• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Go Gators!!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Umm, it is Pac10 v Big10 this year...

Only by chance. My point is it isn't always anymore. Had USC won it would have been Florida v Michigan.

And if I count right, in the past 5 years, 6 of the teams in the bowl have come from other conferences.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
This is true. I doubt ANYONE likes the system we have now.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Only by chance. My point is it isn't always anymore. Had USC won it would have been Florida v Michigan.

It actually would have been Michigan vs. LSU. Florida would have gone to the Sugar Bowl as the SEC champ. I actually like that the BCS brought back conference ties as the default, with the No. 1 and No. 2 team playing for the championship.

This is true. I doubt ANYONE likes the system we have now.

Sacraficing the Big Ten champ vs. Pac-10 champ was a necessary evil to at least try to match No.1 vs No. 2. In fact, if the BCS had come about a few years earlier, it would 've had a much better track record.

Case in point:

1994 - Undefeated Penn State would have played undefeated Nebraska. Instead, No. 2 Penn State beat No. 12 Oregon in the Rose Bowl, while No. 1 Nebraska beat No. 3 Miami in the Orange Bowl.

1996 - Undefeated No. 2 Arizona State loses to No. 4 Ohio State in the Rose Bowl, while undefeated No. 1 Florida State loses to No. 3 Florida in the Sugar Bowl.

1997 - Undefeated No. 1 Michigan beats No. 7 Washington State in the Rose Bowl, Undefeated No. 2 Nebraska beats No. 3 Tennessee in the Orange Bowl.

The BCS was implemented in 1998, finally bringing the Pac-10 and Big Ten into the fold.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Nobody really wanted to see an OSU-UM rematch. What would be the point of replaying a game that had been played just a few weeks before?

Well, thats how Florida managed to win their only national championship. :icon_rage

Cate

Pretty much invincible
You mean the Rose Bowl, right?
315737348_ac6de6242f.jpg

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well, thats how Florida managed to win their only national championship. :icon_rage

Again...they got a rematch because No. 2 (and undefeated) Arizona State was bound to the Rose Bowl as the Pac-10 champ...had the BCS been in place, we would have seen Florida State vs. Arizona State in the Sugar Bowl.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
So is it going to be considered a knock on the BCS if Florida gets blown out? Or will that still be the right game?

a_m

None
So is it going to be considered a knock on the BCS if Florida gets blown out? Or will that still be the right game?

The only people who think UF is going to get blown out are UM fans.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The only people who think UF is going to get blown out are UM fans.

Not even a little true. Florida is going to get eaten alive...sorry Gator fans...I'd like to see someone beat OSU...but it ain't going to be this year.

a_m

None
Not even a little true. Florida is going to get eaten alive...sorry Gator fans...I'd like to see someone beat OSU...but it ain't going to be this year.

Everyone is ready to throw Uf out right now, huh. Well, they will still play and I still think it's pretty even.