• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting the billet...Questions

gramps09

New here. Right now I'm going into my 2/C year and I have just realized that I need to turn myself around here. I sort of got sidetracked and lost the past two years. Right now I have a 2.0 and I am in the comma club, and I want to fly. My thing is this, what do I need to shoot for to improve my chances for a aviation billet? I tried talking to some officers on the yard but they said its a different time now here. I want to follow in the footsteps of my father and grandfather but I need to know what you had when you got selected.
-Thanks
-Jared

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Well, the most obvious answer is work your butt off and get those grades up. That's the best thing you can do. Also, try and take on some leadership roles where ever and when ever you can. Also, try showing how serious you are about flying when you can. Talk to your company officer about it (or anyone else that will listen). If any aviation related opportunities come up, jump on them (whether its cruises, smt's or lectures). I know the aero department had some every now and then when I was there (you don't have to be an aero major). Good luck.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I wasn't exactly in your shoes but was definitely on the bottom half of the ladder at the boat school. The only thing I think that saved me was maxing out the ASTB and having a good interview. There's still time to make up for grades. No you don't have to be a Trident scholar, but just do the best job in your classes these next three semesters (not four, you select half-way through firstie year). There's still time, and your military performance can help alot too.

It's not going to be all the guys at the top of the OOM ladder that get aviation. They do pick people on the lower end of the ladder (like me) for exceptional performance in other areas (ASTB, interview, and military performance). It matters more than you think. Also, luck can play a role as well. When it came close to graduating, there were quite a few aviation selectees in my class that found out at the last minute that they were not medically qualified, and it opened up a few more slots for people that were next in line. Not only that, but a couple people started taking IFS and decided that it wasn't for them, thereby opening up a couple more slots. So there is still a chance. However, you really need to buckle down academics-wise. I know it sucks, but it's gonna be worth it in the end. Get extra help, talk to your profs, study in the library (you'll get nothing done in the hall, trust me), and always ask about EI in every class, even if you don't need it, it shows you care.

Good luck, any questions feel free to PM me.

gramps09

yeah. I think what happened is that at naps i picked up cynicism. The 1st semester i worked my ass off and got a 3.3 and then I started noticing the people around me and how they would barely do work and still get by. I dropped to a 1.0 at Christmas time and went to my first AC-board with my CO (side note: My CO at NAPS flew with my dad and partied with my parents) I picked it up and finished with a 2.95.

When I got to the academy I realized that the same thing and realized I had to deal with much more bullshit here. I had people younger than me yelling at me b/c I forgot condiments in my chow call. Condiments!. Anyways I would work my ass of the first two marking periods and then it would get FUBARed after 12 weeks not allowing me to catch up.

This past year I started as a mech major. There was a Statics "cheating" scandal where a teacher handed out study guide and later took it back. I went from a B to a D, even though I did admit to it that I used it to actually study from. I was in strengths and that didn't go well, I ended up failing because the final exam killed everybody, but still not an excuse. I ended up going to another AC advisory board and got switched into general which helped me out. I am right now taking Dynamics and so far have an A in it.

I have tried to do the Golden Hawk club but its like a ghost town as there is nobody there but it still "exists". I have been looking into getting some flight training in while I am here. I do have contacts but the flight doc i talked to said that I would be fine.

I think the thing I have to confront foremost is my academics, which I realized that if I am in the comma club is not going to help. I am going to take the ASTB on June 21st, which am studying for. My first sample test I got from Nimitz I got an 89% on.

Also another issue is the possible issues with the family if I go after pilot/nfo. My father was lost at sea when I was one so I am getting hesitation from my family from it. My dad flew A-7 Corsair II, while my grandfather flew F4 Corsairs in Korea. That does not mean I should be entitled to it but I think the dream of flying runs in my blood.

Sorry about the long rant and I think I could just ask how to prepare myself for the ASTB, so I can get a head start. Thank you

-jared from terrible ten

gramps09

Well fall semester I was in it. Its when your AOM, OOM, MOOM, are in the 1,000 thus the comma club. I have gotten out of it though. I am in 800-900 range. :( Need to get at least up to 500 to feel safe. They are cutting people left and right. Its weird, as they want us to do our best but when we exceed the minimum they still look to kick out people.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
They are cutting people left and right. Its weird, as they want us to do our best but when we exceed the minimum they still look to kick out people.

What are you talking about? The Academy is just randomly letting people go?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As long as you're not in the square root club...

Anyone???

H20man

Drill baby drill!
I find the differences between my school and the other academies very interesting. We seem to be the only federal school with a large setback system.

I believe the school is not actively looking to kick people out, but is becoming less forgiving, as the case seems to be at my school.

PanthroNFO

FOS like a Bo$$ :0/
None
Need to get at least up to 500 to feel safe.

Dawg, I think I was like 904 or something. I'm at VP-30 now getting ready to go to my squadron at the end of the summer. You'll be alright man, like everyone else said, rock out on the ASTB and get your self out there with chances at leadership and PRODEV stuff. I was in the comma club too bro (and also the square root for a while......I think my third AC Board finally woke me up), just don't stress it too much man or you'll go crazy. I know that upholding "family tradition" means alot, just don't let it kill you. Enjoy your time while your there and get the most out of it........I was in Ten when I was there too, but it wasn't "terrible ten" I guess a lot can change in 3 yrs. Feel free to PM me too if ya got any preguntas.

gramps09

What are you talking about? The Academy is just randomly letting people go?

Well this is what is going around the yard. The problem is that mids are doing better than expected and we are staying above the minimum, but there are not enough expected billets to go around so they have to cut people for bullshit excuses. My buddy got kicked out because he failed one course. He had a 2.6 but a MAPR from a course that he dropped was brought before the board and 80% of the time it was just about the MAPR. And it was a lil lop sided

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Well this is what is going around the yard. The problem is that mids are doing better than expected and we are staying above the minimum, but there are not enough expected billets to go around so they have to cut people for bullshit excuses. My buddy got kicked out because he failed one course. He had a 2.6 but a MAPR from a course that he dropped was brought before the board and 80% of the time it was just about the MAPR. .
That kind of talk seems like it should be private.