• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill and dependents

exNavyOffRec

I have a question for those that have transferred GI Bill benefits to their kids, how much did they receive for books, housing, and tuition? My kids will start using it in the fall and we are trying to stretch this as far as possible.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish I could help, but my oldest used the post-911 GI bill some 10 years ago and I know they’ve changed some of the pay-outs and rules. At the time, my daughter had enough money to cover private college (SCAD) at about 40k a year for 3 years with some left over from saving to cover some of her 4th year.

found this: “The Post-9/11 GI Bill can pay your full tuition & fees at school, provide you with a monthly housing allowance while you are going to school, and give you up to $1,000 a year to use for books and supplies.”

exNavyOffRec

I wish I could help, but my oldest used the post-911 GI bill some 10 years ago and I know they’ve changed some of the pay-outs and rules. At the time, my daughter had enough money to cover private college (SCAD) at about 40k a year for 3 years with some left over from saving to cover some of her 4th year.

found this: “The Post-9/11 GI Bill can pay your full tuition & fees at school, provide you with a monthly housing allowance while you are going to school, and give you up to $1,000 a year to use for books and supplies.”
I found that as well, some of what I have found is vague as to if it only applies to veterans or if it applies to dependents, 2 kids going to UW at the same time will not be cheap!

Bergers2short

None
2 kids going to UW at the same time will not be cheap!

See if you can get in touch with UW's veteran group--it might be a physical student-veteran center, Student Veteran Association, or named something else. If it's anything like mine was, there will be student veterans there who will be more than happy to talk you through planning things out for maximum benefits. I've also seen most student-vet centers open to dependent's too.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The GI Bill will cover 100% of IN STATE tuition and fees. Some states have set up deal where out of state students will get in-state tuition if they are using the GI Bill...check first. If the kiddies are heading to private university then they will get the equal of state tuition knocked off their bill. The last bit, books and living, is through a monthly payment equal to the BAS for an E-5 with dependents...NOTE...BAS is for school’s zip, not your home.

Other notes...

1. Make sure you have your certificate of eligibility ready before school starts.

2. BAS is only for in-school dates. It is pro-rated even then. Example...if school starts on September 15, on October 1 your kid will get 15 days BAS. This even happens over holiday breaks like the one between fall and spring semesters.

3. GI Bill has a maximum payment so see if your school has a “Yellow Ribbon” program to cover the difference, many do.

4. Online school only pays half the amounts above! Take at least one on campus course to avoid this!

exNavyOffRec

The GI Bill will cover 100% of IN STATE tuition and fees. Some states have set up deal where out of state students will get in-state tuition if they are using the GI Bill...check first. If the kiddies are heading to private university then they will get the equal of state tuition knocked off their bill. The last bit, books and living, is through a monthly payment equal to the BAS for an E-5 with dependents...NOTE...BAS is for school’s zip, not your home.

Other notes...

1. Make sure you have your certificate of eligibility ready before school starts.

2. BAS is only for in-school dates. It is pro-rated even then. Example...if school starts on September 15, on October 1 your kid will get 15 days BAS. This even happens over holiday breaks like the one between fall and spring semesters.

3. GI Bill has a maximum payment so see if your school has a “Yellow Ribbon” program to cover the difference, many do.

4. Online school only pays half the amounts above! Take at least one on campus course to avoid this!

I have the certificate for the kids to fill out and good info on BAS. I will check on yellow ribbon, but I do believe the amount will be close either way.

Not sure what they will do in the fall, right now UW has very limited in person classes due to COVID, I figure it they are finding a way to do classes with labs via Zoom then UW might not be in a rush to get students back on campus.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I have the certificate for the kids to fill out and good info on BAS. I will check on yellow ribbon, but I do believe the amount will be close either way.

Not sure what they will do in the fall, right now UW has very limited in person classes due to COVID, I figure it they are finding a way to do classes with labs via Zoom then UW might not be in a rush to get students back on campus.
I believe...and make sure to backstop me on this...but the current/short-term rules allow for online classes as if they are regular classes because...COVID!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Are you “W” as in Washington, Wisconsin or Wyoming? If Washington, they have some fantastic veteran/veteran family benefits, make sure to research them.

exNavyOffRec

I believe...and make sure to backstop me on this...but the current/short-term rules allow for online classes as if they are regular classes because...COVID!
I found a contact for veterans office at UW after @Bergers2short recommendation, I am going to reach out to them to get all our ducks in a row.

