• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting married

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarra182

I just got engaged last week and i scheduled to go to OCS the first week in jan 07. I am trying to figure out when i will be able to have my wedding. I am a SNA so i should be in the first class i can be for flight school after i finish OCS. I was just wondering how long people are waiting from graduating from OCS and starting flight school? also how long is it between API and primary. IS it possible to ask them to schedule you in a class so you can be inbetween classes or not even have started on a certain date? and last question Is it possible to miss say a week in primary if you are not in a ground school?

Junior

pilot
If you schedule your wedding with good judgement you can probably work the dates you start up. I know some guys who had their primary start pushed back so they could get married. Getting a whole week off during primary is unlikely. Totally depends on the squadron; some will give you a Thursday and Friday off, some will give you no weekdays off. At any rate, if you do set a date for your wedding, make sure you tell whoever is in charge of you (flight leader, OIC of A-pool, etc.) as soon as possible. PM me if you have anything else.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Get married before you go to ocs, you will get paid more and scheduling it will be easier.

I'm pretty sure that you don't want to try to throw together a wedding in the next three months, otherwise you wouldn't be asking us this question. My advice would be to try to schedule something between OCS and API when you have your chance to take 30 days "delay en route" to move across the street. Either that, or immediately after API before you class up for primary. I knew a couple of guys who got married during primary, which is nice unless you want to go on a honeymoon. Primary is NOT the time to try to take leave. Let student control at API know that you are getting married because they'll try to keep you at Whiting (near P'Cola) for primary, which most of the married guys seem to like more.

One advisory: if you do try to schedule your wedding immediately after OCS, be aware that your finishing date is not set in stone. I broke my foot in the middle of OCS and ended up taking 6 months to complete the 13 week school.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Your best bet for a military wedding would be the Xmas/new year holiday. However, I know how important it is to some women to have time to plan the wedding they want, and I personally would not want to spend the first weeks of my marriage in OCS. Sounds about the next best thing to deploying right after your wedding.

It's all up to what you guys want, but I would plan it around a federal holiday and hope for a 3 day weekend. That's probably the best you can hope to get. You'll probably have to put off the honeymoon (but atleast you'll have more money when you do go).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get married before you go to ocs, you will get paid more and scheduling it will be easier.

Or, you could do the adult thing and wait a few years to make sure your spouse can handle the rigors of fleet/deployed life before you sign a contract which could ultimately make both of you miserable for the foreseeable future. Just throwing that out there. What's the rush?

Brett

Azdevil78

Wow, Brett that's not the question he asked. I hope to GOD you are not married. You have no idea how his life works, obviously he has found the woman he wants to spend his life with. Answer the question people ask, noone needs your negativity. Thanks!!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
flycastay3.jpg

Brett reels in another one.....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
flycastay3.jpg

Brett reels in another one.....

I knew someone would appreciate that. :D

Nope, you guys are right - I have no idea how life works. :rolleyes: Pot, meet kettle. Don't worry though, I'll be there to tell you "I told you so" after the divorce proceedings. :D

Brett

Kycntryboy

pilot
how easy is it to get the 30 days off between OCS and API for "enroute" moving

They are not letting people do it right now, You check into API the same day that you graduate to start your clock in A pool. You can take leave through API and if you are getting married I'm sure they'll have no problem giving you more than a week if you have the your leave days built up by then.

zarra182

when you say you can take leave through API do you mean during. that might sound dumb but i did not think it was possible to take time off during API.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I knew someone would appreciate that. :D

Nope, you guys are right - I have no idea how life works. :rolleyes: Pot, meet kettle. Don't worry though, I'll be there to tell you "I told you so" after the divorce proceedings. :D

Brett

Better yet, be there to comfort his ex-wife. :D

AnnieQ, you underestimate Brett's knowledges. You should listen to him and apply those knowledges to your own marriage. ;)

AnnieQ said:
You have no idea how his life works, obviously he has found the woman he wants to spend his life with.

You obviously know how the guy's life works. :sleep_125

Kycntryboy

pilot
when you say you can take leave through API do you mean during. that might sound dumb but i did not think it was possible to take time off during API.

You can take leave while your in A pool waiting to class up while you are under their command.

Status
Not open for further replies.