• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going Active from Reserves

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One more thing about retirement in general, I think that the DoD is eventually goign to move more towards the reserve/civil servant model of retirement vs the other way. It might not happen since it would be so hard fought but I am not sure of the 20 years and retire at 50% will survive in my lifetime, it is just costing so much.
But it is still good for civilian cops and fire fighters? How will it set with the military if the NCIS, Secret Service and Barney Fife get twenty and out? Sure it is expensive. Manning the best military in the world is going to cost you a dime or two. Given what we pay our enlisted folks, and the job they do, 50% at 20 years is just part of their deferred compensation for the previous 20 years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But it is still good for civilian cops and fire fighters? How will it set with the military if the NCIS, Secret Service and Barney Fife get twenty and out? Sure it is expensive. Manning the best military in the world is going to cost you a dime or two. Given what we pay our enlisted folks, and the job they do, 50% at 20 years is just part of their deferred compensation for the previous 20 years.

I am not sure I catch your point there, I was specifically talking about the federal civil service retirement (including federal law enforcement, though they get more) where your generally don't recieve your benefits until age 57. Reserve retirement being similar, having to wait until 60 for your benefits in most cases. I can see DoD moving to that model sooner or later, though the political cost would be great.

It is certainly not my idea, a form of it was proposed by a recent commission. But I think there is value in looking at it, especially with the rising cost to DoD. Benerfits don't have to be static, and sooner or later hard choices will have to be made. We can't afford it all, forever. That is a reality we are going to have to face sooner or later. Because the best paid military in the world ain't going to be able to do jack squat with crap equipment.

And while we ask a lot of all our servicemembers, not just enlisted, I believe the compensation is pretty fair overall. And that includes enlisted. When you include the retirement, it is better than 99.5% of what they could get elsewhere. If one is that concerned about compensation all branches give their enlisted plenty of oppotunity to move up, including to the officer ranks.

Just because it is, doesn't mean it has to be.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
I am unfamiliar with those acronyms, could you explain a bit more please?

A SELRES (Selected Reserve) is the traditional "weekend warrior," historically one weekend a month and 12 to 17 days of active duty per year. Most guys do a bit more; some do lots more.

FTS (Full Time Support) is a term that describes personnel who are primarily focused on administering, managing, and training reservists and reserve programs. But again, things have changed considerably. While many work in Reserve Centers or at Reserve Squadrons providing day-to-day continuity, a growing number work on major Active Duty staffs (Second Fleet, U.S. Fleet Forces, Joint Forces Command, etc) as the Reserve Liaison Officer to the staff. Many also are assigned to active ships and squadrons and deploy with the rest of the unit.

A SELRES can request to transition to FTS, just like an Active Duty guy can and they have selection boards annually.

Sometimes the only way to tell the difference is comparing designators. An active duty Naval Aviator will have designator 1310; a SelRes will have 1315; and an FTS will be 1317. A SelRes retains the XXX5 designator, even if mobilized or recalled to active duty, unless he / she actually petitions to accept an active duty commission again.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Do the FTS guys in a VT squadron work the same as SELRES guys? Do FTS guys just fly 2-3 hops a day and have no other related duties like STUCON, safety, etc.?

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
A SELRES (Selected Reserve) is the traditional "weekend warrior," historically one weekend a month and 12 to 17 days of active duty per year. Most guys do a bit more; some do lots more.

FTS (Full Time Support) is a term that describes personnel who are primarily focused on administering, managing, and training reservists and reserve programs. But again, things have changed considerably. While many work in Reserve Centers or at Reserve Squadrons providing day-to-day continuity, a growing number work on major Active Duty staffs (Second Fleet, U.S. Fleet Forces, Joint Forces Command, etc) as the Reserve Liaison Officer to the staff. Many also are assigned to active ships and squadrons and deploy with the rest of the unit.

A SELRES can request to transition to FTS, just like an Active Duty guy can and they have selection boards annually.

Sometimes the only way to tell the difference is comparing designators. An active duty Naval Aviator will have designator 1310; a SelRes will have 1315; and an FTS will be 1317. A SelRes retains the XXX5 designator, even if mobilized or recalled to active duty, unless he / she actually petitions to accept an active duty commission again.
Thank you for the info. This could be a good option and way to go active duty then.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Went active duty to reserves to active duty. Retired with 20 years of active duty.

I now collect a retired paycheck the first of every month since age 45.

It is possible.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Went active duty to reserves to active duty. Retired with 20 years of active duty.

I now collect a retired paycheck the first of every month since age 45.

It is possible.
What about starting from Reserves then going Active? I am a non-prior.