• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting In

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
SAT's and stuff are important but they also look to see that you are well rounded. Sports, community involvement and stuff like that help. Also, if you can show leadership ability that will help your case (stuff like team captain, class officer, nhs officer, eagle scout or scout leadership also help).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
My first semester (year maybe?) in highschool I had less than a 3.0 GPA with a C in chemistry, but I really got the fire in my gut to go to USNA and turned things around. By the time I graduated, I had a 3.98 GPA in high school with a 1270 SAT (old version). I was the captain of the football team (and also selected all region), captain of the baseball team, and captain of the track team (all state 800 meters). I was also in the Beta Club, and had a few pilot hours. I took all AP classes my senior year, and AP Anatomy and AP Calculus BC my Junior year. I was accepted direct to USAFA and not USNA. I chose to go to the Naval Academy Preperatory School (NAPS) instead. (Well actually after 1st BCT at USAFA, but thats a long story...;) ) So it can be done!

Hit the SAT prep books hard. One thing I did was take the practice SATs that were in the books. Challenge yourself in the most advanced classes you can, and work your butt off to do well. After all the Academy is not going to accept excuses if you do poorly in calc or chem plebe year, etc.

If you REALLY want to go to USNA and you're grades aren't quite on par, ask about NAPS or the foundation program. You basically do a year of prep school and when you're done if you have a 2.0 or higher you go to USNA.

My dad was the director of candidate guidance and sat on the admissions boards at USNA for 3 years, so if you have any more specific questions let me know and I will pass them on to him. Good luck.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks. SAT scores are really important I heard. It kinda sucks that I suck at standardized tests. But my actual grades are pretty good.

Dude, take the ACT. ACT = easier, plus they look at the grades just the same as the SAT. It's all I used and it worked out great for me.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Just to give you another idea. I'm a 2005 grad.

Just to give you an idea...

I have a friend who was accepted to the USNA this year.

She had a 4.something with all of the possible advanced / AP classes. Including Calculus, AP Us History / English / Psychology, etc...

3.3 or so, one AP class (Calculus) and damn near failed it.

She got a 1220 on her SAT if I recall correctly (which isn't outstanding)
1250 SAT.

Her PFT scores weren't the greatest either.
Could barely run a mile and a half when I graduated HS. Did decent on the fitness eval.. in every event except the shuttle run.

But, she was on varsity softball 4 years and was in tons of extracurriculars and really involved in the school.
2 years JV soccer, 3 years JV/Varsity wrestling and one club... involved a little, but not a huge amount. Had some community service and leadership through JROTC.

I'm not trying to brag or knock your friends accomplishment or anything. Just adding what my "stats" were just to give our prospective midshipman a wider view of what the Academy is looking for. It all goes to the well rounded person concept. They look for potential. If you're reasonably intelligent and willing to work hard for what you want, then you're on the right track for what the service academies are looking for.

Like I said before, the biggest thing now is to get on the admissions office radar. Take a look at the website, and fill out the request for info thing online. Do some research. There are a bunch of USNA mids and alums on AW... pick our brains.

Cheers,
Bubba

BugDriver

pilot
Does the summer seminar increase your chances of gaining an appointment?

Depends on how well you do there. You get a chance to see the Academy in person, but so does the Academy get a chance to see YOU in person. The Summer Seminar Cadre are upperclass Midshipmen, and they are tasked with writing evaluations of your "performance" while you're there. Show up ready to PT, participate in everything, be respected by your peers, and PT some more; it'll be reflected in your application.

Circle K

pilot
Getting into Summer Seminar will help you a great deal, assuming you're not a screw off when you get there. There are more applications to seminar and less avalible spots than the actual plebe class. More than one person in my squad during seminar applied and attended with absolutely no intention of attending USNA. Apparently it looks really good on other applications as well, who knew... Of the ten or so people that I met and kept in contact with from seminar, none who decided to apply were denied, one went to prep, but mostly for USNA's unique way of "redshirting" football players.

Note: All this information is pretty dated, especially application numbers.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I didn't do Seminar, but when I was at school it seemed like the academy took it pretty seriously, at least they seemed to try and pick solid mids for the cadre. If you do it, just throw yourself into it 100%. I'm not a real gung ho kinda guy but I think seminar would be a good time to display a strong desire to learn everything you can about the academy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got rejected for the summer seminar but got a letter of assurance to the academy, so that didn't hurt me apparently.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
At Summer Seminar they grade you on your potential and actually fill out a fitness report for each candidate. Those reports are sent to the admission board with your complete packed. Since its creation around 30% of each class entering USNA went to SS. It give you a good look at if the life is for you.

Bulk up on math and science courses, having a strong technical background is a big help when applying. Also get involved in sports and the community. Volunteer and record what you are doing.

Finally prepare yourself for your interviews. Think about why you want to be at the academy and what motives you have to be in the Navy. Express yourself during the interview, don't just sit and be nervous. If you can't do this well take a public speaking class so you feel more comfortable.

Sorry I started to ramble. Good luck.