• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Goose meets Jet Engine

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
http://tailspinstales.blogspot.com/2009/01/one-way-to-bring-down-airliner.html

Hence the reason the Airbus went down. Holy cats. You can hear the broken-off fan blades clattering as they hit the ground.

That looked more like a blade-out test to me, like they actually exploded one of the fan blades to see if the engine housing could handle the flying blade pieces. I didnt actually see any bird carcass go into the engine.

Are there any professional engineers on here, what kind of test was this?

STLEngineer

pilot
That looked more like a blade-out test to me, like they actually exploded one of the fan blades to see if the engine housing could handle the flying blade pieces. I didnt actually see any bird carcass go into the engine.

I wasn't an engines guy, but a Aerodynamics/Structures guy. If you didn't see the bird, it's possible that the quality of the video causes you to miss it. Most likely it was launched into the engine at a fixed speed (say 200 KTS+).

From what my old co-workers told me, the birds they launched at structure used to be frozen, too. Nothing like making the tests a little more conservative.

I believe MB was an Engines engineer type, maybe he'll chime in.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

Judging from the movie I think you're correct. It's a containment test. The orange blade you see would have a charge on it, to also identify it for the high speed footage. Watched a lot of these in college, they look really cool in slow motion.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What a tool. I hope this guy knows that every proffesional pilot that reads this is laughing their ass off at him.
I believe he's also a former/retired single anchor type, and thus, a professional pilot himself. It's at least somewhat more cogent than the drivel the media put out, anyway.

MasterBates

Having done blade out tests on a PW4098s and other PW4000 series engines while with Pratt & Whitney, I'm saying that's a blade out test. The chicken gun would be in frame if that was what they are doing.

Also, the compressor/fans tend to chop up the birds, normally trashing the motor and it quitting, but having a such a massive blade failure is not common.

Also, see the orange blade? I'll bet that's the one they blew, and in the high speed (this is the real time video) it was much more closely watched.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having done blade out tests on a PW4098s and other PW4000 series engines while with Pratt & Whitney, I'm saying that's a blade out test. The chicken gun would be in frame if that was what they are doing.

Also, the compressor/fans tend to chop up the birds, normally trashing the motor and it quitting, but having a such a massive blade failure is not common.

Also, see the orange blade? I'll bet that's the one they blew, and in the high speed (this is the real time video) it was much more closely watched.
Aha. I thought that was just a visual reference as to the RPM of the fan. Makes sense.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I believe he's also a former/retired single anchor type, and thus, a professional pilot himself. It's at least somewhat more cogent than the drivel the media put out, anyway.

I certainly hope not. I can totally see the flight sim dorks and wannabe's doing something like that, but certainly not a dude with extensive experience. He would also know that video was a containment test and not a bird strike.

Like MB said, I took a large bird down a motor in the Hornet and all it did was slightly twist three fan blades on the first stage. Bird strikes aren't that spectacular (and smell awful).

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
From what my old co-workers told me, the birds they launched at structure used to be frozen, too. Nothing like making the tests a little more conservative.

Frozen birds are actually a mistake. A frozen bird will do much much much more severe damage than a thawed bird. It's like the difference between a nerf ball and a baseball. Conservative doesn't quite cover the difference...