• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got latte ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Link: [FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Starbucks asks not to be center of gun debate[/FONT]

I gotta' hand it to Schultz & Co. as they are taking a reasonable stand ... and I'll support 'em as a result ... and against my better judgment, I'll even order a limp/dried-out/no trans-fat apple fritter w/ my coffee tomorrow.

yougotit.png

CAMike

None
Contributor
The comments concerning the StarBucks Open Carry story in San Francisco http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/03/03/financial/f050245S67.DTL are telling. If the state of CA would be more consistent in the way they evaluate and issue CCW's this wouldn't be so much of an issue. Here in the valley receiving a CCW is relatively straight forward. In the Bay Area and most Southern Cal counties- only folks like Sean Penn can get one and he's a pretty poor example of who should have a CCW.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I don't really get the outrage against open carry. Yeah, it doesn't currently really fit into the soccer mom's baseline environment, but that doesn't mean it's dangerous. I don't open carry, but I just haven't figured out what the rationale is that gets people to spend their time and resources being against it. Can somebody explain it "Barney style" to me?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't really get the outrage against open carry. Yeah, it doesn't currently really fit into the soccer mom's baseline environment, but that doesn't mean it's dangerous. I don't open carry, but I just haven't figured out what the rationale is that gets people to spend their time and resources being against it. Can somebody explain it "Barney style" to me?
Certain people may be utterly wrong, and ignorant goons. But that doesn't mean that you are going to persuade them of their wrongness, and convince them to give up their goonish tendencies, by being "that guy." Better to set the example of a sane, level-headed person IN THEIR MIND who happens to own guns than strapping on a hog-leg and going out for a mocha. It's like the people who march for gay rights wearing assless chaps and then wonder why the moms are shielding their 5-year-olds' eyes and not listening. Well, DUH.

m26

Contributor

I'm the reverse, I don't understand why someone would want to open carry. I have no problem with it, and can see how it could be a deterrent, but I can't help thinking of it as tipping your hand, making a potential attacker come up with a good way to deal with your weapon.

But that might not be entirely rational, and irrationality seems to be the whole problem we're dealing with here.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I'd support them too if they built one within 100 miles of NMM :)
Whahahaha!!! Tangent- I remember those days making "Fatboy" runs up to Tuscaloosa with my friends...and wife. Starbucks-Chipotle-Five Guys-Buffalo Wild Wings- then Coldstone... clutch maybe not all in one trip. I now have 3 starbucks within a 1.5 miles of my house.

magnetfreezer

I'm the reverse, I don't understand why someone would want to open carry. I have no problem with it, and can see how it could be a deterrent, but I can't help thinking of it as tipping your hand, making a potential attacker come up with a good way to deal with your weapon.

But that might not be entirely rational, and irrationality seems to be the whole problem we're dealing with here.

In several states open carry is unregulated while CCW requires a permit. Some people open carry to make the point that 2nd amendment rights, like the others, don't come from the government and therefore we don't need a permit to exercise them.

I guess I have to start drinking coffee now.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Starbucks-Chipotle-Five Guys-Buffalo Wild Wings- then Coldstone...

Every time I leave 'da Islands, I make a similar run. You never know how much you love Olive Garden or Chipotle until you don't have one within 2000 miles. . .

I also give a thumbs up to $tarbuck$, even though I can't go anywhere in this state with a gun, unless it's disassembled, in a locked box in my trunk, with ammo in a separate, locked box.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Whahahaha!!! Tangent- I remember those days making "Fatboy" runs up to Tuscaloosa with my friends...and wife. Starbucks-Chipotle-Five Guys-Buffalo Wild Wings- then Coldstone... clutch maybe not all in one trip. I now have 3 starbucks within a 1.5 miles of my house.

+1 that's what I'm talkin about. One of my many reasons for hoping to go to the rock after this.....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Much, much better coffee than Starbucks if you can get up here. Hint: Don't look for the storefronts; look for the little drivethru shacks. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Much, much better coffee than Starbucks if you can get up here. Hint: Don't look for the storefronts; look for the little drivethru shacks. :)

True, I grew up with it in a college town in OR (aside from smaller shops, I've definitely missed Dutch Bros), but at this point even Starbucks makes me happy

OscarMyers

None
I got hooked on capos when stationed over in sigonella sicily. Starbucks just holds me over untill i can get back. But cudos to them for making a good decision. Not quite the liberal hippies i had them made out to be in my head.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I got hooked on capos when stationed over in sigonella sicily. Starbucks just holds me over untill i can get back. But cudos to them for making a good decision. Not quite the liberal hippies i had them made out to be in my head.

Agreed. I think they probably realized that their market is really no longer in hippies, who probably found local organic shops and have jumped on the anti-starbucks bandwagon.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I had a Business Law professor in college that had a great outlook on some of the obsure laws out there that people would keep bringing up. To paraphrase: 'In Texas, it is perfectly legal to have a loaded shotgun slung over your shoulder while you are walking on Main Street or through the mall. But, it's probably not a good idea to actually do it.' I think that applies to a lot of things in life.

That's kind of how I look at the open carry laws. It has it's time and place, but I don't know that a trip to Starbucks is when you need to be "strapped." It seems to me that the people that need to carry a .50 Desert Eagle on their hip for the world to see are looking for instant street cred. If you want to carry a gun in your car, go for it. In your house, I'll support you all the way. I have mine there. Even if you want to conceal it, go for it. But, I don't really see the need for the hand cannon on your hip at the grocery store in today's society. Maybe it's just me.

Things like this are why I never joined the NRA.