• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into Navy ocs

NavyFanatic32

would you recommend I enlist first then if I want to do PAO? I have a bachelor's degree, not sure if that would give me any sort of advantage to other E-1s..
Personally I would never recommend enlisting especially if you have a degree. Quality of life is a big difference along with the pay. I would just take the OAR again, shoot for as high as possible and see what you may be competitive for. You can submit to up to 3 boards at a time I believe. You would just rank them.

PEFO Silver-Shades

My score on the OAR was a 44 so not great. Im retaking it again in August. I'm really interested in becoming a Public Affairs Officer and if I'm being honest, it's what I wanted to do originally but my recruiter pushed me to do Naval Flight Officer instead, which is why I have been having such a tough time with the ASTB because you need a much higher score to get into Aviation. Am I allowed to switch my designator before submitting my final packet to the boards for OCS? I haven't applied to OCS yet
Youre not Applying for OCS directly, youre more so Applying for a certain Designator (I.E NFO, PAO, SNA) if you are selected when those designator boards convene. youll be given a OCS date to attend. therefore you need to select a specific designator to apply too

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know.. If I'm being honest, I want to go as a Public Affairs Officer but he told me that it isn't a "good path" and to push for aviation instead. Not sure if he gets paid for recruiting a certain amount of Aviation designators or what but it certainly feels like there is a reason he wants me to do Aviation so badly and apply as a Naval Flight Officer because he isn't really taking into account what I want to do.
To be perfectly frank, it sounds to me like you don't know what you want to do in the Navy. PAO is almost certainly out of the question, and I do not recommend you diving into another designator, like NFO, that you don't know anything about and aren't passionate for. What's your degree in? Why Navy? Why military? What's your long term goal beyond a potential 4-8 year period in the Navy? What do you want to be when you grow up, because Naval Officer doesn't seem like that's your thing. It seems like a place holder until you figure things out.

Youre not Applying for OCS directly, youre more so Applying for a certain Designator (I.E NFO, PAO, SNA) if you are selected when those designator boards convene. youll be given a OCS date to attend. therefore you need to select a specific designator to apply too

yes and that designator that my recruiter wants me to apply to is NFO

To be perfectly frank, it sounds to me like you don't know what you want to do in the Navy. PAO is almost certainly out of the question, and I do not recommend you diving into another designator, like NFO, that you don't know anything about and aren't passionate for. What's your degree in? Why Navy? Why military? What's your long term goal beyond a potential 4-8 year period in the Navy? What do you want to be when you grow up, because Naval Officer doesn't seem like that's your thing. It seems like a place holder until you figure things out.
my degree is in communications. i've always wanted to join the military but decided the navy was the best branch for me. it is also the only branch that allows for all of my tattoos. that's the whole problem though, i'm not sure what i want to do in the navy and so i wanted to join to see what my options are however as an officer you can't just join for the hell of it, you need a specific designator; which brings me back to my original question in the first place, of whether i should just enlist first instead to see if i even like the military life before making that leap to officer rank

exNavyOffRec

my degree is in communications. i've always wanted to join the military but decided the navy was the best branch for me. it is also the only branch that allows for all of my tattoos. that's the whole problem though, i'm not sure what i want to do in the navy and so i wanted to join to see what my options are however as an officer you can't just join for the hell of it, you need a specific designator; which brings me back to my original question in the first place, of whether i should just enlist first instead to see if i even like the military life before making that leap to officer rank
If you aren't sure you would like it then you really won't like it as an enlisted, worst case is you go enlisted and you are being told by some 19 year old woman who barely graduated HS that you need to clean the toilets this week.

I am just going to say it, but as bad as guys can be with hygiene, women can be worse, they seem to have more extremes good and bad, while guys hang more between the average and bad area.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
it is also the only branch that allows for all of my tattoos.
What tattoos of yours does the Navy allow that the other services do not? Also, that's a horrible criterion to base a service decision on. Why not get into corporate PR or journalism? What was your post-college plan when you decided to get a communications degree?

The more we learn about you, the more I question whether the military is a good fit. Sounds more like you're into the military because they'll settle for you. I'm not sensing a great desire to serve, or kill people if we go to war.

What tattoos of yours does the Navy allow that the other services do not? Also, that's a horrible criterion to base a service decision on. Why not get into corporate PR or journalism? What was your post-college plan when you decided to get a communications degree?

The more we learn about you, the more I question whether the military is a good fit. Sounds more like you're into the military because they'll settle for you. I'm not sensing a great desire to serve, or kill people if we go to war.
I know it’s a horrible criterion to go on but unfortunately tattoos do disqualify me from majority of the branches. I have finger tattoos and a sleeve. But the Navy is the best fit for me, I want to be by the coast and to travel - my cousin is in the Navy and so I’ve been told his experience first hand and he loves it. I majored in Communications because it’s very broad and while I was in college, I was young and confused with what I wanted to do with my life. Not everyone knows what they want to do (and many of us pick a career and end up changing it because how are we supposed to pick a life long career at the age of 18?) Moving forward, the original field that I wanted to go into in the Navy was Public Affairs Officer - I am very passionate about journalism and broadcasting and took many radio and PR classes in college. However, I was told it was nearly impossible to do so obviously I can’t do that anymore. Which is why I am again lost and trying to find a field that would be a good fit for me while serving in the military. I want to join the military and that decision hasn’t changed. Even when I graduated high school I wanted to join but decided to get my college degree first. There’s no doubt in my mind I want to join

Mos

None
I know it’s a horrible criterion to go on but unfortunately tattoos do disqualify me from majority of the branches. I have finger tattoos and a sleeve. But the Navy is the best fit for me, I want to be by the coast and to travel - my cousin is in the Navy and so I’ve been told his experience first hand and he loves it. I majored in Communications because it’s very broad and while I was in college, I was young and confused with what I wanted to do with my life. Not everyone knows what they want to do (and many of us pick a career and end up changing it because how are we supposed to pick a life long career at the age of 18?) Moving forward, the original field that I wanted to go into in the Navy was Public Affairs Officer - I am very passionate about journalism and broadcasting and took many radio and PR classes in college. However, I was told it was nearly impossible to do so obviously I can’t do that anymore. Which is why I am again lost and trying to find a field that would be a good fit for me while serving in the military. I want to join the military and that decision hasn’t changed. Even when I graduated high school I wanted to join but decided to get my college degree first. There’s no doubt in my mind I want to join
Some food for thought:
  • the Navy has inland bases and facilities
  • the Navy has nice bases and not so nice bases
  • when I applied for officer accession as a civilian 12 years ago, I applied for three different designators. Unless that is no longer allowed, I don't see why you wouldn't try for PAO in addition to NFO
  • if you're contemplating enlisting because you want to serve in the military but you're just not sure you've got the moxie for something more and want to find out if you do, just understand that you're entertaining committing to 4 years of your life doing that
  • if you're going to apply for NFO, ensure you have some understanding of what NFOs do; peruse the forum as this has been discussed at length.

exNavyOffRec

Not throwing any judgement, as I also have some ink, but how many PR or broadcasting jobs do you think are open to you if you have visible tattoos on your hands. Get that shit removed.

Not wrong, being in the corporate world and working next to our PR team for years I know the head guy had lots of tattoos but none were visible just like the rest of the team, not saying you won't find one but it would be difficult.