• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Government Shutdown - Take action for or against saluting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An ill-understood principle: For saluting purposes, junior assumes the rank of the senior person they are with. So, if you are an O3 walking with an O5 and another O5 approaches, no salutes are required.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There shouldn't need to be a 'spree,' LT. That's the point. And please, put down the cross. It sounds like it's heavy.

This happened well over a year ago.....pretty sure both offending parties are over it. Just an anecdote from the past that became a threadjack. You can take my explanation or leave it.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
An ill-understood principle: For saluting purposes, junior assumes the rank of the senior person they are with...
For the most part, I enjoyed my loop tour. Except for the part where I had to return salutes from O-5s through O-8s.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
6 to 8 paces away from a superior is when you should salute, followed by the greeting of the day. Outside of 6 to 8?, a simple greeting will do, but no salute required unless, of course, you choose to recognize and render the salute to the individual.
Is that 6 to 8 paces if you're taller or shorter than 6 feet? Is it more like 10 to 12 paces if you're shorter, or more like 4 to 6 paces if you're taller. This is important stuff is shoe hinges (note: shoes don't use the word "hinge") are coming out of dark parking lots like little ninjas.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wrote my congress-folks, not a word in reply. I'm thinking that since I took them to task and my views were not exactly in line with their "party line", a reply may be delayed.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wrote my congress-folks, not a word in reply. I'm thinking that since I took them to task and my views were not exactly in line with their "party line", a reply may be delayed.
I'm thinkin' the DC pols on both 'sides' better wake up damn quick, the sheeple are really starting (at long last), to get fed up. Between the unwillingness on both sides to negotiate or compromise, the masses are slowly getting royally pissed off. The closing of selected popular gubment public sites, Nat'l parks, DC Monuments & Memorials, etc., designed to inflict maximum pain on the OWNERS of these treasures... WE THE PEOPLE, is backfiring. Since the gov't shutdown, all polls show steeply declining favorable numbers for the administration, and an unheard of 50% drop for congress from 15% to ~ 7%!:(
Lincoln-1.jpg Vietnam Wall.jpg

No need to rehash partisan differences, I believe most thinking American citizens, of whatever political stripe, will agree that most all of the pols that are chosen and sworn to represent US, are totally out of touch with US. They would do well to start listening to US. If they don't, our future and theirs, will be bleak indeed!:mad:

Last edited:

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I hope the "sheeple" are starting to wake up...not going to count on it though. Maybe if there were text messages sent to their Obama phones it would wake them up.

Renegade One

None
6 to 8 paces away from a superior is when you should salute, followed by the greeting of the day. Outside of 6 to 8?, a simple greeting will do, but no salute required unless, of course, you choose to recognize and render the salute to the individual.
I dunno…"within hailing range" but not within "saluting range"? I probably have a personal problem since I saluted a whole lot of cars with headlights on and a Flag Plate installed. Never did I shout "How're they hanging, Sir?" But I saluted.

Renegade One

None
Thread's taken a funky turn…but that's okay…surely not the first to do so.

Call me an asshole (only my friends can call me asshole to my face…), but the first…and EVERY time…you let someone junior to you in rank sashay on by without rendering the military courtesy expected between men and women engaged in the profession of bearing arms for their nation…you're saying "That's okay…you've correctly identified me as a worthless douche."

If you think the perceived message is "Hey, he's a good guy/gal!" Well…epic fail. Your call.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Call me an asshole (only my friends can call me asshole to my face…), but the first…and EVERY time…you let someone junior to you in rank sashay on by without rendering the military courtesy expected between men and women engaged in the profession of bearing arms for their nation…you're saying "That's okay…you've correctly identified me as a worthless douche."
Which goes back to the whole error of ommission vs. error of commission.

If you feel the need to be a hardass about saluting in a dark commissary parking lot, presumably at all sorts of awkward angles of approach and such, you're probably compensating for something. People who command respect by merit tend not to demand it so fervently.

But hey, I guess the fact that I may have on some occassions let a day-after-duty sailor who has glazed over eyes pass by without saluting and not said anything makes me a worthless douche just because I can recognize the difference when someone purposefully gaffed me off and when someone is just dazed out from having 3 hours of sleep in 48 hours. Or times when I'm in the NEX/Commissary parking lot and an enlisted servicemember is getting into his car as I walk by...I guess I should stop him and tell him he is to stand at attention and demand that he salute me instead of just letting him go. Do you really think that being a hardass about salutes in those situations (referring to honest mistakes/gray areas) is going to build any perception other than "what a self-entitled worthless douche?"

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
^^^Probably not the very best reason, but one that works for me.
I didn't mean seniors by that, but instead meant junior enlisted folks. The Sailors are always watching and they take their cues from us as officers. The sailors may not know that me and the First are buds, they just know a LT didn't salute a LCDR. why leave them to wonder if it's because I'm a dirtbag or I don't respect the First, when I can just do my bit to maintain good order and discipline.

Very small sample size and flagrantly over generalized but I personally never met anyone who was really awesome in the plane who was also into the salute obsession. There actually did seem to be some truth to the "dude you should be reading Natops and not the Uniform Regs" line. Seriously, in terms of picking battles, my thought it that in the broad scheme it's so embarrassingly minor that only the more self-interested "I Love Me Wall" types would get after someone for not saluting. Those who care about "professionalism" as it relates to flying an airplane seem natural at prioritizing it over summer camp "salute me" alleged professionalism.

Either way who cares, to each his own, it probably all comes from a good place so I say let the salute seeking nazis stand their ground without being ostracized by the ready room.

Status
Not open for further replies.