• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I am just wondering what the possible range of scores are in Primary. I know how your NSS is comprised, and that you need a min. of 50 to qualify for jets and a a 49 for maritime. But what are the possible scores you can graduate with.

vicki

Hey Jeff,

This is what I have heard (somebody who has been there jump on in if this sounds wrong). NSS is out of a possible 80 (never been acheived, but some Marine once got a 79.8). You have to have a minimum of 55 to be considered for jets. If you have a 67 you are guaranteed jets if you want it. This is how it was explaned to me by someone in primary at Whiting. Hope this helps.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Jeff: Hmmm, didn't know that there was a cut off of 49 for Maritime (Props), since I know a number of people that have lower scores than that who got into Props.

Vicki: It seems like the numbers keep sliding around a little bit, don't necessarily know if that is accurate information or not. But basically the scores to keep in mind are the 35 needed to complete Primary, 50 for the median average score to be elegible for jets (though there are people with lower scores than that that go to the jet pipeline), and of course the 80 as the max score possible.

Granted, it has almost been 9 months since I selected, and the Navy has been revamping the pipeline. A friend of mine just selected Helos (he smoked the program and finished with "jet grades") and he told me that after he selected he was asked if he wanted jets instead. Heck, even when I selected I was looked at funny when I put Props down as my number one choice, and was asked why I didn't want jets. As always, the best thing is to talk to the people immediately ahead of you in the pipeline, and of course the Squadron itself when it comes time for your selection, so you can have the best view and understanding of how the selection will go. Oh well, hope that info helps out a little.

Dave Shutter

John...

I can understand why so many people think that way, that everyone wants jets, but the truth as I have discovered is that a lot of times people don't. With Helo's you can "cash out" after two tours, a meager six years, and fly civilian. Everyone thinks airlines, but the commercial helicopter field is huge and they don't pay minimum wage either. I've met a lot of prop and helo pilots at airshows recently and whenever I asked: "Why not jets?" I expected to hear some sob story but often got a funny look instead: "Jets! Are you nuts? People get killed flying those things!"

I can't recall wether it was you or Dave Werner who said that a lot of stud's get to Primary thinking jets, TOPGUN etc...but after they actually fly the T-34, feel G's, and see the ground coming at them from their point of view in a spin, the last thing they want to do is fly any faster or have anything to do with explosive's under their wings!

I've always, and still, want to fly Jets, but if I got helo's or props I don't think I would be upset or disapointed. All you other aspiring Jet stud's might consider this blasphemy but trust me, your whole perspective changes after you've actually seen a Tomcat fly into the ground.

Good luck at the P-3 RAG John...you can update any day now

Fly Navy!

D

Jeff

I am finally coming around to the realization that not everyone wants to be Maverick. As you were saying Dave, I too have met a lot of prop and helo pilots and not one of them has admitted to actually putting jets down as their first choice. Most say they didn't even put jets on their dream sheet. As a matter of fact I don't believe I have met a pilot yet that did not get what they said their first choice was, aside from one helo pilot that wanted jets and had the grades for any but his arms' anthros were to short.

I personally could not imagine passing up the chance to fly jets but I sure have met quite a few pilots that have. Living in Virginia Beach with NOB and OCEANA right here I have met more than my share of pilots.

Dave Shutter

I was just down there for the Oceana air show in Sept! I thought the air base was really small, but it was a nice little town with a real nice beach. I could definately do a tour or two there!

D

choops

Hello everyone.Here is the gouge on the selection grades as they are being done here at Corpus Christi. Since there are "inconsistencies" in the grading between the Corpus and Whiting primary squadrons...the Navy is using a bell curve to determine your final NSS. Apparently Whiting's grades are usually much lower than Corpus' grades. I'm in VT-27 and for the past month...the guys that select have been taking a 6 to 8 point hit on their NSS. Therefore a lot of people that had that 50 NSS or higher could no longer even put down jets in their selection. Whiting people get points ADDED to their final NSS.
This has been the trend for as long as anyone here can remember. So if you come down to Corpus...for jets you want to finish with an NSS in the HIGH 50's as a minimum. Anything in the lower 50's will pretty much eliminate your chances.

kahuna

All,
Anyone know how Vance is figured into things? Adding points, subtracting points??? Thanks

Hartman

quote:
the commercial helicopter field is huge

Anyone else have thoughts on this? My biggest worry about getting helos is that I'll have trouble finding a job if I get out after six years. I mean, isn't the Army pumping out helo pilots? And can there really be that many offshore oil rigs and news stations???

...Thanks

ghost_ttu

Hospitals, and my favorite dream job if I end up with Helo's that I've heard is almost impossible to get "Mountain Rescue", then there is DEA and other law enforcement, and you will have your certifications, from what I understand getting fixed wing isn't too much past all that. No, you aren't going to the majors anytime soon, but you might be able to get into the corporate. Someone fill in here that has better knowledge please.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Here's a website that might help: http://www.aptap.org/main.html

It's geared towards helping Army pilots transition over to fixed-wing and then getting jobs with an airline. Click on the FORMER ARMY link and there are some good stories about how the pilots made the career transition.

-Greg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a couple of issues. One, as mentioned, is that there are a lot of Army pilots out there. Since a lot of those pilots are Warrants, their base pay is lower than say an O-3 w/ 8 years. That drives the salaries down a bit. That may not be a big deal, or even an issue, but it does happen. Also there are many other options than hospital and oil rig jobs, as mentioned. Personally, I think doing medevac would be challenging and pretty rewarding.

Also, one other thing...it's my understanding that Army helo pilots only fly helos, whereas Naval Aviators (and air force) are truly unrestricted aviators, and have both fixed wing and helo ratings. If a Navy helo pilot loggs some fixed wing time (either on their own, or threw the Navy), they can go over to the airlines no problem...well, provided they're hiring.

kahuna

All,
Anyone know how difficult it is to get a C-12 or C-26 position? and normally when do such positions become available, after one sea tour??? On top of this, who goes to such assignments? Maritime/E2-C2 and Helos? Thanks

Ray

Grades are about half the issue. Timing is the other half. I selected jets out of primary when it was easy to do so. Four of us out of Corpus selected jets that week. We sort of caught it near the end of the jet push. A friend of mine with a 57 got E2/C2. The month before me you could have a 51 and still get jets. Now things are different. The J2 pipeline is backed up for a while. I selected May 2nd and I won't start until January 6th. CNATRA himself said that only the TOP navy student selecting jets that week would get it. And that was out of all the squadrons. There are two reasons its so backed up now. First, all the aviators planning to get out around a year ago stayed in because of Sept 11. Second, they cut the number of wingings in 2003 in K-rock by 20. So those of us slated to finish late 2003 got shoved back to finish early 2004. It might start to get better around march, but only time will tell. It changes all the time too. If you are a marine and want to fly jets, now is a good time. But its frustrating for us navy folk.

BTW, I think the cutoff for props is 45.

Honk if you demand satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.