• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Government Shutdown - Take action for or against saluting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Did you ask her what she was doing in the military?

No, but I did just turn around and walk away while she stood at attention waiting for my salute. Probably not the right response but whatever. I grew up in flight school saluting my LT/Capt IP's as a JG, and as a LT today, I will always salute a Marine Maj and I'll call shoe LCDR's "sir" until told otherwise......because that is how things work in their world. But at the Oceana Commissary? She had to be smoking crack.

Last edited:

P3 F0

None
No, but I did just turn around and walk away while she stood at attention waiting for my salute. Probably not the right response but whatever. I grew up in flight school saluting my LT/Capt IP's as a JG, and as a LT today, I will always salute a Marine Maj and I'll call shoe LCDR's "sir" until told otherwise......because that is how things work in their world. But at the Oceana Commissary? She had to be smoking crack.
Wow. 1,000% wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm not a live-by-the-rules buzzkill, but boy would I have stopped you had you done that to me (granted, I wouldn't have angled for a salute in the first place). Not much difference in my eyes between what you did and simply flipping her the bird.

She did what was proper; you were the one on crack. You can hope on an air station that O-4's won't care as much about that kind of thing, but if you run into one that DOES care, you'd better roger up happily. You do realize that you set an example to others, right? And that rendering a salute is the right thing to do? I find your lack of humility and sense of entitlement astounding.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Huh? She tried to chew him out in a dark parking lot. It was clearly an error of omission not commission and bad form on the LCDR for treating it like the latter.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I got an email response from my Rep and a paper letter response from one of my Senators. The only one I didn't hear back from was Harry Reid. The content of the letters was meaningless--they typical "thank you for your concern; I share your beliefs; I too am concerned about the budget; blah blah blah" BS that is always in these letters, but I appreciate that they got back to me.

P3 F0

None
Huh? She tried to chew him out in a dark parking lot. It was clearly an error of omission not commission and bad form on the LCDR for treating it like the latter.
So, the LCDR got bent out of shape and could have been a douche. Big whoop. That means the LT can just ignore the LCDR? Do I get to ignore the XO or CO or CDRE next time he wants something I think is 'bad form'?

Here's what I saw from MIDNJAC: a) was addressed by the LCDR b) felt unjustly addressed, c) left the LCDR hanging by walking away without saluting, when that was clearly what the LCDR wanted to begin with, then d) felt totally justified and e) in turn characterized the LCDR as a douche for 1) not looking good, and 2) apparently not realizing the rules were different in the NAS Oceana commissary parking lot. Did I miss something?

I know I'm coming off like a douche myself, but I didn't want to let that post go without some sort of sanity check, and I'm not crazy about the idea of Ensigns and JG's reading that and thinking that's what they should do when they get out into the Fleet and what Aviators do in general. Maybe I'm getting too old--I feel like the bitter "It's mine now!" old man on the porch.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I wouldn't really put her in the hinge category. She was fat, looked 50, and was wearing blueberries.

At what point do you get to decide when, and to whom, you will render a salute? An O5 shoe? A more attractive hinge? Perhaps in the NAS Lemoore NEX parking lot? While I may not care for hinges, bluberries, shoes, old women, fatties or parking lots, I think it would have been far better and more officer-like to render a proper salute, regardless of their appearance.

Renegade One

None
At what point do you get to decide when, and to whom, you will render a salute? An O5 shoe? A more attractive hinge? Perhaps in the NAS Lemoore NEX parking lot? While I may not care for hinges, bluberries, shoes, old women, fatties or parking lots, I think it would have been far better and more officer-like to render a proper salute, regardless of their appearance.
"Captain Sobel…we salute the rank…not the [wo]man." ~ Maj Dick Winters, AUS, 506th PIR, 101st ABN DIV

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wouldn't ever go as far as to say that my response was the correct one. It was dumb and unprofessional, by any standard. The issue I took was that I was minding my own business (clearly too much) walking to my car, and I didn't notice someone in blueberries on the other side of the row of cars, at night, in a place where more than likely, that silhouette of a person given said uniform is someone who I'm not responsible for initiating a salute with (not to mention that we're outside of the normal realm of saluting given our distance/orientation to one another). So when said person goes out of their way to make a big deal out of a simple mistake, and then I realize they are getting angry about something that few if any other LCDR's in my community would, my inner child expresses itself. Not the right answer. The right answer would be to recognize that if they are upset enough about it to force an otherwise physically inconvenient confrontation in an off base establishment after a long friday night, it is probably worth it to give the salute. About that, you have no argument from me. For the record, I can see how the above assumptions would have been made given my previous post. My intent was not to set a poor example for the ENS/JG/wannabe/hopefuls on AW.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

To answer your question, yes, as a norm in my community, you would salute any O-5 and above as a JO. After a number of years of getting laughed at by just about every LCDR I ever saluted, the point is made. You can argue about whether that is wrong or right, but it is the norm fwiw. This isn't an assault on hinges.....I happen to like my hinges quite a lot, and I respect the job they do a whole lot, not to mention the wealth of experience they have. If showing that respect required a salute, then I would render it absolutely. The point is that they look at me like I have 5 arms growing out of my face if I do.

With that, I'm going to go on an O-4 saluting spree for the rest of the week to make it up to my AW friends. No hinge will get past me unscathed. It will be relentless

Last edited:

P3 F0

None
There shouldn't need to be a 'spree,' LT. That's the point. And please, put down the cross. It sounds like it's heavy.

robav8r

None
Contributor
6 to 8 paces away from a superior is when you should salute, followed by the greeting of the day. Outside of 6 to 8?, a simple greeting will do, but no salute required unless, of course, you choose to recognize and render the salute to the individual.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
With that, I'm going to go on an O-4 saluting spree for the rest of the week to make it up to my AW friends. No hinge will get past me unscathed. It will be relentless

Be sure and mention that you are doing it because you got called out on the internet for showing lack of military bearing. That should confirm your DHs suspicions that you have lost your mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.