W as in Washington, yes they have good deals on parks and such, and it looks like the veterans office is very organized bonus there.

villo0692

I have a question for those that have transferred GI Bill benefits to their kids, how much did they receive for books, housing, and tuition? My kids will start using it in the fall and we are trying to stretch this as far as possible.
I worked for the VA education office for a couple years while in school.....
as far as tuition goes, if the school is public, they should get the entirety of their tuition paid of as long as they are full time (typically at least 12 credits for undergrad and 9 for masters, but a specific program might have different rules of what's considered full time, and med school has different rules). They should be getting BAH apar with the zip code of THE SCHOOL, some veterans always got this wrong, telling me they were living la vida loca in Miami while going to school in Boca Raton....and like someone said it before, it is prorated, meaning if classes start Jan 15, then they will only be getting about half of BAH for that month. Usually for one to get full BAH they would need to take at least one course in person, but ever since covid, one can take all the coursework online and get full housing. as far as books go, the way I understood it, you get up to 1000 bucks a year given that you take the 12 credits per the fall and spring terms (500 each), but if one takes 18 credits in one of those terms for instance, you might get more money for that term, and then get the rest of the other term. if you are trying to split your GI Bill between more than one of your kids, the best way ito stretch it as much as possible is for them to take as many classes as they can handle....the GI BIll runs out of time, not out of credits...meaning that, if you take 12 credits in one term, vs 18 credits in that same term.....you lose the same amount of time out of it...so you gotta be smart about it. There are private schools with the yellow ribbon program, for which they could get approved the same benefits as in a public school. make sure to have their Certificate of Eligibility ready to go, it often takes the VA a month to mail that thing, and most certifying officials won't get the ball rolling without it.. However, if they were to start classes, and not be certified, they can still start, get certified later and get retroactively paid. Tuition money goes directly to the school, and in case that they are not certified, the certifying official in the school should be able to submit a deferment to the controller's office for them not to get dropped out of classes due to lack of payment....also, any money you pay directly to the school for tuition should be reimbursed to you once the VA wire kicks in.

hope this helps

villo0692

more stuff that came to mind....be careful with dropping classes, if they are getting full BAH and they drop a class, and this puts them under full time, they will have to pay back the VA for that class, as well as give back a good amount of the housing money they have been getting (say they fall to 3/4 full time, they might be only awarded 3/4 of BAH, meaning they have to pay back from whatever they've gotten)....this does NOT apply if they fail the class

for STEM majors there is the Edith Nurse (something like that) STEM extension which awards I believe an extra 12 months of GI Bill to the recipient.....one can only apply as undergrad and only after their full benefits have been depleted ( I used this)

also, even if you have one day left in your GI BILL, you will still be awarded the full semester of benefits, both in tuition and BAH (Happened to me too)

exNavyOffRec

The veterans services office already responded to me so great call @Bergers2short, the assistant director gave me some tips and direction, the one thing I need to clarify is if the dependents get full BAH or partial, it just seems odd they would get full BAH but maybe that is me being skeptical of a good thing, any money helps and the plan is to save that extra BAH to pay for the tuition when it runs out, both are transfer students from a CC so in theory they both have 2 years left.

exNavyOffRec

more stuff that came to mind....be careful with dropping classes, if they are getting full BAH and they drop a class, and this puts them under full time, they will have to pay back the VA for that class, as well as give back a good amount of the housing money they have been getting (say they fall to 3/4 full time, they might be only awarded 3/4 of BAH, meaning they have to pay back from whatever they've gotten)....this does NOT apply if they fail the class

for STEM majors there is the Edith Nurse (something like that) STEM extension which awards I believe an extra 12 months of GI Bill to the recipient.....one can only apply as undergrad and only after their full benefits have been depleted ( I used this)

also, even if you have one day left in your GI BILL, you will still be awarded the full semester of benefits, both in tuition and BAH (Happened to me too)
Thanks for the info on the Edith Nourse scholarship, as it turns out one of daughters is going for a degree in Biology so we will keep that in our back pocket.

Do you know if dependents utilizing transfer GI Bill get full BAH?