• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Married in/directly after TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvoren

I'm currently on IRR at the moment awaiting orders presumably to TBS. That being said, I'm looking to get engaged in the next month or two and married after graduation so I have a few questions I could not find elsewhere on the site. Her and I have already talked about it and thankfully her father is a ret. Lt. Col so she knows somewhat of what she is getting into.

1. With the time frame as is, 6 march report date, 12 sept graduation, what are some of your experiences with marines getting leave in that time frame/viable holidays? Obviously I'd enjoy to be next to my eventual spouse in order to propose to her. She lives in Florida so that makes things tricky.

2. Given the success of the former, when would be a date I could presumably set and attend a wedding? (again, in Florida). I realize there could be a gap or no gap at all between TBS and MOS school, could I request leave to do so or would the better suggestion be wait to get married until after MOS school?

3. If we got married in between TBS and MOS, would she need to make the trek on her own to place X or would I be able to go get/help her? Obviously this is all dependent upon what my report date to MOS school is.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

S/F

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
1. July 4th weekend if you're not in the field. Better yet, after TBS. You won't score leave during TBS. Are you an air contract?

2. Here's the deal with getting married between commands....In order to get to move with dependents, your orders have to say you have dependents. In order for your orders to say that, your wife has to be in DEERS and in your OQR. In order for that to happen you have to be married before the orders are written. So, no love getting your wife to or from anywhere if you get married in between.

Galvoren

Thank you for the reply. I've lurked here for a few years and usually get more information here than out of anywhere else.

I am not currently a contract, no. Screwed up Paperwork as it was I was unable to secure one in time. I've heard mentioned there is a spot or two in TBS. I either get it or I dont. Either way I'll remain a Marine doing Marine things.

-Good to know. It makes sense enough. I'll have to put in for leave the moment I get there for the July 4th weekend - assuming its not a FEX - if not, my timeline will fit the marine corps.

.... "if they wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one with your seabag."

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
And I'm waiting for this thread to take it's normal course....

Regardless of how this thread devolves, I'll say do it when the time is right for you when the leave, training sched and all that align.

Now cue MB and Brett...

Galvoren

With respect, I will assume MarineMike's question of whether or not I was contracted and your "cue MB and Brett" are related. If this breaks forum registration rules I apologize. I've been in the dark for the last year on IRR without a word from my old command or HQMC. I'm projected to report in march and have yet to receive orders. I've received more word from reading the forum in general than to anywhere else.

Whether or not I receive the ban hammer, thank you for the response TheBubba. I was looking for some advice from Marines who hopefully had seen something similar.

S/F

Edit: Typos

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Had nothing to do with the contract or that you're IRR right now. And no rules broken, and no ban in your future for this thread.

It's a bit of an inside joke marinated and some people's (including mine) personal experiences. It wasn't aimed at you. And I truly do wish nothing but the best for you and yours. [smileys in effect]

jcj

Re: the MB, TheBubba & Brett experience thing - there's a big hint in TheBubba's avatar. Going for popcorn...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And I'm waiting for this thread to take it's normal course....

Regardless of how this thread devolves, I'll say do it when the time is right for you when the leave, training sched and all that align.

Now cue MB and Brett...
I've grown weary of dispensing advice to those who think they know better. Life's painfull lessons will be their teacher.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I've grown weary of dispensing advice to those who think they know better. Life's painfull lessons will be their teacher.

Brett

Yes, they will. In fact, even after all of that, I'm taking the plunge again. Moral of the story is think those things out and make sure you are on the same page as the other person.

The three good things that came out of it are, in order: 1. Mini-Bubba 2. The girl I'm going to marry, and I'll tell you that if things hadn't happened they way they did, I'd not have met her and 3. A lot of life experience and some good lessons learned.

I'll say the lesson learned is if you have any doubts, don't do it. I had doubts last time. This time... None. I'll never say don't get married (and FTR, I never did). I'll just say be very careful... and go through a deployment dating/engaged first. We've done a deployment and a set of workups.

Maybe its time to change the avatar...

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Congratulations on the engagement, Bubba. It sounds like you have a rock-solid perspective on things.

MasterBates

Bubba's pretty spot on..If there is any feeling of doubt.. THERE IS NO DOUBT>

RUN THE FUCK AWAY. See if you "make it" through a deployment. Being deployed in the middle of your marriage going down the tubes sucks balls. Been there. Done that. Also got divorced in the middle of flight school, and it was getting finalized when I was in FCLPs. Again, sucks balls.

See if she makes it through a deployment. Flight School / TBS "wife" =/= deployment capable wife. Some women just can't handle you being gone. Best to find out BEFORE it's "permanent"

And for the record, me and the GF are not getting married anytime soon, but both of our families won't stop harassing us about it. And she was around through a deployment. And moved with me across country.

Also, if an imminent minion is the reason for wanting to tie the knot, remember this-

You'll be on the hook for child support regardless. Don't add alimony to your troubles.

phrogpilot73

And then there are those of us who don't have the life experience of TheBubba or MB, and don't have the bitter outlook on marriage that Brett does. And wouldn't change a thing.

MB has good advice, if there is doubt - don't do it, let it survive a deployment as well. PSW and I got married before we both deployed, but it's a little different when you're mil-mil. At least you know your spouse: 1. understands deployment and that it's NOT your choice, and 2. is self-sufficient. Now that I'm a reservist, PSW has benefited from fact #3. I know how to pack for deployment, and can do so for her when she's going on short notice and she's still at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.