• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Going to OCS in May for IWC. Had some life events and wanted more clarification.

asilerio

Hi, everyone, I've been Pro-Rec-Y for IPO. I've been in DEP and training and I'm ready physically. As the title says, I am set to leave in May, but I'm trying to leave a month early, in April. My wife is due first week of August. If I left in May, like I was originally scheduled, I would be risking missing out.

How long after OCS will I be going to Pensacola, if I leave early? Would I be waiting until I would have originally gone?

If I need to take a couple days leave during IWC training in Florida will that be at all possible? (For the labor)

My recruiter has been a big help and has told me things from his experience, but I'm looking for someone that has a more direct/recent experience.

CWO_change

IIRC, IP Basic Course is 20 weeks. Can't touch on the likelihood of you being able to leave early for OCS, but I don't know why the folks at IP Basic wouldn't accommodate you to be able to be at the birth if things align that way. Until the new, longer parental leave kicks in this December, folks with secondary caregiver leave get 21 days off (if your wife isn't military, and you can actually justify it, I'd apply to serve as the primary caregiver in order to get 6 weeks off to bond with your newborn child). That said, the more time you miss, the higher the likelihood that you'll be made to repeat the course sometime later.

RhodesReese

IP Basic isnt in Pensacola by the way. It is in Virginia Beach. Along with DIVO LC and IWBC. All together you are looking at 8-12 months depending on if you are put on hold at all. My buddy was on hold for 4 months before classing up for IPBC.

Also from what I am told due to the length IPBC is a PCS move. Is your family not going to go to Virginia Beach with you?

asilerio

They will be going with me, but if i have to go to IPBC the week she is due, she most likely will not. Only because of the whole traveling so close to giving birth.

CWO_change

IP Basic isnt in Pensacola by the way. It is in Virginia Beach. Along with DIVO LC and IWBC. All together you are looking at 8-12 months depending on if you are put on hold at all. My buddy was on hold for 4 months before classing up for IPBC.

Also from what I am told due to the length IPBC is a PCS move. Is your family not going to go to Virginia Beach with you?

Did they move IP Basic to VA Beach somewhat recently? I thought I swore they were doing it at the same place as CW Basic Course when I went through that in 2016.

RhodesReese

Did they move IP Basic to VA Beach somewhat recently? I thought I swore they were doing it at the same place as CW Basic Course when I went through that in 2016.
I’m not sure what year they moved it but it’s over in Damneck now along with NIOBC.

Joseph Arroyo

Greetings everyone. I’m ABH1 with 7 years of service. I have a BS in Engineering Tech with a GPA of 3.30 and an OAR of 52. I’m currently working on my officer package with the intend of applying for 1830. However, I have some questions about SWO/IW program. I have tried to get in contact with an OR but not success. I will really appreciate if anyone has a poc for an OR willing to answers some questions. Thank you all in advance!

CWO_change

Greetings everyone. I’m ABH1 with 7 years of service. I have a BS in Engineering Tech with a GPA of 3.30 and an OAR of 52. I’m currently working on my officer package with the intend of applying for 1830. However, I have some questions about SWO/IW program. I have tried to get in contact with an OR but not success. I will really appreciate if anyone has a poc for an OR willing to answers some questions. Thank you all in advance!

By SWO/IW, I assume you mean SWO/Cryptologic Warfare (CW)? If so, they don't offer those slots for OCS accessions anymore, even if they are technically on the books, so I wouldn't waste a ranking on that. Note, the SWO/CW (formally SWO/IW) was initially created to ensure that fully medically qualified USNA (and ROTC?) graduates had increased opportunities to serve as CWs. There are still several slots at the USNA that are getting filled IIRC, but even those are getting phased out.

Also, keep in mind Time In Service limits for CW and other communities; I'm pretty sure it's 6 years for CW. An interesting point is whether the TIS applies for option contracts. I'd defer to a recruiter/detailer on that, but I'd imagine that it would.

Last edited:

RhodesReese

Most recent dashboard with the boards currently slated. Only SWO OCEANO and SWO EDO are currently offered for a SWO option selection. If you are looking for a technical option, look at applying for IP 1820. They will be restricting TIS, similar to CW, soon but wont be as strict. Word is no more than 10 years TIS. So at 7, you have time to apply still.

Attachments

• DCO, GENOFF, NUKE DASHBOARD - 17 March.pdf
    423.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Joseph Arroyo

By SWO/IW, I assume you mean SWO/Cryptologic Warfare (CW)? If so, they don't offer those slots for OCS accessions anymore, even if they are technically on the books, so I wouldn't waste a ranking on that. Note, the SWO/CW (formally SWO/IW) was initially created to ensure that fully medically qualified USNA (and ROTC?) graduates had the opportunity to serve as CWs. There are still several slots at the USNA that are getting filled IIRC, but even those are getting phased out.

Also, keep in mind Time In Service limits for CW and other communities; I'm pretty sure it's 6 years for CW. An interesting point is whether the TIS applies for option contracts. I'd defer to a recruiter/detailer on that, but I'd imagine that it would.
Sir, thank you for the information. The reason I asked is because as per the proboard schedule, there is multiple boards IWC(CW/IP/OCEANO and SWO/IWC options) for this year. PA 108A does not states any TIS restrictions. However, I was planning in requesting a TIS waiver.

RhodesReese

Sir, thank you for the information. The reason I asked is because as per the proboard schedule, there is multiple boards IWC(CW/IP/OCEANO and SWO/IWC options) for this year. PA 108A does not states any TIS restrictions. However, I was planning in requesting a TIS waiver.
In this case the SWO/IWC options would be SWO OCEANO and SWO IP as they are IWC designators. SWO IP is currently closed. and SWO/CW option hasnt been offered in a while. But you could still go SWO then lat transfer to CW.

Joseph Arroyo

Most recent dashboard with the boards currently slated. Only SWO OCEANO and SWO EDO are currently offered for a SWO option selection. If you are looking for a technical option, look at applying for IP 1820. They will be restricting TIS, similar to CW, soon but wont be a strict. Word is no more than 10 years TIR. So at 7, you have time to apply still.th
In this case the SWO/IWC options would be SWO OCEANO and SWO IP as they are IWC designators. SWO IP is currently closed.
Thank you so much for providing me this information. It definitely cleared my questions and I will definitely will be ready those PA’s and moving forward with my package! Thanks!