• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ghosts of training past.

Python

pilot
Contributor
^
I'd actually like to go on the DET. All I need are two fams and then through BIs (which are also fairly compressed). Can't they just give me that so I can go with you guys?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I know it's waaaaayyy different now, but started Primary - 29 APR 76, last flight - 02 JUN 76. This was back when we started flying at NAS Saufley before actually being commissioned. Winged - 22 JUL 77. Last flight A-7 RAG - 18 MAR 78. First flight fleet squadron VA-86, on cruise - 01 MAR 78. Made LTJG - 01 JUN 78.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^^Also, there are people in my same class that are not accelerated and haven't had Fam-0 yet. They will be contenders for the record even more than I am.

FWIW the accelerated program doesn't save much time. You may skip a couple fams and contacts but beyond that, they pretty much have you do everything else. HighDimension and I rocked RI's and they still didn't have us skip anything, and it goes without saying that it wouldn't apply to PA's/Forms

Python

pilot
Contributor
FWIW the accelerated program doesn't save much time. You may skip a couple fams and contacts but beyond that, they pretty much have you do everything else. HighDimension and I rocked RI's and they still didn't have us skip anything, and it goes without saying that it wouldn't apply to PA's/Forms

Things must've have been different then. There are 9 contacts prior to the checkride vice 12. BI sims can theoretically be done in 2 flights (more likely 3). One BI flight is cut. PAs/Forms are the same. And I was shown what they are cutting out of RIs (a bunch of stuff, but I don't remember exactly). I didn't want to be accelerated, but they are enforcing it really hard on me, so I'll suck it up and work my ass off.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Things must've have been different then. There are 9 contacts prior to the checkride vice 12. BI sims can theoretically be done in 2 flights (more likely 3). One BI flight is cut. PAs/Forms are the same. And I was shown what they are cutting out of RIs (a bunch of stuff, but I don't remember exactly). I didn't want to be accelerated, but they are enforcing it really hard on me, so I'll suck it up and work my ass off.

Interesting, maybe they started to actually standardize the program a little bit more. I agree though, it is actually more painful at times than not......you really miss out on some experience with the accelerated program IMHO

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Dang...things have really slowed down. I just completed at VT-2 in September after about 5 and 1/2 months.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Back when I went thru (Started Primary Oct 94)

T-34s- 6 months
T-2s- 4 months and a week
A-4s- 6 months
S-3 Rag- 1 yr

However, Commission to Primary- 1 year and 6 months

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Checked in 3 OCT... joined the squadron 30NOV, don't have an on-wing yet..stand by to stand by

Phoenix1

Started VT-6 late '08, and if you take out the 16 day christmas break they gave us, I completed in 4 months and 12 days. Non-accelerated program. Whiting knows what they are doing, especially VT-6. Buddies in VT-2 were just as slow as corpus squadrons.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
6 is just as jacked as everyone else now. Buddy over there just got awarded a mando warmup for C40 block and it wasn't after BIs or med down etc. And everybody's mileage varies anyway. Everybody's line shack looks like an ER waiting room from time to time. Still though, nobody at Whiting can quite compare to the drag-assery that CC is experiencing.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It doesn't really have much to do with the squadrons. When it comes to the weather, it's cyclical. While Whiting is getting nailed with the daily summer thunderstorms and precip, Corpus is enjoying clear, boring weather days. In the winter when Whiting has beautiful (but cold) clear days, Corpus is socked in. In the end it pretty much balances out.

The real cause for the slowdown in Corpus? Airplanes. For a while we only had six or seven airplanes available between the two squadrons. Things have been slightly better recently, but ACNA is still the name of the game out here.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Yeah, it's not really the squadrons' blame. There have been beautiful clear days once or twice in December and on one of those days I was ACNA'd. On that particular day, there were only like 7 available planes for two squadrons with each squadron having 50+ events scheduled for the day. It also sucks getting caught up on warm-ups. You don't fly for a couple weeks due to aircraft issues and weather and by time everybody gets their warm-up flight, it's been several weeks and warm-ups are needed again.