• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting PPL

WEGL

I'm in A-pool right now and plan on going ahead and getting my PPL while I wait. I've been looking around but haven't been able to find much info on flight training in the local area.
Does anyone know of a cheap place to log some hours here in P'cola? Thanks

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Sure, Whiting Field has flight hours for pretty cheap, I hear.

Seriously, the only two reasons I would see for trying to get a PPL is that you just enjoy the flying (and have the money) or you want to try and get ahead for primary.

For getting ahead, I don't know how much I'd put into trying to get a PPL. The flying in the Navy is completely different than the civ version. You'll just have to relearn most of it. The only way I could see civ flying helping would be if you have instrument time, not just regular VFR type flying.

If you just want to do it for having fun, just realize you'll be relearning a good bit once you get into the Navy pipeline.

MasterBates

Go the beach, get wasted. Take a nap, got to Sammy's, get wasted.

Repeat until winged. Then change location to where your RAG is.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in A-pool right now and plan on going ahead and getting my PPL while I wait. I've been looking around but haven't been able to find much info on flight training in the local area.
Does anyone know of a cheap place to log some hours here in P'cola? Thanks
There's a Navy Flying Club right on Pensacola Regional Airport. Can't beat the hourly rates for either the plane or the instructor. Are you going to be a pilot or NFO? If pilot, I really wouldn't worry about getting your PPL. Go flying, have a blast, learn a few things, and then go eat all-you-can-eat crab legs down at P-cola beach. If NFO, well, go rack up some hours....live the dream.

steeleshark2

None
There's a Navy Flying Club right on Pensacola Regional Airport. Can't beat the hourly rates for either the plane or the instructor. Are you going to be a pilot or NFO? If pilot, I really wouldn't worry about getting your PPL. Go flying, have a blast, learn a few things, and then go eat all-you-can-eat crab legs down at P-cola beach. If NFO, well, go rack up some hours....live the dream.
I cannot find any info about a Pensacola Navy flying club anywhere.

phrogpilot73

Go the beach, get wasted. Take a nap, got to Sammy's, get wasted.

Repeat until winged. Then change location to where your RAG is.
Best advice you could give the young man, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Of course, I would choose Babes over Sammy's (only because we were regulars there). Remember young man, when you hit the fleet, you'll never have an opportunity to enjoy the pure pleasures of flight school again. It's fast and furious here...

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Best advice you could give the young man, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Of course, I would choose Babes over Sammy's (only because we were regulars there). Remember young man, when you hit the fleet, you'll never have an opportunity to enjoy the pure pleasures of flight school again. It's fast and furious here...

Well then... I'm in for a treat. I thought API was okay, but primary really sucked.

That being the case, I concur with the above advice. Go out and have fun while waiting for class-up. It's all time you wish you could get back and never ever will, so take advantage.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Very well said. It's been over 25 years since I was in flight school and I still think those days were the best ever. No real job, just fly airplanes and hang out on the beach, and get paid for doing it.

After flight school and the RAG, a fleet squadron is a real shock.

WEGL

Thanks for eveyone's responses, and don't worry I plan to enjoy my time in A-pool. But I figured since I have the time and money to do it, why not.
1. I love to fly and don't want to have to wait another 4 months before I fly again.
2. I've already got the free 25 hrs from IFS, so it shouldn't cost too much dough to finish up my ppl.
3. I want jets, so I want the best advantage possible going into primary.
4. I didn't get a lot of practice operating around controlled fields during IFS and want to get that experience.
5. What else am I going to do for the next 3 months? I can't go to Babes every night.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
3. I want jets, so I want the best advantage possible going into primary.

If this is really important too you...I would reccomend getting started on your instrument rating. Nothing in the PPL process that you didn't get in IFS will help you more than this.

KSUFLY

pilot
The biggest thing that will help you out is establishing your SA. This takes time. It takes time to understand the big picture and to "see" everything that is going on around you. The thing that helped me the most to gain my SA in the civilian world was my instrument ticket. And when it came to primary, SA helped me the more than anything in the contact, PA, form, and instrument stages. It's amazing how much better you can fly and think when you don't have to figure out where you are or where you'll be in 1 min, 3 min, or 10 min. Also, you can focus on other things in the plane when you've gained your SA and it comes as second nature. If you have the chance to get your instrument rating and you can get a good instructor, I'd recommend going for it. Good Luck!!!