• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grad 1v1

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I succeeded in doing a career in the Navy, never left the cockpit, and spent my last 10 years as a TAR A-4 driver in the adversary business. It wasn't a career-enhancing path to follow and I was passed over for CDR several times because of it, retiring as an O-4, but I did what I wanted to do, which was fly. I went through the TG Adversary Course in '85, and had the opportunity to go up against the Fishbed while there. We had a face-to-face brief at Nellis with the Red Eagle guys the day before the engagement and were instructed to be over a certain landmark in the Tonapah Range at a specific time the next day. At that time the following day, while orbiting over the landmark and monitoring the radio, I heard "Joining on your right side." There was the MIG 21. We flew side by side while he rolled up on one side, then the other, to show what the a/c looked like to get perspective. We did some side-by-side performance comparisons regarding acceleration in basic engine and then him using A/B. Then we took separation and the fight was on. We had three engagements IIRC and then he was bingo. The time spent was invaluable in really learning how to accurately simulate a MIG 21 in a knife fight, which is what the adversary business was all about.

johnboyA6E

None
not a fighter guy, and definitely not a topgun guy, but this is my 'best day in the navy story'

we took 4 A'6s from the boat in the Adriatic to Ramstein AFB, to do CAS training with NATO forward air controllers in prep for Bosnia (mostly French, and some others)

on one of the days, we led a section to the operating area (about 60-80 miles from Ramstein) and along the way, we got bogey calls from the ground controllers "Navy 505, you have a German F-4 at your 2 oclock, 50 miles" etc, etc.

we split out to combat spread, and he continued to give us vectors until we got visual. i was the B/N in the lead plane, and we merged head to head with the F4 both of us rolled about 90 degrees left (i could see his eyes, he didn't have his visor down), as fast as an A6 could go, completely unbriefed, and made a few turns, very defensive flat scissors, very rapidly losing all our energy.

just as the F4 was about to go to guns on us, our Dash 2 rolled in right behind the F4 for the kill. just like that, we broke off and went about our days, no comms at all. greatest day ever!1

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Anyone want to share their stories?
One of my last flights in the Marine Corps. Took a T-45C to the grad 1v1 in Fallon. Pushed around an F-5 during the morning go and got to lead the flight to the overhead. Got spanked pretty bad in the afternoon by an F/A-18C who didn't do what I wanted him to do. After two sets, we ended up doing tail chase down low through the training area. Good times.

S/F

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
My first day on the job as the C2F Flag Aide was the Change of Command where my boss was relieving Streak Chanik. I swear I can’t remember if Streak himself or someone else told me that he flew MiGs. I do remember thinking it sounded like a 10% true sea story. It was freaking awesome to see Streak in that video and called out several times by the zoomies. Great find!!!

skybert

Skybert
I was an A-6 power plants mech, (Marines) so any good ‘truder story works for me!

we were on a det to Key West when one of ours got into It with some Air Force F-4’s. The pocket natops comes loose from the corner of the glareshield and the pilot starts slapping around, trying to get it. Catches the gear handle and bent Some gear doors, they pinned the gear and the crew got to fly it home to Cherry Point that way…..

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
That sounds right for a landing gear overspeed. I'm pretty sure that in most airplanes, the struts and wheels themselves would survive an extension pretty near Vmax and that gear speed is set mostly so the doors and other secondary bits don't wear out, and why overspeed inspections usually seem to get signed off and leave you wondering what the big deal is.