frumby,

What is the seating NPQ height for the Prowler?

Dave

Dave Shutter

quote:Damn.....if only I could somehow figure out a way to stretch myself out to 5'11 on weekends.

Hang by your feet...a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.