• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting married in ROTC?

KCRSXTypeS

Does ROTC have a policy that MIDN can't get married while in ROTC? I know the Academy doesn't allow it but my fiance and I may want to get married sooner than I graduate. So, does anyone know? If not then I can just ask the secretary on Monday.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
No, you can get married in NROTC whenever you want. But, regardless of when you do it, keep your command informed.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just curious:
Why do you want to get married before you graduate? (This coming from a guy who is getting married in the end of May, when the Fiance will be finished with her degree)

KCRSXTypeS

Just curious:
Why do you want to get married before you graduate? (This coming from a guy who is getting married in the end of May, when the Fiance will be finished with her degree)

I don't but there is a deal because she has a kid and cannot move out of state unless the father consents...and he refuses so I would have to go to flight school for 2-3 years by myself without her. That is, unless she fights for full custody and it would be easier to get full custody if she says "I have to move to Pens. with my HUSBAND" rather than "my FAINCE".

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I don't but there is a deal because she has a kid and cannot move out of state unless the father consents...and he refuses so I would have to go to flight school for 2-3 years by myself without her. That is, unless she fights for full custody and it would be easier to get full custody if she says "I have to move to Pens. with my HUSBAND" rather than "my FAINCE".

Stop right now. For the love of God do not do this.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Paging MB.

ASAP!!!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Does ROTC have a policy that MIDN can't get married while in ROTC? ....
You CAN DO IT ... but why??? I did it, and I lost my full-ride Navy scholarship and did the last two quarters out of my own pocket via the Contract Program ... but why would you if you didn't ..."have to" :)...???

I got a USNR commission out of NROTC as a result and it took a DNG to get a "regular" commission back. NOT WORTH IT!!

You can wait for the good things in life -- because, by definition, they're worth the wait.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

When you re-read this can you honestly say it is a good reason to get married? If so congratulations. :party_125:icon_zbee

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does ROTC have a policy that MIDN can't get married while in ROTC? I know the Academy doesn't allow it but my fiance and I may want to get married sooner than I graduate. So, does anyone know? If not then I can just ask the secretary on Monday.

I would advise waiting, if both of you really love each other then waiting will not be an issue in the long run. And though I do not know your full story, the kid makes my warning gear to go off right away. It seems a bit rash to get married just so she can live near you and/or be supported by you. There will be plenty of time that you will be apart from your loved ones in the service, think of it as a test run for that.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Stop right now. For the love of God do not do this.

What he said. Full break X. This has disaster written all over it. Settle the custody gig first, then make an honest decision with no strings attached. Maybe it'll be the same choice, ........but it might not..... and you'll get full body shudders every time you think about this 10 years from now.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Do not get married for reasons OTHER than being in love (debatable, I know Brett and MB). Don't get married to settle some "kid custody" issues... DISASTER! On top of all of this, why the hell would you get married in college?? I never understand this! Marriage (traditionally, yes I know religion plays a part) is about transferring the bride from her parents household into her husbands household and starting a family. If both of you are sucking off the teat of mommy and daddy (unless you support yourselves) and are still in school and not on your own, what the hell is the point of marriage? Just wait until you have a real job and support yourselves to get hitched!

B

Blutonski816

Paging MB.

ASAP!!!!

I actually said, "OH, Sh!t" out loud when I read that post.

but i all seriousness this is gonna get messy...

My $0.02: a girl with kid(s) (and an inevitable ex-husband/baby-daddy), is not for the faint of heart. If you both love eachother, you'll be able to figure out this mess, particularly the custody business... and all the hardship to get there will be worth it...
Had a similar experience myself recently (the price I pay for having a taste in older women) although we admittedly did not get to the point where dealing with the custody of kids post-college became an issue, didn't end too well for me, although that relationship ended for non-kid-related issues...

But I still echo the sentiments of the above posts...
Don't do it just yet!!

LivinMyDream

pilot
I did it, and I lost my full-ride Navy scholarship and did the last two quarters out of my own pocket via the Contract Program ...

That sucks for you, but there were guys in my unit who got married while under contract and on scholarship, and they didn't lose it. There is no stipulation that says MIDN are not allowed to get married (unless we're talking about USNA MIDN).

With that said, marraige is a big deal and if you have a kid, a whole lotta shit to deal with while in flight school. I would use Air Warriors as a tool and listen to all of the advice these guys are throwing your way: they've "been there, done that." Bottom line, really think about your decision before you tie the knot. Good luck!

BackOrdered

Contributor
Do not get married for reasons OTHER than being in love (debatable, I know Brett and MB). Don't get married to settle some "kid custody" issues... DISASTER! On top of all of this, why the hell would you get married in college?? I never understand this! Marriage (traditionally, yes I know religion plays a part) is about transferring the bride from her parents household into her husbands household and starting a family. If both of you are sucking off the teat of mommy and daddy (unless you support yourselves) and are still in school and not on your own, what the hell is the point of marriage? Just wait until you have a real job and support yourselves to get hitched!

I never quite got it either. The motto on my family crest if we had one would read, "Don't get married until E-6." or in this case 28-30 basically. The early years after high school are about establishing yourself, exploring the world, being somewhat reckless, and having the biggest shot at the freedom to do whatever the hell you want without being tied down to anyone other than yourself. Marriage brings that to a halt as does having a kid. Everything now revolves around their well being and happiness (as it should) and suddenly you aren't so free anymore. So yeah, never got getting married young. A gf I had in college a year ago had the same exact story (ex husband w/kid and all) and was pushing me for marriage. We haven't spoken since.