• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting In

Horseshoe

I know that the academies are very difficult to gain admission to, and that competition for an appointment is very high, but for all of you that go there or went there, or just know a lot about what they are looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently a sophomore in highschool, so I need to start preparing myself. Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I know that the academies are very difficult to gain admission to, and that competition for an appointment is very high, but for all of you that go there or went there, or just know a lot about what they are looking for, I would greatly appreciate it. I am currently a sophomore in highschool, so I need to start preparing myself. Thanks.

Apply for the Summer Seminar your junior year of high school.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
It will more tell you how competitive you are than anything. If you want sound advice for getting in, cover your bases by getting a nomination, getting good grades/test scores, and play a sport. The Academy isn't neccessarily about getting the best students, but the best well-rounded people.

Horseshoe

Thanks. SAT scores are really important I heard. It kinda sucks that I suck at standardized tests. But my actual grades are pretty good.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Thanks. SAT scores are really important I heard. It kinda sucks that I suck at standardized tests. But my actual grades are pretty good.

Get a cram book. Get two. Go through them, and familiarize yourself with the kinds of questions that occur and how they will be asked.

Test taking is all about confidence.

Horseshoe

At my school, classes are divided into 5 types. Phase 1 being the lowest, and Phase 4 being the highest. Phase 5 is AP.

My strongest subject is literature, which I am in phase 4. In science and math I am in phase 2s, but I do good. Will this hurt me that my strong subject is english/literature?

Notso07

None
If your SAT scores aren't so hot consider taking one of the SAT prep classes some companies offer, I have had friends who thought they helped, but I've never taken one myself. Opt to take more advanced (honors and AP) classes if they are available rather than coasting in the easy ones. Extracurriculars definitely count more here than most schools, get involved in stuff, whether it be an athletic team, a community service organization, or a church group, get involved with something. Demonstrated leadership ability on the athletic field or within some organization means a lot here. Definitely talk to your blue and gold officer, and prepare well for your interview for a nomination with your congressman, be ready to answer the question "Why do you want to come to the Naval Academy?" don't make a prepared statement, just give it a lot of thought so you can give a good answer. Start thinking about which teachers and members of the community you can get references from. A good reference letter will really help when the admissions board is trying to decide which of two very similar candidates to accept. The competition is steep here, and there is certainly a lot of emphasis placed on SATs, but not having a 1500 doesn't mean you don't have a chance. The academies do tend to take a more whole person approach than other schools, because they are looking to develop you as a whole person, not just academically.

Srtitan89

I do well. Will this hurt me that my strong subject is english/literature?

If your strong subject is english, make sure to use excellent grammar when you're writing your letters. Also, the interview is important. When I had my interview for the USNA, I had a former colonel come to my house; frankly, I was nervous as hell.

The thing I can't stress enough is be honest with him and with yourself. I almost decided to go to the Academy, but I finally realized it wasn't what I wanted to do. I gave him the answers I knew he wanted to hear, but not all of them were truthful, such as my motives for wanting to go.

But if you do get this far, just relax and be honest. The academy may or may not be for you.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
At my school, classes are divided into 5 types. Phase 1 being the lowest, and Phase 4 being the highest. Phase 5 is AP.

My strongest subject is literature, which I am in phase 4. In science and math I am in phase 2s, but I do good. Will this hurt me that my strong subject is english/literature?

It won't hurt that your strongest subject is literature, but with any college that's extremely competitive, know that you're going up against students (who under your school's system) have taken classes in the 4-5 range in all subjects.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What is your question???....greatly appreciate what?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
My strongest subject is literature, which I am in phase 4... but I do good.

I know it's been touched upon, but I couldn't resist.

I've spoken with people very intimate with the selection of candidates, and I can tell you they want to see strong science and math. Even been told liberal arts majors aren't "real" (my backup is to work at McDonalds with my history degree). Bump up your math and science if you want any shot. When you sit there and try to rationalize or pump your tires, not saying you do but everyone does at some point, just remember there are 300 other people exactly like you, and chances are they're in better classes with better grades, so you need to do something to make yourself more appealing.

Srtitan89

Just to give you an idea...

I have a friend who was accepted to the USNA this year.

She had a 4.something with all of the possible advanced / AP classes. Including Calculus, AP Us History / English / Psychology, etc... She got a 1220 on her SAT if I recall correctly (which isn't outstanding). Her PFT scores weren't the greatest either. But, she was on varsity softball 4 years and was in tons of extracurriculars and really involved in the school.

She wasn't phenomenal in anything, but she was pretty good in it all. The whole rounded person concept really is what they are looking for.

I also know another guy who applied and got denied. He had a 4.0 with a 780 (I think) SAT math score and had taken a lot of AP classes. However, he had almost no extracurriculars and only an average PFT score.