• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Government Shutdown - Take action for or against saluting

Status
Not open for further replies.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Increase the quality of fresh food at the commissary (produce and meats), remove the obligatory $2 bagger tip, which is particularly annoying when you're picking up just enough items to exceed the self-checkout limit but not enough to drive said tip below 30% of your bill, and remove the mandatory MWR surcharge, and you'd already increase the amount of servicemembers who shop there without altering the prices of any items.

The comissary isn't Trader Joe's. Like anything in life, you get what you pay for but for a lot the lack of USDA prime beef in the meat section, etc, isn't a deal breaker. If I bought the same shit out in town that I do at the comissary, I'd be paying a helluva lot more money for my groceries.

I shop the comissary and as a single source income family with a wife and three kids, it makes a difference for me. I can only imagine how it impacts the junior sailors, especially those with families.

Renegade One

None
Any of you spirited AWs actually "taken any action" per the OPs link? Or are we just bitching over MIDRATS in the Dirty Shirt Wardroom? I'm all for the second…let it all out…just so long as you know it doesn't mean anything, but it feels good. I've long been a fan of that kind of stuff. ;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The comissary isn't Trader Joe's. Like anything in life, you get what you pay for but for a lot the lack of USDA prime beef in the meat section, etc, isn't a deal breaker. If I bought the same shit out in town that I do at the comissary, I'd be paying a helluva lot more money for my groceries.

I shop the comissary and as a single source income family with a wife and three kids, it makes a difference for me. I can only imagine how it impacts the junior sailors, especially those with families.
I wasn't talking about filet mignon or organically grown exotic vegetables. I was talking about stocking with produce that doesn't spoil in 12 hours in the fridge.

There are savings to be had, sure. Mostly in the meat/chicken department. But for me, I would have to shop at two different stores in order to obtain produce that didn't spoil before I could eat it, which is time consuming. On top of that, during an operational tour they weren't open at a time where I could actually go there to shop during the week, it was a half hour drive my wife didn't want to make to save a few bucks rather than go to Walmart or Target down the block, and whenever I went on the weekend they were all out of the aforementioned best bargain foods making the trip not worthwhile.

Of course, I was stationed at relatively small Naval commands so I don't know what the quality or selection at the commissary at Norfolk or Pearl is like.

My point in all this is that there are a few small improvements that the commissary can make to drastically increase the amount of people who use it as their primary source for supermarkets and increase revenue.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I stopped going to the commissary when some shoe O-4 in blueberries attacked me in the parking lot for not saluting her when she popped out from between cars in a pitch black parking lot. Not that I went there much anyway, but seriously......

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I wonder if it would be cheaper to just increase BAS a bit and shutter the commissaries in all but the OCONUS and more remote bases (which I am going to assume are the most profitable or least unprofitable locations). Anyone stationed at a location w/o a commissary gets an extra $X/mo. Would that cost less then keeping every commissary open, especially if they were strategic about which ones remained open?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Enlisted service members on a sea tour don't get BAS. Technically they do, but it's automatically deducted to the boat so they never see it, even in port.

They should if they reside off the barracks because expecting them to commute to the boat or galley every meal when they have an apt/house with a stove is retarded. It's even dumber with dependents -- honey I'm gonna go to the galley for breakfast at 0530 Sunday so I can eat the food I already paid for.

But the way the MILPERSMAN reads it's clear that BAS is intended to be for the service member only and to be used in government provided mess facilities. It's not for food shopping or to eat lunch at Subway.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Any of you spirited AWs actually "taken any action" per the OPs link? Or are we just bitching over MIDRATS in the Dirty Shirt Wardroom? I'm all for the second…let it all out…just so long as you know it doesn't mean anything, but it feels good. I've long been a fan of that kind of stuff. ;)

I took action per the OP, and got this reply, cut and pasted in its entirity, from the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein:

"As a result of the Government shutdown, my office is currently unable to respond to your email. I will respond to your concerns as soon as possible."

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I took action per the OP, and got this reply, cut and pasted in its entirity, from the office of Senator Dianne Feinstein:

"As a result of the Government shutdown, my office is currently unable to respond to your email. I will respond to your concerns as soon as possible."

I've heard of other people getting the same results. Almost comical and the irony is stifling.

Renegade One

None

It's beyond comical…as the good Senator jets back and forth with her staff minions all texting and tweeting along the way. Actually, that may have been the "most informative" response you could ever receive.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I stopped going to the commissary when some shoe O-4 in blueberries attacked me in the parking lot for not saluting her when she popped out from between cars in a pitch black parking lot. Not that I went there much anyway, but seriously......

Solid logic. Hinge ruins your day....

....F*CK THE COMMISSARY!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enlisted service members on a sea tour don't get BAS. Technically they do, but it's automatically deducted to the boat so they never see it, even in port.
Only if you're ship's company. Not the case for squadron folks.

Pags

N/A
pilot

They should if they reside off the barracks because expecting them to commute to the boat or galley every meal when they have an apt/house with a stove is retarded. It's even dumber with dependents -- honey I'm gonna go to the galley for breakfast at 0530 Sunday so I can eat the food I already paid for.

But the way the MILPERSMAN reads it's clear that BAS is intended to be for the service member only and to be used in government provided mess facilities. It's not for food shopping or to eat lunch at Subway.
That's because in most cases the galley is open on the ship even in port.

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot

Did you ask her what she was doing in the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.