• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Golf at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAmookie

With all that time on your hands at TBS, anyone play a lot of golf? Im hoping that ill have some time to play but am fairly new to the sport. Im looking into getting some Golden Bear clubs. Anyone have input on clubs or anything else golf related? THanks

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I played the Quanico course once on a sunday. I thought it was a great course! It tends to be pretty busy though. Because of the weather, I didn't really have a lot of chances to play (Alpha Co 02-03). There's a driving range between the two gates on Jefferson Davis Highway which is part of a little park. You'll see the signs for the park, if your heading south on JDH you'll turn right into the park then make the first left for the range, batting cage and put put.

motv8r

Where do I sign up?
Golden Bears are a good choice for your first set of clubs. Good offset and easy to hit. If you have the extra cash, get them fitted. Fitting makes a big difference. You will find that you dont have to change your swing for each club. The Medal of Honor course at Quantico is ok. It's always packed on the weekends and the course is usually in good shape. Although, I have hit some good drives on that course only to find clover patches in the fairways. Now I am hitting my approach from 3 in of clover fluff.

Your time money will be well spent at Ft. Belvoir's course. Just 15-20 min north of Quantico. I have played that course a number of times and its a whole lot of fun. Lots of hills and groundhogs. Yeah them furry little bastards are everywhere on Ft. Belvoir. The hills on the course work to the short driver's advantage. A decent 200-230 drive will usually roll about 20-30 yds down hill.

Extra time? Check out Andrews AFB. Its about an 1 hour & 30 min from Quantico. The Golf course here is in emaculate shape all the time. Difficulty rating is up there and I do recall a somewhat of island green par 3. Way fun!!

Reactions: E5B

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I'm a golfer. Been playing golf for about six years, and played in several golf tournaments in high school. I was about a 1 handicapper but haven't played too much lately. For golf clubs, go with cast cavity-backed irons, not forged blades. Don't spend the money on the most expensive golf clubs, you can get a great deal at Edwin Watts or other golf shops buying older, brand-new clubs, that are just a few years old. In high school I bought a brand-new set of Titleist 990 irons for $400. You can always get some top-of-the-line clubs to fit your budget. I bought them about two years after they originally came out. You don't have to spend $700 to get a good, solid, set of irons. Get something foregiving, and watch your scores get lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.