• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gifts for winging ceremony

Pags

N/A
pilot
One more vote on the 14K gold wings. If I'd had them then I probably would have worn them all the time though.
Agree. I never had real gold wings but if I did I would have worn them. I just didn't wear service or dress uniforms very often so the opportunities would have been limited. My impression is that folks in the fleet wear service uniforms even less these days. But still a super classy gift that I certainly would have appreciated at a winging and throughout my career.

Mauzy

What? I was supposed to get a gift? I think my family missed the memo on that one.

My vote goes to real 14K gold wings (which I had to buy myself! :mad:) with their name engraved on the back.

flywings.com has them for about $700, but as suggested, you might call a few jewelers.
Thank you so much. The gentleman at flywings was very nice and so helpful. He said he flew for the Navy for 27 years, and answered my questions. I ordered them, and am really looking forward to receiving them. I hope our grandson is as happy as I think he will be. Thanks go to everyone for all the ideas. Christmas is coming, too. :)

Mauzy

Agree. I never had real gold wings but if I did I would have worn them. I just didn't wear service or dress uniforms very often so the opportunities would have been limited. My impression is that folks in the fleet wear service uniforms even less these days. But still a super classy gift that I certainly would have appreciated at a winging and throughout my career.
The gentleman at flywings said he wore his with every uniform except his flight suit. I think our grandson will probably wear his most of the time, too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think you got a great gift. My parents got me a set when I winged and other than one time when I was in uniform on Shore Patrol, I always wore them when I had to be in a uniform other than my flight suit.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What? I was supposed to get a gift? I think my family missed the memo on that one.

OP, Congratulations! I'm sure you must be very proud! To be honest, just like @Rockriver, I don't remember receiving any gifts, but I do remember who showed up and that meant a lot!

Which is a HUGE cultural issue. JO's should be in a service uniform EVERYDAY in my opinion !!!!
:mad:
You've just triggered all the JOs on this board.
We're all just following the example set for us by leadership. :D

robav8r

None
Contributor
OP, Congratulations! I'm sure you must be very proud! To be honest, just like @Rockriver, I don't remember receiving any gifts, but I do remember who showed up and that meant a lot!

Typical Millenial response. Blame the generation that achieved all the real success and made it possible for you to enjoy the trappings of modern day, Naval Aviation . . . .
?

Mauzy

We have our reservations and we will definitely be there. We wouldn't miss this for the world. He told his parents that this is the most important thing he has ever done, and he wants us all there. It's been a long time coming, and a lot of work for him. All of the us will be there.

Rockriver

pilot
The gentleman at flywings said he wore his with every uniform except his flight suit. I think our grandson will probably wear his most of the time, too.

I also wore mine daily (when I wasn’t in a flight suit), and nowadays they are proudly mounted in a shadow box along will ribbons and shoulder boards in my study for all to see (whether they want to or not). He will undoubtedly cherish these forever and will remember who gave them to him. Classy gift, Grandma!

Last edited:

Mauzy

I also wore mine daily (when I wasn’t in a flight suit), and nowadays they are proudly mounted in a shadow box along will ribbons and shoulder boards in my study for all to see (whether they want to or not). He will undoubtedly cherish these forever and will remember who gave them to him. Classy gift, Grandma!
Thank you, We wanted to give him something to remember us by, and I think he will be so proud of them long after we are gone.