• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting sidetracked and in need of some form of direction

davidc1220

I strongly recommend the Army. The Air Guard path is going to take too long for your age and you may not get any traction from the Navy at this point. The Army is looking for pilots now.
I think that's the way its looking. I figured if the Navy wanted me they would've taken me the first time

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a former squadronmate who was dropped from Marine OCS and was subsequently selected for Navy OCS.
I had a bud who quit USNA without signing his 2 for 5 papers. Later went AOCS,. But he wasn't shown the door. He walked in good standing.

So, things do change. This from the CRUITMAN 1311.2G JUN 2018

020104. PREVIOUS DISENROLLMENT FROM PROGRAMS LEADING TO A COMMISSION

a. Previous disenrollment, either voluntary or involuntary, from a program leading to a commission in any branch of the military is not automatically disqualifying; disposition is dependent upon the designator.

b. Selection boards will not make a final decision on an applicant without first reviewing the reason for the disenrollment. Applicants must provide a written statement regarding the reasons for the disenrollment or furnish documentation deemed sufficient by the program manager(s) from all officer communities for which the individual wishes to apply.

c. Former USNA midshipmen and NROTC members of either the scholarship or college programs who have received pay entitlements, subsistence allowance, tuition, or fees under the provisions of these programs are eligible for Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC), but may not be placed on active duty until graduation.

Like mentioned. Guess it all depends how bad they need folks.

umijs

I figured, so would you say it's worth getting a PPL and then getting in contact with a guard unit
Yes. You could get in contact with them now but I wouldn't count on getting an interview. You could also go visit them and talk to them. If they like you enough they might set up an interview. You should also take the AFOQT and TBAS before visiting too.

But a PPL is definitely a must-have. The flight hours will also boost your PCSM way up. There are minimums thrown out there and I think for heavies it is a 70+ PCSM and for fighters it's 90+.

If you also want to go AD Air Force, a 60 PCSM is considered competitive. Checkout out reddit.com/r/airforceots its full of Guard, Reserve, and AD dudes who can give you more in-depth info

Last edited:

WorldWar33.3

Hey man, how many times have you taken the ASTB? It might not be the end-all be-all if you have another chance or two.

Edit: I saw you have one more chance. If you want to give the Navy another shot, then I recommend studying up and taking the ASTB again. If all else fails, you know where to go.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just a heads up, for Air Guard and AF Reserve units, having a PPL is an unspoken rule. Technically it’s not required but if you don’t want your app to get thrown out immediately you need a PPL.

I've conducted an MQ-9 hiring board, and sat on a combined A-10/KC-135 hiring board for my state. This is entirely untrue.

Why you get your app thrown out when you don't have a PPL is when your personal statement talks about how much you love flying and want to fly for a living and do nothing but eat, breath, and sleep flying- only to not have any flight time.

Every board I've been on has interviewed folks without a PPL. 2 of the 3 hired folks without their PPL.

PCSM scores can be important, but it's not what you think. A PPL *CAN* help (if it took you 100 hours to get your PPL, that's not going to help) but there are more important "unwritten" rules- like showing up to drill weekends and being a good person and getting along with the folks in the unit.

Last edited:

umijs

Every board I've been on has interviewed folks without a PPL. 2 of the 3 hired folks without their PPL
Interesting. I suppose every unit is different but from what I have been told by the unit I visited was that a PPL is pretty much a requirement now. I've even been told a couple of times that sometimes a PPL isn't enough and being instrument rated is preferred.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. I suppose every unit is different but from what I have been told by the unit I visited was that a PPL is pretty much a requirement now. I've even been told a couple of times that sometimes a PPL isn't enough and being instrument rated is preferred.
That is the thing about Guard Units, you can see real local influences. In the late 80s my state's Army Guard offered off the street WOFT to about 6 guys a year who, with a PPL and Instrument rating, got to skip certain classes down at Rucker shortening the course by a few weeks.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That is the thing about Guard Units, you can see real local influences. In the late 80s my state's Army Guard offered off the street WOFT to about 6 guys a year who, with a PPL and Instrument rating, got to skip certain classes down at Rucker shortening the course by a few weeks.
At one point the Army Guard had a “civilian acquired skills” aviation program. If you had CPL (helicopter) you could join a unit, train up on type locally, and get winged without ever visiting Rucker!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Well, we also tell folks that It really helps to be an enlisted airman from within the unit too. We've hired a good amount of intel, enlisted aircrew, and crew chiefs, into the pilots ranks.

You're asking for an easy way to set yourself apart. I can't tell you what others units have done, I can only tell you what mine, and my state, has done. The local squadron commanders are the hiring authority for pilots. They set the tone for who they want hired based on the need of the unit.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This is unfortunately true. It's taking us more than a year to get someone to TFOT from off the street. The ANG is... slow
Just out of curiosity, what does a unit do with a person who has (rushed) been hired until a slot opens at TFOT? (Please tell me “wash planes” or something like that!)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, what does a unit do with a person who has (rushed) been hired until a slot opens at TFOT? (Please tell me “wash planes” or something like that!)
If we can get them into a temporary technician or a title 5 job we do that- even a low level GS job is better than nothing. If they're military and already on active duty orders somewhere we work out with their home unit for them to keep their current job until they leave for TFOT. Or, if they're aircrew, they can come use their drills and AFTPs and AT with us.

If those aren't available there are some guys who have some pull with some local companies to get these guys jobs on the outside while they're waiting.

It's a pretty frustrating time- no one is happy with the amount of waiting, and pretty much every ANG unit is beating on the door of NGB to get us a way to fix this. We do have one guy who is using the time this summer to backpack the Appalachian Trail from start to finish, non stop.

The one nice thing is that once they are in the door they're on the clock, and we have orders and hotels and travel and per diem for them.

PMPT

Just a heads up, for Air Guard and AF Reserve units, having a PPL is an unspoken rule. Technically it’s not required but if you don’t want your app to get thrown out immediately you need a PPL.
if not the cloud card too. the competition is fierce these days, from what I hear from folks