• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to try for another waiver

cgoetz

Well I haven't posted on here for a couple of years. I stopped trying for the navy because I needed to get a waiver for depression which was rediagnosed by a psychologist as adjustment disorder which I was told was less serious but I could be wrong. Anyway I'm not going to go into the whole story I don't feel like typing all of it. Botom line is I'm going to call an officer recruiter and try again for the waiver. When I was turned down for the waiver last time the recruiter told me that the main reason was because there are so many people applying and they can be picky about who they take. I guess I'm just banking on the fact that maybe as time goes on things will change. I originally wanted to apply for pilot but since I'm getting I'm looking into other officer postions. I just want to get in the navy and I don't care what I have to go through. I'm actually right now getting a second degree in engineering. I'm wondering if that will help my chances for being considered for a waiver.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't think the extra degree will help. Your focus should be on what caused the waiver and take appropriate steps to clear up those issues. Adjustment disorders need a couple of things in order to be waivered: 1. No meds. 2. Clean bill of health.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not to dash your hopes, because persistence is key in anything, but it hasn't gotten any easier in the last 2 years to get in.....if anything, it has been the opposite

cgoetz

That's part of the reason of why im pusuind the degree figure it will help me be more competitive. Anyway all I can do is try. I don't care what the odds are.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Having just gone through the waiver process, I can tell you that you're going to want to have as much documentation concerning your condition as humanly possible. Also, expect to be waiting for quite some time to go to OCS.

cgoetz

Well I got a ton of documentation the last time I applied and I was sure that would have been enough. I get the feeling they had so many people to choose from they didn't have any incentive to grant a waiver. As for the wait being long it doesn't surprise me in the least and what I can I really do about it right? Im just going to try to contact a recruiter and go from there.

cgoetz

Well I'm planning to call the recruiter. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I should introduce situation when I talk to him?

GreenLantern330

Well I got a ton of documentation the last time I applied and I was sure that would have been enough. I get the feeling they had so many people to choose from they didn't have any incentive to grant a waiver. As for the wait being long it doesn't surprise me in the least and what I can I really do about it right? Im just going to try to contact a recruiter and go from there.

Even if you had a ton of documentation, you'll still need that clean bill of health. I'm currently going through the waiver process, and I cannot stress enough how important it is to listen to feddoc on this one. My OR agreed with him: no meds and get a clean bill of health. Without either, a waiver won't look likely.

cgoetz

Well this may seem a silly question but does anyone know how to go about getting a clean bill of health? Because I already thought I did but from what Ive been hearing from you guys thats not the case. I don't want to screw this up just because I didn't go about handling this the right way but I need some guidance.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well this may seem a silly question but does anyone know how to go about getting a clean bill of health? Because I already thought I did but from what Ive been hearing from you guys thats not the case. I don't want to screw this up just because I didn't go about handling this the right way but I need some guidance.

It really depends upon the MEPS doctor and how much documentation you can provide them. I was in a similar situation as you, but I lacked a lot of the documentation that they required which made them drag everything out and send me to a psychiatrist for an outside consultation. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll go into a little more detail.

Suffice it to say, any help Feddoc gives you is good gouge and as long as you can show that you have been off of medication without any episodes, you should be okay. Here's the thread I started when I ran into some problems:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...al-Question-About-Personality-Disorder-Waiver

cgoetz

Well I did go out for an outside consultation like meps told me to do and I got more documentation from both a psychiatrist and psychologist who both gave me favorable write-ups but I was still denied a waiver. I got the extra documentation based on the feed back I was given by my last recruiter but I get the feeling what he was telling me to do wasn't correct he just plain didn't know what he was doing, not that he was a bad guy. It would be nice to talk to someone who has a similiar situation because it seems like no one on here has an experience getting a waiver for what I specifically had trouble with. You can PM me if you want man or do I have to PM you?

GreenLantern330

From how I understand this, you got doctors to give you write ups dismissing your depression as an adjustment disorder. So, while that gets you off the hook for depression, it creates a new problem with the adjustment disorder. I think you would have to get another clean bill of health for the adjustment disorder diagnosis. If you already did get that, then disregard this.

cgoetz

Well if thats the case then that really burns my gears Heres what happened I was told by MEPS that I had to get a consultation for the depression. So I went to a psychologist who heard my whole case and rediagnosed me for adjustment disorder. I was told by the doctor after he rediagnosed me that adjustment disorder was alot less severe than depression. So from there I submitted his documentation he gave me. From there I was denied a waiver, however again my recruiter told me I could reapply if I wanted. Now if I was supposed a clean bill of health for the adjustment disorder I was NEVER told that, in fact my recruiter made it seem like there was nothing that could be done.

GreenLantern330

I'm not 100% positive on that one. I do recall seeing something in the NAMI Waiver Guide about adjustment disorders, though.

The link to the NAMI Waiver Guide can be found in this thread:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/139735-***NAMI-Medical-Waiver-Guide***

I tried to look through it for you, but the actual site isn't loading for some strange reason... Hope it works on your computer and it can clear it up. If not, I'd shoot feddoc a PM about it.

GreenLantern330

14.1 ADJUSTMENT DISORDERS

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Adjustment disorders are often associated with decreased
concentration, depression, anxiety, impairment of occupational or social functioning, inattention,
indecisiveness, fatigue, and insomnia, all of which are incompatible with aviation duties. This is
one of the most common psychiatric diagnoses among aviators.

WAIVER: Adjustment disorder is temporarily considered disqualifying (CD) for aviation until
resolved. Once fully resolved, the patient is PQ with no waiver required. In cases where
medication has been prescribed, the grounding period should include the time required for full
metabolism and clearance of the specific medication(s) used; an Aeromedical Clearance should
not be issued until the member is completely asymptomatic and free of medication effect.

INFORMATION REQUIRED: Upon return to an up status, FS must submit:
1. A brief summary of pertinent symptoms and treatment
2. All any mental health records or Medical Board reports (if applicable)

TREATMENT: Neither medication use nor psychotherapy during the symptomatic period is
compatible with aviation duties. All treatment must be completed, and adequate time must be
allowed for full metabolism and clearance of medication(s) prior to issuance of Aeromedical
Clearance.

FOLLOW-UP REQUIREMENTS: Psychiatric follow-up is at the discretion of the mental
health provider. Adjustment disorders diagnosed by mental health personnel are not considered
resolved until a mental health provider makes that statement in the patient's health record.

DISCUSSION: The subjective distress or impairment in functioning associated with adjustment
disorders is frequently manifested as decreased performance at work or school and temporary
changes in social relationships. Adjustment disorders are also associated with an increased risk
of suicide attempts and suicide.

Found it! Hope this helps.