• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill and dependents

robav8r

None
Contributor
Do you remember how much your son (you) received for his food and housing?
Yeah, actually I paid food and housing from a Florida Pre-Paid College fund I had built up in case the GI Bill transfer wasn't available. His total tuition bill was ~ 28K annually, his total bill overall was ~ $40K annually (Norwich University). Because we weren't Vermont state residents (living in Florida at the time), the Yellow Ribbon program made up the delta between what the GI Bill paid for tuition, and what was actually owed.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The veterans services office already responded to me so great call @Bergers2short, the assistant director gave me some tips and direction, the one thing I need to clarify is if the dependents get full BAH or partial, it just seems odd they would get full BAH but maybe that is me being skeptical of a good thing, any money helps and the plan is to save that extra BAH to pay for the tuition when it runs out, both are transfer students from a CC so in theory they both have 2 years left.
They get full BAH prorated for the length of the semester. No BAH when classes are not in session. The cash technically goes to them, not you, but I set up a joint account and set aside the BAH to pay for the next semesters room and board.

villo0692

Thanks for the info on the Edith Nourse scholarship, as it turns out one of daughters is going for a degree in Biology so we will keep that in our back pocket.

Do you know if dependents utilizing transfer GI Bill get full BAH?
Yes, absolutely, so long its transferred and you got the paperwork for it, is just like if you were using it...you get it even if they live on campus (granted, you’d have to pay that out of the BAH money you’d get)

exNavyOffRec

They get full BAH prorated for the length of the semester. No BAH when classes are not in session. The cash technically goes to them, not you, but I set up a joint account and set aside the BAH to pay for the next semesters room and board.
That was what we are thinking along the lines of save up for their expenses, but some aside for when the GI Bill runs out, basically have it go into a savings account, the nice thing is we have a small education IRA for them as well that will take care of another 1.5 quarters of tuition when that runs out.

All I know is they better remember this when I get old or when their little sister needs help with her classes!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That was what we are thinking along the lines of save up for their expenses, but some aside for when the GI Bill runs out, basically have it go into a savings account, the nice thing is we have a small education IRA for them as well that will take care of another 1.5 quarters of tuition when that runs out.

All I know is they better remember this when I get old or when their little sister needs help with her classes!
Kids...who knew they’d be so expensive?