• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going the Enlisted Route?

mastertae

Sorry I'm not sure if this was the right area to post this question. I recently graduated from college with a B.S. degree in Political Science in May and wanted to join the military, but my Commulative GPA (a 2.5, but was originally a 3.0 before the Hurricanes hit Florida) is too low to become an officer. My in major GPA is actually very high since I changed my major. I was told that maybe I should go back and try to raise my GPA, but the school I went to is costly and I'll already will be 26 in December. If I were to go to another school it could take about 2-3 years for another degree so I'm thinking of going the enlisted route, but I am not sure what to expect if I try to go the enlisted route and would like any advice someone could give. Thank you for your time.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Sorry I'm not sure if this was the right area to post this question. I recently graduated from college with a B.S. degree in Political Science in May and wanted to join the military, but my Commulative GPA (a 2.5, but was originally a 3.0 before the Hurricanes hit Florida) is too low to become an officer. My in major GPA is actually very high since I changed my major. I was told that maybe I should go back and try to raise my GPA, but the school I went to is costly and I'll already will be 26 in December. If I were to go to another school it could take about 2-3 years for another degree so I'm thinking of going the enlisted route, but I am not sure what to expect if I try to go the enlisted route and would like any advice someone could give. Thank you for your time.

Who told you your GPA is to low? Is that from a recruiter? Is that written down somewhere? I don't know the answers to your question, but that is info is necessary to help others assess your situation.

The general advice around these parts is that it is NOT advisable to enlist with the intention of pursuing a commission. Your situation might be a little different. If you could give us some more details, we could probably help you out better.

Having said that try to search AW for some answers to your general questions. Then ask questions that aren't answered elsewhere and/or are unique to your situation.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Waving the BullshlT flag over here! Plenty of people commission with a GPA around yours.....the recruiter is lying to you....yes, flat out lying...DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT TO COME IN ENLISTED IF YOU HAVE A DEGREE!!!!!! IT IS HARDER TO GET A COMMISSION ONCE YOU ARE ENLISTED.....I dealt with a case IDENTICAL to yours and my candidate was not able to get a commission after he enlisted.

S.O.B.

pilot

Is this an enlisted or Officer Recruiter?

mastertae

It was an officer recruiter. I did not see any information on GPA requirements on the Navy's website, but I did read somewhere that it was possible to go enlisted first and than maybe a person can go for an officer, although looking at the numbers it seems rare.

mastertae

Thank you all for the help. The thing that confused me the most was when I talked to a recruiter in Miami he told me the 2.5 should be high enough to apply, but the recruiter in Jacksonville said my GPA was too low, which confused me, because I was being told two different things.

phrogpilot73

I had a 2.65 and commissioned. Had buddies that squeeked by with 2.0s and commissioned. Me thinks that whoever told you it was too low had already "made mission" and was more concerned about his tee-time.

It is a colossal pain in the butt to try and commission from the enlisted side if you're that old. The ECP order says that exceptionally well qualified recruits can go straight from boot camp to OCS. In practice that probably NEVER happens. I would say that if you're already 26 your chances of meeting the age deadlines for commissioning, especially if you want to be a pilot, are slim to none.
As the other posts have implied, whoever told you 2.5 was too low told you wrong. I know lots of officers with lower GPAs. If your local OSO won't help you, go to another one.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm going to OCS for pilot on the 29th of this month and I had a 2.55 GPA. I was also recruited through NRD Jacksonville. Somebody's pulling your leg man. Be persistant and don't take no for an answer.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
All good advice.

In strongest terms, at your age and with a BA/BS; do not enlist. Very unlikely you will be happy with the cards you will be dealt.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I had a 2.65 and commissioned. Had buddies that squeeked by with 2.0s and commissioned. Me thinks that whoever told you it was too low had already "made mission" and was more concerned about his tee-time.

To add to this, I graduated with a 2.4. You can see the results.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I have a 3.22 and got rejected for supply. So gpas are all over the board.