• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Highdimension, you're really stretching it, and I don't think even you believe that this guy is in one of those situations. Stop playing know it all college boy.

2+2 = 4 no matter who is saying it. The truth is the truth whether it comes from me, or a college student.

Brett

zarra182

wow, I ask a question about finding a date i could have off. I dont really care if "Brett" thinks it is a bad idea. If i wanted an anwser on if i should get married i would have asked. I know that it is a hard road ahead. Most marriages have struggles. So for the record nobody on here is going to change my mind about getting married. But if you do have some advice on how to find a date i would love the help

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
wow, I ask a question about finding a date i could have off. I dont really care if "Brett" thinks it is a bad idea. If i wanted an anwser on if i should get married i would have asked. I know that it is a hard road ahead. Most marriages have struggles. So for the record nobody on here is going to change my mind about getting married. But if you do have some advice on how to find a date i would love the help

Okay, now I'm confused.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
I am not recommending it to him, he is already engaged. Usually if you get engaged you plan a wedding and get married. The guy didn't ask if he should get married, he asked when he could plan a wedding. You are not going to change his mind with your comments, so how about you just answer his question or don't answer. I am the first to agree that he at least should be telling his future wife what to expect. It is definitely a tough and different kind of lifestyle. But there are many of us that do it.

Not to pile on or make light of your point, but to Clarify, I think that you are missing Brett's. You haven't "done" what Brett is talking about. Your husband is a flight student. He hasn't been to a squadron/deployed yet. You are still in the artificial world where his day is fly and come home. In a couple of years get back to us (post deployment, etc) and I bet you have a better idea of why Brett and others caution against rushing to get married at the start of a career as an aviator. Your husband (and you) have no real idea what lies ahead, you can say that you are ready and you know it is going to be hard, blah, blah blah, but you will understand when you have been there. You are burning on a youngster for talking about something that he doesn't have any experience with, but you are also dangerously close to the same thing. Brett's is only referring to the trials of married life in a situation that neither one of you has any concept of. Does it work out for people? Sure...about half the time. That being said, it is a personal choice, so good luck and enjoy.

Now, to answer the original question...from the perspective of a former Student control officer the best bet is to plan on something while in between OCS and API or in A-pool. In order to ensure the best possibility for success, plan on something (A) small and easy to shift as dates shift, and (B) close by with not a lot of moving parts, for the same reasons. DO NOT try to plan on doing it once you start primary through the time that you get your wings, and do not plan on/buy tickets etc for a honeymoon until you are through OCS, checked in to API and have your dates set. It is very difficult for things to roll consistently enough while in training for you to be able to plan on getting time off outside of maybe a Friday night to Monday morning thing. Everything is case by case dependant and I believe that I have addressed some of this in other threads, but believe me when I tell you that as much as the STUCON office will try to accomodate you, your job once you start training is training, and your personal stuff comes second on a "not to interfere" basis. Sounds harsh, but this is the reality of what we do and best to get an early start to getting used to planning your personal business around the needs of the Navy. In summary, plan on a wedding as discussed, and plan smart so that you can flex and make changes when "what is happening now" changes. No one can predict what the wait will be from OCS to API start up, and no one can predict if you will get the 30 days or not. If you are going to be a winter OCS, that makes you a summer/Late spring Primary ascesion. That is "squadron ramp up" time, where they shove as many students into/out of the pipeline as they can when the weather is better to make production requirements for the year, so the wait times and leave opportunities will generally be less. It will be difficult for you since you are trying to plan for a date when you are not even out of OCS yet, so like I said, make a reasonable plan, but plan smart and flexible. Good luck!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zarra182, I think you've found all answers you're going to get. I'm closing this thread. If any other mod really wants to re-open it, go ahead. If you have something else to add that isn't related, start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.