• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going the Enlisted Route?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... While true that education is a prerequisite for entry into the Officer ranks, .....

That is a negatory good buddy!:eek:

It is true that a BS/BA degree is most often required for entry into the officer ranks. And usually, not always, a BS/BA degree is an indicator of an education.

In my time, I have met many Naval/Marine Corps Officers that did not hold a BS/BA degree, but none without an education.

:icon_tong:icon_tong

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
That is a negatory good buddy!:eek:

It is true that a BS/BA degree is most often required for entry into the officer ranks. And usually, not always, a BS/BA degree is an indicator of an education.

In my time, I have met many Naval/Marine Corps Officers that did not hold a BS/BA degree, but none without an education.

:icon_tong:icon_tong

not to mention that an LDO doesn't have to have a degree...

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I guess I was meaning a generalized officer in the pilot range of officer. The difference between maintainers in mostly education. I know that some maintainers have degrees or are obtaining their degree, but still the majority of maintainers do not have degrees. Some of our enlisted members make more money then the officers as well, but again the majority of them still don't make as much as the officers. I am not sure why this is since not to long ago members who don't have their degrees could become officers and pilots, but I guess somewhere the Navy figured out that you had to have a college degree to fly planes... like in some way that made you dependable and a responsible person. I cant really fight with that since I believe education is important... maybe not a college degree but education itself none the less.

mastertae

I thought I would update what is happening now. I decided to apply for OCS with the Marines and they want to schedule an interview when they have someone I can talk to in Pensacola. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and support.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have met MANY people at OCS with a wide range of different GPAs (many of which were sub-3.0). Some of these people had to apply multiple times, but you know what? At the end of the day, their bars are just as gold as anyone else's. If you are persistent with what you want and show the boards you are committed to getting a commission, then you have a good chance, regardless of your GPA. If you are going for pilot, being 26 definitely limits your time, but apply apply apply. The worst they can say is no.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Though being an enlisted member is much different then being an officer ( I would imagine) It is still very much a great learning experience and worthwhile job. It does take a long time as a military member to be doing your job because of training but once you get done with your school you can have an awarding experience. As for prior enlisted officers, I think you may have a larger view of the Navy as a whole but I can not say from experince.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have met MANY people at OCS with a wide range of different GPAs (many of which were sub-3.0). Some of these people had to apply multiple times, but you know what? At the end of the day, their bars are just as gold as anyone else's. If you are persistent with what you want and show the boards you are committed to getting a commission, then you have a good chance, regardless of your GPA. If you are going for pilot, being 26 definitely limits your time, but apply apply apply. The worst they can say is no.

GPA is no indicator of how good an officer will be. It's a recruiting data point. I know dudes who had higher GPAs that couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map. If you find yourself sitting with a group of other dudes discussing your GPAs.... things aren't going well.

Write a good statement, be able to get a security clearance, have some letters of recommendation and a college degree. Submit what you have. If it's not what they are looking for, they won't hire you. Good luck.