• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gold to Silver - Active Duty Version

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, it's been over two years in the making, but here's my gouge on how to move to Mother Blue.

The caveat, the Air Force has temporarily put a hiatus on active-duty rated (pilot) transfers. I ran into a lot of roadblocks with conflicting instructions being an active duty-active duty transfer. I have a feeling they are trying to sort those out because as it sits right now, the AF still needs a lot of pilots. I have no idea when they will start taking IST pilots again.

Please reach out to me for help, with questions, etc. I feel like I lucked into a good deal and I want to help others if they are so inclined.

Attachments

• Gold to Silver Active Duty Edition.docx
    47.3 KB · Views: 152

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do you have any gouge on how to continue looking yourself in the mirror after the transition? Is it similar to the cure for putting on O-4, namely, alcohol and a healthy denial of self esteem?

The only long term solution is elimination of any original thought or opinions. Farva was basically on life support when he arrived in Fallon the second time/post DH....just a broken doormat of a man....but look where he is now! ?

taxi1

pilot
They didn't have an SAC slots?

Slim-Pickens-as-Major-T.-J.-Kong-in-Dr.-Strangelove-150x150.jpg

Mirage

pilot
So, it's been over two years in the making, but here's my gouge on how to move to Mother Blue.

The caveat, the Air Force has temporarily put a hiatus on active-duty rated (pilot) transfers. I ran into a lot of roadblocks with conflicting instructions being an active duty-active duty transfer. I have a feeling they are trying to sort those out because as it sits right now, the AF still needs a lot of pilots. I have no idea when they will start taking IST pilots again.

Please reach out to me for help, with questions, etc. I feel like I lucked into a good deal and I want to help others if they are so inclined.

This is incredibly helpful.. thanks so much for taking the time to put this together! Hopefully they open it back up for pilots soon, as I'm very interested.

In the mean time, would you mind elaborating on why it's such a good deal, and what the downsides are from your perspective? You mentioned there's a lot more opportunity to string together flying tours... is that true more or less regardless of the community? And does that realistically mean accepting repeated sea tours (or whatever the AF calls them), or are there plenty of flying shore tours (even if OCONUS... just not separating from family for months at a time)? Thinking specifically at the O-4/O-5 levels.

Thanks again!

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
This is incredibly helpful.. thanks so much for taking the time to put this together! Hopefully they open it back up for pilots soon, as I'm very interested.

In the mean time, would you mind elaborating on why it's such a good deal, and what the downsides are from your perspective? You mentioned there's a lot more opportunity to string together flying tours... is that true more or less regardless of the community? And does that realistically mean accepting repeated sea tours (or whatever the AF calls them), or are there plenty of flying shore tours (even if OCONUS... just not separating from family for months at a time)? Thinking specifically at the O-4/O-5 levels.

Thanks again!

I wish I had insight on what the holdup is on the IST program, when it opens back up is anyone's guess.

As to why it's a good deal, to me, it's because the AF gives you a lot more paths and avenues to fly your entire career. So far, since I started flight school 15 years ago I've never left the cockpit. My entire goal has been to fly as much as possible and the Navy was forcing me into 3 years of non-flying, with no wiggle room. Instead, I've logged a little over 400 hours in the past 15 months. As you get senior, if you end up as a terminal O-4, the AF has a lot of options to keep flying. Right now they almost force you into flying and you have to ask to go to a non-flying job. If you make O-5, there's not as many options but there are still plenty of billets that will keep you in the cockpit and flying at least once every week or so, if not more. It's not like the Navy where, as an O-5, if you aren't a CO/XO, you are almost virtually guaranteed to never fly again.

For me personally, I just made O-5 so I have some choices to make, whether to pursue command or pursue some various flying options. One thing I do like about the AF and command screen is you have to opt in, and you don't have the narrow window to screen like the Navy does. The other nice thing is that I have options that will let me stay in the cockpit until the day I retire if I choose.

As to deployments, in my community it's different because they'll deploy individual crews and not the entire squadron. I just got home from a two month deployment and probably won't deploy again for quite some time. There are some non-flying deployments out there, and the AF has their version of the IA/GSA deployments called a 365 or 180-day. Those do suck but the number of those types of deployments are dwindling as ops in CENTCOM aren't as busy as the heavy days of Iraq/Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Gamecocks_15

Please reach out to me for help, with questions, etc. I feel like I lucked into a good deal and I want to help others if

What's the training pipeline like to switch from helos to big wing in a different branch?

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
What's the training pipeline like to switch from helos to big wing in a different branch?
Since I was previously fixed wing qualified from Navy flight training, the Air Force sent me straight to the tanker schoolhouse. That took a bit over five months but that was a bit long because I went over the holidays and had some weather delays.