• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting back to running

Status
Not open for further replies.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Okay, so I haven't ran in quite a while b/c I was trying to gain a few pounds. Now that I decided I am going to go for OCC 190 I need to get back in the groove. Do you think its okay to run 1.81 miles to the gym, work out, and then run the 1.81 miles home or is that too much for starting back at it? I am 24 and in relatively good shape, just not cardio shape.

I wanted to make sure it is okay to log 3.6 miles round trip on my legs since I am starting fresh. I think it should be okay but I figured I might as well ask and see what your opinions are.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Listen to your legs, if you start getting sore knees and whatnot right away, slow it down a little. Other than that, 3.6 isn't far.

T-man

What DocT said... on that note, if you start getting sore, I wouldn't quit using your legs to go to/from the gym... instead, maybe walk 1 direction at a fast pace, or somesuch.

When I started preparing back in January (granted I was 60lbs overweight) about 95% of my cardio workout was just walking. It wasn't until the last 1.5-2 months that I really started running.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Sounds good. I am a good weight- 160 for 5'11, so its just getting the miles logged that I need. I figure I want to be able to smash a PFT come the end of July in time for the August board. Right now I am good to go on pull ups pretty much and I shouldn't have a problem getting to 100 crunches.... Just gotta get motivated to run. Plus, I want to get myself used to running distances greater than 5 miles so that when OCS begins my body is ready for it. If accepted, I will be leaving a great job and foregoing GW Law so if I got injured it would be devistating.

Which.... Leads me to believe that I should make the wise decision and defer to GW Law for one year just to be safe.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E6286 said:
Okay, so I haven't ran in quite a while b/c I was trying to gain a few pounds. Now that I decided I am going to go for OCC 190 I need to get back in the groove. Do you think its okay to run 1.81 miles to the gym, work out, and then run the 1.81 miles home or is that too much for starting back at it? I am 24 and in relatively good shape, just not cardio shape.

I wanted to make sure it is okay to log 3.6 miles round trip on my legs since I am starting fresh. I think it should be okay but I figured I might as well ask and see what your opinions are.
Whoa! Hold the phones. 1.81 miles each way is too much. The absolute max is 1.78, each way. Everyone knows this.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
LoL... sorry haha. I just copied/pasted what mapquest told me. I just wasn't sure if 3.5 plus miles was a good place to be starting. However, I just got back from the run and I am fine. A little sore, but nothing stretching shouldnt fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.