• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into Navy ocs

You are so welcome! And keep us updated on what you end up doing. Just remember, a lot of people on here have opinions and experiences, just make the decision that is calling you the most and go with it!!
You’re so right, I appreciate that!!

amf0229

Pro Rec Y SNFO
Like I said before, I have hand tattoos and full sleeves. It doesn't take away from my professionalism in the slightest. I get great evals, made rank as quickly as I would have without tattoos, and have always been taken seriously because I know my job, love my job, and do it well. It's 2021. Tattoos are normal. As long as they are in good taste, they are not seen as a negative thing anymore. I don't think that you come off as not wanting to serve, I can tell you really want to join the Navy, you just want to make sure you do it right and I think that's a good thing. Ask the questions, don't get turned off my some of the negativity being thrown at you. I think they are just sizing you up and making sure you are in the right head space for this commitment. If you can't push past what people say to you on AW, the Navy will eat you alive. There are positive vibes all around. If you don't go Navy and go corporate, you can land a really great job and get experience in your field. If you go enlisted, you may or may not get a rating you like, you may end up doing 4 years and deciding fuck this I'm out, but at least you leave with your GI Bill and experiences, plus with your degree and being a veteran and possibly with a security clearance form the Navy, may land a great civilian job after service. You may end up loving it and staying enlisted. You might end up getting picked up for officer in the designator you want. You may end up getting picked for officer in a designator you least expected. The point is, life is too fucking short to sit around wondering what if? Weigh your pros and cons, and take control of your life. I think you're going to do great things.

P.S. don't get your finger tats removed unless that's something you want to do. Your tattoos are a representation of you, and you should never water yourself down for someone else's approval. You fit somewhere exactly as you are, you just gotta find where that somewhere is.

Like I said before, I have hand tattoos and full sleeves. It doesn't take away from my professionalism in the slightest. I get great evals, made rank as quickly as I would have without tattoos, and have always been taken seriously because I know my job, love my job, and do it well. It's 2021. Tattoos are normal. As long as they are in good taste, they are not seen as a negative thing anymore. I don't think that you come off as not wanting to serve, I can tell you really want to join the Navy, you just want to make sure you do it right and I think that's a good thing. Ask the questions, don't get turned off my some of the negativity being thrown at you. I think they are just sizing you up and making sure you are in the right head space for this commitment. If you can't push past what people say to you on AW, the Navy will eat you alive. There are positive vibes all around. If you don't go Navy and go corporate, you can land a really great job and get experience in your field. If you go enlisted, you may or may not get a rating you like, you may end up doing 4 years and deciding fuck this I'm out, but at least you leave with your GI Bill and experiences, plus with your degree and being a veteran and possibly with a security clearance form the Navy, may land a great civilian job after service. You may end up loving it and staying enlisted. You might end up getting picked up for officer in the designator you want. You may end up getting picked for officer in a designator you least expected. The point is, life is too fucking short to sit around wondering what if? Weigh your pros and cons, and take control of your life. I think you're going to do great things.

P.S. don't get your finger tats removed unless that's something you want to do. Your tattoos are a representation of you, and you should never water yourself down for someone else's approval. You fit somewhere exactly as you are, you just gotta find where that somewhere is.

Wow. Thank you so much for this.. Means a lot. I’m proud of my tattoos and you’re right I shouldn’t have to change for ANYONE. At the end of the day, I know the Navy is for me and I’m going to go for it. Life is too short. Thank you again for this, I appreciate it

exNavyOffRec

It's 2021. Tattoos are normal.
Depending on what you do in the corporate world after the USN you will see they still aren't, in general if you can't see them in short sleeve shirt and slacks no one will know.

A person can make their own decisions on if or where they want tattoo's, but that same person needs to be prepared for any limitations that may come along with it.

amf0229

Pro Rec Y SNFO
Wow. Thank you so much for this.. Means a lot. I’m proud of my tattoos and you’re right I shouldn’t have to change for ANYONE. At the end of the day, I know the Navy is for me and I’m going to go for it. Life is too short. Thank you again for this, I appreciate it
You’re welcome, and GOOD LUCK!

amf0229

Pro Rec Y SNFO
Depending on what you do in the corporate world after the USN you will see they still aren't, in general if you can't see them in short sleeve shirt and slacks no one will know.

A person can make their own decisions on if or where they want tattoo's, but that same person needs to be prepared for any limitations that may come along with it.

Oh of course. That’s why I say we all fit in somewhere exactly as we are we just gotta find that place. Tattoos are widely accepted, so people with tattoos or who want to get tattoos have to make that grown up decision of like, what do I want to do with my life? Will this hinder my chances of being taken as a professional in my field? Should I not get tattoos based off my career goals? Or maybe should I change career paths based of off the fact that I want tattoos? Just gotta find the right balance.

exNavyOffRec

Oh of course. That’s why I say we all fit in somewhere exactly as we are we just gotta find that place. Tattoos are widely accepted, so people with tattoos or who want to get tattoos have to make that grown up decision of like, what do I want to do with my life? Will this hinder my chances of being taken as a professional in my field? Should I not get tattoos based off my career goals? Or maybe should I change career paths based of off the fact that I want tattoos? Just gotta find the right balance.

unfortunately I see many veterans who don't realize that, they are trying to go into customer facing corporate jobs but can't get past the "in person interview" due to their full sleeve tattoo's or/or hand tattoos, there are other jobs where it isn't an issue.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you go pilot and are thinking about The Show afterwards, don't have any visible tattoos.

RainaT09

would you recommend I enlist first then if I want to do PAO? I have a bachelor's degree, not sure if that would give me any sort of advantage to other E-1s..
Since you have a bachelor degree, you would come in as an E-3. Additionally, depending on the rate (job) you pick, there's an automatic advancement for E-4.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are a total of 10 bases in Missouri. Three are from the Army and three are from the Air Force. There is one Navy base, two Navy bases and one Coast Guard base.
Bye bye spammer.

Last edited by a moderator: