• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got Sig?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not online, but Jay's is overpriced in general. Just FYI.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I carried the -228 while flying and love shooting it. I would like to get one for the house, but would like for those in the know to explain the difference b/w the -226, -228, and -229. I think I would also like to have the -228 in .40 if that's possible.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I carried the -228 while flying and love shooting it. I would like to get one for the house, but would like for those in the know to explain the difference b/w the -226, -228, and -229. I think I would also like to have the -228 in .40 if that's possible.

The 228 is almost the same as the 229 except that it has a stamped slide and the 229's slide is milled from a solid piece. The 228 also only comes in 9mm whereas the 229 is available in 9mm, .357sig, or .40s&w. The 228 was mainly just for military and police sales I believe, but you can still find them. The 229 sounds like what you want though, I have one in .40 and I love it. The 226 is the full sized pistol that the compact 229 is based on. It feels the same and comes in the same calibers but has a longer slide and barrel.

BigRed389

None

Quick and dirty, 226 is full sized, 229 is compact.

226 is 9mm/.40/.357
229 is 9mm/.40/.357
If you want a .45, you have to get a 220, which comes in different sizes.

Oh, and 228s aren't sold new anymore.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got Sig? Just picked up a gently used P226 for less than $400 including FFL transfer/shipping.

ryan1234

btw just picked up a Sig 556 Classic about a week ago, broke in the barrel... it's niiiice... little front heavy, but it makes for stable follow up shots. Got the Sig red dot with it... it's okay, has held zero so far. The diopter rear sights are nice, but suprisingly there is a little "emergency" flip up rear sight - that was actually perfectly zeroed from the factory. Crispy trigger. Althought the Sig mag functions fine (so far) it feels kinda cheap, I got a Lancer mag to make it kinda look more like the 551/2. Despite the folding stock and all.. it doesn't seem as 'modular' as the AR, but it seems to shoot a little better (in my opinion).

Sig is letting you choose whether you want $500 in accessories or $300 in a check for the rebate.

Oh, and if anybody is considering getting one... with that 1:7 it really just likes 62gr plus... doesn't seem to care for the <55gr - also if you have an EOTech, you'll probably have to buy a new 'tactical' charging handle - the EOTech is a little fat on top of the rail.

Bevo16

pilot
I was in my local shop Thursday, and the sales guy I go through said that Sig is doing everything they can to get the older 556's off the shelves to make room for when the Sig 516 comes out. That rifle looks like a sweet shooter from the American Rifleman article and the reviews are much higher than when Ruger came out with their piston.

Speaking of piston guns, I got to fondle a SCAR at the range last week. I was surprised by how light it is, but for $3600 it just does not make any sense. WAY to much money when the alternatives are considered.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Anyone have thoughts on the sig mosquito? I'm looking for a .22 and debating between a walther P22 and a Mosquito; I'm not really interested in a Ruger, even though they've generally got better reviews than both of the above; I don't care for the look and want something that will feel/look similiar to bigger guns I intend to move the devilwoman up to.

BigRed389

None
Anyone have thoughts on the sig mosquito? I'm looking for a .22 and debating between a walther P22 and a Mosquito; I'm not really interested in a Ruger, even though they've generally got better reviews than both of the above; I don't care for the look and want something that will feel/look similiar to bigger guns I intend to move the devilwoman up to.

I have a SIG Mosquito. It's not bad, but if I already HAD a SIG, I'd look into a conversion kit as an alternative.

But as long as you are willing to live with its faults, it's not too bad.
1) The trigger SUCKS in DA. On the other hand, if you can shoot with reasonable accuracy with that trigger, you'll be amazing with any other gun. It's significantly longer and heavier in DA than the M9 or P226 for comparison.
2) Finicky. SIG recommends only one type of ammo for it. I've gotten several malfunctions (1/10 rd magazine with both Winchester and American Eagle ammo - the AE is 40gr high velocity stuff too). On the other hand, it's nice to be able to practice malfunction drills without knowing it's coming, particularly as you know it's not going to be your SD weapon. Requires a lot of oil and cleaning to keep running decently as well, or you'll be getting a new malfunction every other round.

That's pretty much it...reliability is the real killer. Trigger is pretty sweet in SA, and otherwise feels just like a very small SIG, controls in all the right places except a Beretta style ambi safety.

ryan1234

I was in my local shop Thursday, and the sales guy I go through said that Sig is doing everything they can to get the older 556's off the shelves to make room for when the Sig 516 comes out. That rifle looks like a sweet shooter from the American Rifleman article and the reviews are much higher than when Ruger came out with their piston.

Speaking of piston guns, I got to fondle a SCAR at the range last week. I was surprised by how light it is, but for $3600 it just does not make any sense. WAY to much money when the alternatives are considered.

Saw the same review of the 516. You guys can have it. I'm happy with this 556... if only for the sheer fact you don't really see them at the range that much and it's not just another AR.

On the positive side... I heard it lists for around $1300 ... which will probably cause the other gas piston ARs to fall back down to reality.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked at the Sig and the Walther. Shot each, ended up with the P22. I really like the P22 and, as Kool Aide drinking Sig man, hate to say it is much nicer then the Mosquito. The Walther needs to have a couple hundred high velocity rounds run through it before it begins to eat cheaper stuff. On the other hand, the Sig never seems to process anything very well. I also found the Walther trigger to be very nice in both DA and SA. If you want something Sig like to train with, as I did, just look at a .22 conversion as recommended above. In the mean time, the Walther functions jut like a real combat gun and is a fine analogue.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I looked at the Sig and the Walther. Shot each, ended up with the P22. I really like the P22 and, as Kool Aide drinking Sig man, hate to say it is much nicer then the Mosquito. The Walther needs to have a couple hundred high velocity rounds run through it before it begins to eat cheaper stuff. On the other hand, the Sig never seems to process anything very well. I also found the Walther trigger to be very nice in both DA and SA. If you want something Sig like to train with, as I did, just look at a .22 conversion as recommended above. In the mean time, the Walther functions jut like a real combat gun and is a fine analogue.

Thanks, this was what I'm looking for. I don't really plan to run cheap stuff thru it (22s are already cheap enough as it is...) and the Walther is usually 60-100 bucks cheaper depending on where you look. Both seem like fine guns. I'll let you guys know what I end up with...maybe I'll just get the walther and buy a nice 9mm for myself.